Loud turbo whistle

MrMxaxs

Reaction score
Hey guys I have 04 6.0 late build. I've been outrying in town a few times and heard other 6.0s with crazy loud turbo whistle whether it's at idle or on the throttle. I was curious to see if any of you could explain to me what they did for there turbo to be so loud? Thanks in advanced!!

sootie

Reaction score
the probably have an 03 to early 04 with a 7 blade turbine

MrMxaxs

Reaction score
I was kinda wondering about that. I mean I can hear the turbo on mine plenty at idle but nothing like there's especially when I press the gas the engine seems to tune it out mostlyrics after that.

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Yep, 03/04 based turbo, or a Pmax......the turbine is a 10 blade vs 13 blades that came in the 05+ versions.

If you don't want to swap turbos you can tear the turbo apart and swap out a 10 blade turbine, I have an extra one on my shelf with a rebuild kit if you're interested

6ohthatsfast

Reaction score
Get a powermax stage 1 or another aftermarket turbo and you'll be sounding good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMxaxs

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm gonna change turbos but mine is gonna have to come off soon so I can change the oil cooler. I always thought if I changed it I would want to go with a compound turbo but I don't know very much about them.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you decide to do a new one, talk to Charlie with KC Turbos. His turbos flow more than a powermax, and you cant beat his customer service. Compounds get real complicated piping wise on the 6.0 from what i have seen, and make it a pain in the ass to work on.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I'd grab a KC Stage 2 but I have stock injectors so I feel like I would just be handicapping the Turbo.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'd grab a KC Stage 2 but I have stock injectors so I feel like I would just be handicapping the Turbo.

Having put a stage 2 on a truck withstock injectors and a pretty hot gear head tune before, i will say, it runs really good. It cleaned up every bit of smoke that the stock turbo wasnt, and with it having a basically stock turbine wheel, it spooled pretty decent too.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Having put a stage 2 on a truck withstock injectors and a pretty hot gear head tune before, i will say, it runs really good. It cleaned up every bit of smoke that the stock turbo wasnt, and with it having a basically stock turbine wheel, it spooled pretty decent too.

Really? I see that IDP claims 440rwhp on there race tune stock turbo .....so if you had to guess a KC Stage 2 on a good GH or IDP tune power wise what would it be? GH and IDP are who I will try tune wise.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You would probably only see a few hp gain, but cleaning up the smoke is worth it in my opinion. The idp tunes are great, i would recommend them hands down. Havent had much experience with the gear head, except the test drive in that truck. Lots of good things ive heard about his tunes though.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
You would probably only see a few hp gain, but cleaning up the smoke is worth it in my opinion. The idp tunes are great, i would recommend them hands down. Havent had much experience with the gear head, except the test drive in that truck. Lots of good things ive heard about his tunes though.

It would for sure whistle though right? Lol.....so obviously the big power would come from adding the injectors combined with the KC Stage 2.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes, the stage 2 is noisy as ***. LOL especially if straight piped, im sure my neighbors loved me leaving at 5:30 or so in the morning. I liked it on mine with 190/30s, i stepped up to the three to help get some data for Charlie, as far as towing and what not. The 2 is a great all around charger, and cleaned up the 190s pretty well, but that was about the max of what yhe turbo would clean up.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Yes, the stage 2 is noisy as ***. LOL especially if straight piped, im sure my neighbors loved me leaving at 5:30 or so in the morning. I liked it on mine with 190/30s, i stepped up to the three to help get some data for Charlie, as far as towing and what not. The 2 is a great all around charger, and cleaned up the 190s pretty well, but that was about the max of what yhe turbo would clean up.

I love noisy ......yes the truck will be 5" straight piped. My Mustang is open x pipe. Neighbors actually love it. Got lucky I guess. Injector talk on Diesel's sounds so Chinese to me......so 190/30's is what I would want? To do that just send my stock ones out to have them done.... correct ?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I love noisy ......yes the truck will be 5" straight piped. My Mustang is open x pipe. Neighbors actually love it. Got lucky I guess. Injector talk on Diesel's sounds so Chinese to me......so 190/30's is what I would want? To do that just send my stock ones out to have them done.... correct ?

Yes, I would highly recommend the 190/30s. That is about as big as a stock hi pressure pump will support, I have had nothing but problems since switching to 205s on stock oil. I even bought a new oem pump thinking my hi mileage one was getting weak, but it didn't change anything. Some guys get lucky I guess, but I'm not one of them. The issue is only on my race tune, daily driving is just fine.

190/30 means that the injector body holds 190cc of fuel, and the 30 means that the nozzle is 30% larger than stock.

As far as getting them reworked, you just send your old ones out, that is correct. Rykan with Holder's Diesel had mine about 2-3 days both times I had them done. The first time I sent them out normal, and they were out about a week and a half with the shipping to his shop. The second time I was in a hurry as the NHRDA was coming to town, overnighted them on a Thursday, and had them back on Tuesday. His customer service is awesome as well.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Yes, I would highly recommend the 190/30s. That is about as big as a stock hi pressure pump will support, I have had nothing but problems since switching to 205s on stock oil. I even bought a new oem pump thinking my hi mileage one was getting weak, but it didn't change anything. Some guys get lucky I guess, but I'm not one of them. The issue is only on my race tune, daily driving is just fine.

190/30 means that the injector body holds 190cc of fuel, and the 30 means that the nozzle is 30% larger than stock.

As far as getting them reworked, you just send your old ones out, that is correct. Rykan with Holder's Diesel had mine about 2-3 days both times I had them done. The first time I sent them out normal, and they were out about a week and a half with the shipping to his shop. The second time I was in a hurry as the NHRDA was coming to town, overnighted them on a Thursday, and had them back on Tuesday. His customer service is awesome as well.

Ok good deal....I've heard nothing but great things about Rykan. Is there a good aftermarket Hpop to go with i know there is a few but don't know which one is popular. My buddy runs the Adrenaline I believe but it's a 7.3. another question can I run around on the race tune all the time? I baby the truck 99% of the time just going to work and back but I want the power there in case I run into another truck to play with......

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok good deal....I've heard nothing but great things about Rykan. Is there a good aftermarket Hpop to go with i know there is a few but don't know which one is popular. My buddy runs the Adrenaline I believe but it's a 7.3. another question can I run around on the race tune all the time? I baby the truck 99% of the time just going to work and back but I want the power there in case I run into another truck to play with......

What year truck? If its an 05-newer, about the only one I can think of off hand is the RCD Thumper II, but I have heard those have problems. Diesel Sites website says they are working on a late pump setup as well, but that hasn't changed for over a year or so, so they may have abandoned the idea. If it is an 03-04, there is the adrenaline, honey badger, and if you can get ahold of him terminator t-500 upgrade. I have been reading in the 7.3 section the guy who does the terminator stuff is somewhat getting out of it, so that may not be an option. The adrenaline has the same warranty as stock, but I couldn't swing the 1300 for it at the time.

Everything I have read has indicated that all the after market pumps are not as reliable as stock, but if you need more oil and only want to run stock stuff, a dual pump setup would be the only way to go, but that mucks up the engine bay pretty good, and gives you more chit to fail at some point, such as lines and all what not.

As far as running on a race tune most of the time, if it has decent street manners you shouldn't have a problem. My tsd spd tune, is their "race" tune, and has pretty decent street mannners, and I have no issue running it daily. My idp tune makes about 75 horse more, but has absolutely 0 street manners. it is a handful just driving it to the track. The throttle is a light switch, which makes it extremely difficult to drive. It runs great at the track though.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
What year truck? If its an 05-newer, about the only one I can think of off hand is the RCD Thumper II, but I have heard those have problems. Diesel Sites website says they are working on a late pump setup as well, but that hasn't changed for over a year or so, so they may have abandoned the idea. If it is an 03-04, there is the adrenaline, honey badger, and if you can get ahold of him terminator t-500 upgrade. I have been reading in the 7.3 section the guy who does the terminator stuff is somewhat getting out of it, so that may not be an option. The adrenaline has the same warranty as stock, but I couldn't swing the 1300 for it at the time.

Everything I have read has indicated that all the after market pumps are not as reliable as stock, but if you need more oil and only want to run stock stuff, a dual pump setup would be the only way to go, but that mucks up the engine bay pretty good, and gives you more chit to fail at some point, such as lines and all what not.

As far as running on a race tune most of the time, if it has decent street manners you shouldn't have a problem. My tsd spd tune, is their "race" tune, and has pretty decent street mannners, and I have no issue running it daily. My idp tune makes about 75 horse more, but has absolutely 0 street manners. it is a handful just driving it to the track. The throttle is a light switch, which makes it extremely difficult to drive. It runs great at the track though.

My truck is an O4 so the Adrenaline or Honey Badger? Ok good deal on the race tune for a daily hopefully they can nail it down.

Latest posts

Members online