lowering my 6.4

thumbo88

Reaction score
wanting to lower my 6.4 and take out the rear block that should lower the rear 2 inches i know i need front springs out of a gas f250 but they have different spring rates what pound springs do i need to make it sit level with the back

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I bought an extra set of 5600 pound springs and cut one coil out and it dropped the front end about 1.5"-2". There is 5300 pounds on the front end of my truck as it sits and I didn't feel comfortable running a spring rated for less then that.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Up front you need to raise the truck and support it with jack stands then disconnect the track bar, brake lines, shocks and then lower the axle and the springs will come out. The back just raise the truck up support it with stands on the frame then undo the u bolts remove the blocks, set the center pin into the spring perch and use new u bolts to hold it back together

StrokiNDieseL

Reaction score
I'm running 5200lb springs w/no blocks, rides smooth but can tell my bump stops are wearing. I didn't go 4800lbs or less b/c I don't slow down for much..

RSK

Reaction score
Yes just swap springs and remove blocks

I thought it was that simple, but not in crew cab short bed, carrier bearing was unhappy, needed to be re shimmed, that or mine is fugged up because mine would vibrate down at low speeds like up to 20mph so i said screw it and just put the block back in.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I thought it was that simple, but not in crew cab short bed, carrier bearing was unhappy, needed to be re shimmed, that or mine is fugged up because mine would vibrate down at low speeds like up to 20mph so i said screw it and just put the block back in.

No problems at all with my CC/SB. That was with 4400lb and 4800lb springs.

RSK

Reaction score
No problems at all with my CC/SB. That was with 4400lb and 4800lb springs.

there were no problems when the 4400lb coil springs went in, but the rear block was pulled on my 2010 fx4 offroad packed superduty it started vibrating, and i tow trailer all the time that will lower the rear of the truck that 3-4" and there is no vibration at all, but the block was pulled it had a vibration on take off. A few people have said maybe the block is masking something, i'm not a driveline expert but I know what my truck did.

footlong70

Reaction score
Up front you need to raise the truck and support it with jack stands then disconnect the track bar, brake lines, shocks and then lower the axle and the springs will come out. The back just raise the truck up support it with stands on the frame then undo the u bolts remove the blocks, set the center pin into the spring perch and use new u bolts to hold it back together

You can leave the track bar bolted up and leave the brake lines. Just remove the calipers which is pretty simple rather than making a mess and having to bleed the brakes. Just the top or bottom mount for the shocks, calipers, and a bolt from each sway bar end link just to make it that much easier of a drop.

You shouldn't shim the carrier bearing on a lowered truck. That's only meant for lifts, as the carrier cant go up any higher (not that you would want it to). If you did the only thing you could do is take all the angle out of the middle u-joint so the first and last u-joints were in a cancellation sequence instead of the middle and last like stock. If I had to guess, the new pinion angle is not equal to the middle u-joint angle which would cause the vibration. Shimming the axle would be the proper way to do it. A cheap angle finder is all a guy needs to get an idea.
In my opinion though, I'd be going to a one piece drive shaft for a lowered super duty for sure. Eliminate the junk carrier altogether and shim the axle for proper angles.

footlong70

Reaction score
there were no problems when the 4400lb coil springs went in, but the rear block was pulled on my 2010 fx4 offroad packed superduty it started vibrating, and i tow trailer all the time that will lower the rear of the truck that 3-4" and there is no vibration at all, but the block was pulled it had a vibration on take off. A few people have said maybe the block is masking something, i'm not a driveline expert but I know what my truck did.

Missed your last post, If its just vibration under acceleration or take off, then it's more than likely the deflection of the drive shaft in the carrier. The bearing is held in place by a thick rubber bushing which lets the drive shaft to move side to side giving that shudder feeling. Unless the angle is damn near perfect the shaft will always deflect under load. You can move drive shaft a good 1/4-1/2" just by hand within the carrier which goes to show it doesn't take much. One piece for the win...

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score

My block was removed as well...but it was an F-250 block, not an F-350 block.

thumbo88

Reaction score
I got it lowered went with 4800# springs no rear block now I need new shocks I guess because the softer springs ride like a road wagon can I use the factory size shocks or order custom shocks and I've noticed when I go to the strip a lot of guys with the spring swap also ratchet strap theirs front ends down why is that

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm lifted and ratch down the from of my truck, they way the suspension geometry is on the front end will cause the front to hop during a sled pull or a drag launch. The strap just loads the suspension to stop the hop

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.