low range and 4x4 light on

Zmann

Reaction score
the hub vacuum pulse is a predetermined length and strength (they both vary between the two functions) for either lock or unlock.

regardless now because He has manual hubs.

they key here is He has both low and high range lights illuminated at the same time
so if his transfer case isn't in 4x4 he won't have 4x4

get that sorted before worrying about hubs that are probably fine IMHO

JLDickmon

Reaction score
the hub vacuum pulse is a predetermined length and strength (they both vary between the two functions) for either lock or unlock.

regardless now because He has manual hubs.

they key here is He has both low and high range lights illuminated at the same time
IMHO

both lights illuminated at the same time is normal operation... IIRC (at least my truck has always worked that way)

So, that leaves us with a couple of scenarios..
Some kind of wierd-azz short in the plate switch circuits, where an actuator motor would be the fix (You can get the motor only from a number of suppliers. You don't have to buy the whole thing from Ford.).

-OR-

mechanical power is getting through the transfer case to the front axle, one (or both) of his Warns has bit the dust (it happens, I just replaced mine last week because one was hanging up and wouldn't engage causing 3-wheel drive) and the front axle is "one-sie tracking" it

The easiest way to check the whole thing would be to put the truck up on jackstands with all 4 wheels off the ground, start it up, flip the 4x4 switch, put it in gear and release the brake. See what gets driven.

bakerc167

Reaction score
Put the new shifter on overdrive works now, but didnt help 4x4 situation. When I turn the the 4x4 on with the truck off I can not hear the t case engaging. Im assuming power is getting to the t case because when I unplugged the wire from t case the lights went out.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Put the new shifter on overdrive works now, but didnt help 4x4 situation. When I turn the the 4x4 on with the truck off I can not hear the t case engaging. Im assuming power is getting to the t case because when I unplugged the wire from t case the lights went out.

which wire?
the two-wire connector to the motor, or the six-wire connector to the plate switches?

here's a wiring diagram.. print it out and grab a test light and a couple of leads

Attachments

• Figure 53 4WD Circuit.PDF
    821.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
both lights illuminated at the same time is normal operation... IIRC (at least my truck has always worked that way)

So, that leaves us with a couple of scenarios..
Some kind of wierd-azz short in the plate switch circuits, where an actuator motor would be the fix (You can get the motor only from a number of suppliers. You don't have to buy the whole thing from Ford.).

-OR-

mechanical power is getting through the transfer case to the front axle, one (or both) of his Warns has bit the dust (it happens, I just replaced mine last week because one was hanging up and wouldn't engage causing 3-wheel drive) and the front axle is "one-sie tracking" it

The easiest way to check the whole thing would be to put the truck up on jackstands with all 4 wheels off the ground, start it up, flip the 4x4 switch, put it in gear and release the brake. See what gets driven.

three wheel drive isn't possible without a locker in the front and a good limited or locker in the rear if both hubs don't lock u have no front traction at all .

the 4x4 4low light in the cluster only illuminate( not to be confused with the selector switch lighting ) after they actually confirm stepper motor position so if he has both on and not selecting any 4x4 at the switch ,, sumptin is up

you can start by grabbing your front driveline and see if you can spin it with the warns unlocked then locked ,, this will rule out the hubs if the transfer case is indeed in 2 high

Zmann

Reaction score
ps you can sit there with the key on engine off and command 4x4 or 4 low and hear the transfer case motor try to engage.. the lights in the cluster might not light up until you roll a little to mesh the gears and let the stepper motor give feedback ,

bakerc167

Reaction score
so i work for the county highway department got called in at 3am to plow kicked on the 4x4 just for the fun an what do you know it works. Idont im thinking maybe the overdrive had something to do with it an it needed to be drove around or something to let the computer know.... i dont know but itss working now. thanks for all your help

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.