LP fuel system reliability

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the real honest truth here? I know a lot of guys upgrade there's, I don't think its a bad idea. I've done about all the mods I can to maxx out on stock fuel. My low system has 147k miles on it, HP pump is brand new. I change fuel filters every oil change at 5,000 miles. Rotella 5/40 syn. Am I really risking my super expensive motor leaving the stock low pressure side alone, or will close Maint keep me running safe for a long time? I see many 6.4s with 2-300,000+ miles all stock still going.. I know I run more fuel through my system at close to 700 horse but does that matter? I've spent a lot of money building this motor right, fuel additives, new HP pump before it failed.. I don't mind spending money on reliability, but don't want to touch the fuel system unless my stock one is really that risky. Thanks fellas for all your opinions!

CT9AIX

Reaction score
if you don't mind spending the extra money, yes upgrade the lpfp. if for no other reason, you'll get the ability to run better filters and separate water much better

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I had zero issues with my lpfp until just recently when I tore the truck down. My water drain valve started leaking and then I also noticed it started leaking from somewhere on the side. Almost like it seperated or something (probably leaking from up top). Like you I changed filters and oil every 5K and my truck just went over 100k. I just finished putting a fuel lab 200gph velocity on mine running a 2-micron fuel/water seperator with a regulated return.

TD-5

Reaction score
High quality Filtration & no water are essential for a fuel pump/injectors well being & long life. Any water thru the HPFP is a recipe for failure. The primary filter in the HFCM is marginally ok & the factory pump probably flows enough fuel under most daily driver conditions, but the water seperation is less than satifactory. Plus it is in the most assine location.
Upgrading the filtration will never be waste of money, especially on these high pressure common rail systems.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
I'm getting a fass now. They say it adds 20hp to a stock truck and the shop has installed thousands with no complaints

the only way your really gonna see a power increase is if your stock pump wasnt supplying enough to the HPFP. if you have a healthy stock pump, not starving the HPFP, more than likely not going to notice much of a diffrence. On a stock truck ive never noticed a power increase at all. Hard to say your gonna gain (whatever) amount of power. just my .02

B585Ford

Reaction score
High quality Filtration & no water are essential for a fuel pump/injectors well being & long life. Any water thru the HPFP is a recipe for failure. The primary filter in the HFCM is marginally ok & the factory pump probably flows enough fuel under most daily driver conditions, but the water seperation is less than satifactory. Plus it is in the most assine location.
Upgrading the filtration will never be waste of money, especially on these high pressure common rail systems.

:whs: I couldn't have said it any better....oh and my stock fuel system only made it 60k w/ filter changes every 5-7k and drain 1 time per month or 2k miles whichever came first.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Well Hmm, I'm tired of spending on this truck.. I want this boat I found now lol.

TXlineman83

Reaction score
I crossed a river in my truck. No more then 2ft deep while doing some hunting. Ended up with water in my LPFP. Had to drain it on the other side. Truck only had 80k miles on it. Might consider that too. Launching a boat could present similar issues down the road. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Members online