Low boost after torque-tow install!

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Truck won't build more than 28-29lbs of boost & my EGT's are high. Have a sucking air sound coming from around the turbos, maybe up-pipes? Just hoping I didn't crack the up pipes during the install. But wouldn't that make a hiss, whistle sound? Gonna get a can of ether & start spraying around to see if picks up the ether from anywhere.

Reaction score
Truck won't build more than 28-29lbs of boost & my EGT's are high. Have a sucking air sound coming from around the turbos, maybe up-pipes? Just hoping I didn't crack the up pipes during the install. But wouldn't that make a hiss, whistle sound? Gonna get a can of ether & start spraying around to see if picks up the ether from anywhere.

Check your actuator to make sure it is moving and plugged in. Check your boots too, very easy to get oil on them and have one come loose and leak boost out.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Yes double check all boots for them being loose, or having slid off. I would think up pipes would make a leaking sound and youd have soot starting to show under the hood.... If your turbos were apart make sure housings and turbos are tight together as well.

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Yes double check all boots for them being loose, or having slid off. I would think up pipes would make a leaking sound and youd have soot starting to show under the hood.... If your turbos were apart make sure housings and turbos are tight together as well.

No soot, I'll check boots but 99.9% it's nothing to do w/ them. The sound is up by the up pipes or where the turbos come together. I do not have bolted together, should they be? No bolts came w/ the turbos & from the pictures I took of my old set up before sending them out they didn't look to be either!

Actuator is working @ start up, dunno from there.

pog

Reaction score
No, turbos aren't bolted together. Can you crawl under the truck and see up pipes see if they are cracked? Maybe run your hand along them and if you get any soot? You can see if vgt actuator is working by driving and seeing vgt cycle duty if you have dashdaq. 95% at idle and I think below 20% at wot.

Last edited:

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
I only have an SCT, I will crawl under it & check, where are they prone to crack @?

pog

Reaction score
I only have an SCT, I will crawl under it & check, where are they prone to crack @?

I haven't seen a set of stockers in a while. But I'm guessing where they mate to the exhaust manifolds. I think there is a bend and that's where they blow out.

Reaction score
They blow out on the bellows.

There could be a leak at the flanges too.

Make sure they are bolted up right and nothing is caught in there causing a gap when you tightened them up.

madman1234509

Reaction score
What I ment by the Turbos bolting together is the "hot pipe" between the Turbos. I can't remember without looking if torque tows have one of the stock style cast ones or a cast looking one with a waste gate adapter on it that come with elites bigger set ups. Maybe something on the hot pipe is loose?

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
What I ment by the Turbos bolting together is the "hot pipe" between the Turbos. I can't remember without looking if torque tows have one of the stock style cast ones or a cast looking one with a waste gate adapter on it that come with elites bigger set ups. Maybe something on the hot pipe is loose?

Ya that's what I was referring to when I asked if it should be bolted together. It's put together pretty tight, but that's right in the area where it sounds like it might be coming from. It's there or somewhere in the up-pipes.

madman1234509

Reaction score
By looking at pictures on elite diesels sit Id imagine there are 4 bolts attaching each turbo to the cast "hot pipe". So 8 bolts total, someone correct me if Im wrong

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Ya it can be heard under the hood.

The grey cast housing has a place where they join together for bolts but does not need to be. The turbos are not bolted to the housing just band clamped I believe. I could be wrong, wish I had them in front of me. Gonna get back on it Tueaday morning, gonna enjoy Reds opening day tomorrow!

BFT

Reaction score
By looking at pictures on elite diesels sit Id imagine there are 4 bolts attaching each turbo to the cast "hot pipe". So 8 bolts total, someone correct me if Im wrong

https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002007/Torque-Tow-Compounds/

If you look at the photo in this link, it looks as if they are bolted together. But its kind of hard to tell. Can you hear it if the truck is idling and you are up under the hood? Hope you get it figured out!

The turbos shouldn't be bolted together period, should go together like stock

Ya it can be heard under the hood.

The grey cast housing has a place where they join together for bolts but does not need to be. The turbos are not bolted to the housing just band clamped I believe. I could be wrong, wish I had them in front of me. Gonna get back on it Tueaday morning, gonna enjoy Reds opening day tomorrow!

There is a ring or collar that should've been installed along with another woven metal ring. Both should go on the atmosphere turbo

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
The turbos shouldn't be bolted together period, should go together like stock

There is a ring or collar that should've been installed along with another woven metal ring. Both should go on the atmosphere turbo

I got both of those in there, but I I did bolt them together to sit them in the truck, so they wouldn't come apart. Then took the bolts out, did I damage that collar by doing that?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.