Mag-Hytec trans pan and diff cover

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I am going to do tranny, diffs and transfercase fluid change. I am looking at getting a Mag-Hytec trans pan and front diff cover and wondered what everyone's input on them is. I use the truck mainly for hauling and have never noticed my tranny temp get hot, but the extra fluid would be nice just in case. As far as the diff, it is probably not necessary as I don't have the 4wd engaged for long, but if I do the tranny pan I will more than likely do the diff cover as well. So is it worth it or not, and where is the best/cheapest place to get them??

Reaction score
I like my diff covers there is a little difference in temp and i got my trans pan on order. XDP has good prices on them but im sure some dealers on here will get u some prices i ordered mine through HDP

From your mothers room Trebek

pog

Reaction score
i got a deep pan when i put in my new trans. my temps are consistent between 165-172 hwy or city. stock was always between 140-165, these are all non-towing #'s. now since i got a new trans with the deep pan i cant say what caused less fluctuated #'s. id do the rear diff cover for sure 1 for looks 2 easy to drain fluid

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
i got a deep pan when i put in my new trans. my temps are consistent between 165-172 hwy or city. stock was always between 140-165, these are all non-towing #'s. now since i got a new trans with the deep pan i cant say what caused less fluctuated #'s. id do the rear diff cover for sure 1 for looks 2 easy to drain fluid

Is the rear cover that much different other than the plug? My rear cover is ribbed aluminum as it is. I always pull the cover off to flush out the particles that stick to the internals, so the plug doesn't really matter to me but it does look good.

pog

Reaction score
I believe it holds 1qt more than stock. Now will you see cooler rear diff temp due to that 1 extra qt? I have no clue, 1qt is so little that it might not make that much of a diff after couple hours of driving. Also don't the mag/afe covers use an o ring seal? That beats rtv-ing the stock cover everytime and also way easier to remove the cover.

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I believe it holds 1qt more than stock. Now will you see cooler rear diff temp due to that 1 extra qt? I have no clue, 1qt is so little that it might not make that much of a diff after couple hours of driving. Also don't the mag/afe covers use an o ring seal? That beats rtv-ing the stock cover everytime and also way easier to remove the cover.

I didn't know it had more capacity. I think the covers do use the embedded o-ring which would be nice.

tensixniner

Reaction score
Mag hytec rear diff cover holds 6 qts. Stock is 3.5 qts.
This is alot of fluid, it's well above the factory fill line.

Front diff cover will rub the track bar unless your lifted.

Both have o ring seals. You can still use rtv if you want or need to.

I like my rear cover ... Not so much the front because it rubs, I had to grind down the ribs for clearance.

The fill plug is also a dipstick with a magnet in the tip which is great.
Problem is the dipstick is knurled so when you wipe it off with a rag you get lint covering the dipstick.
The fill plug when installed and screwed down sits in a machined recess which fills with dirt over time. If your not careful cleaning out the groove the dirt goes inside the diff when you unscrew it.

mortal798

Reaction score
I don't know... isn't all that fluid going to take a really long time to cool down if it does get hot?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I don't know... isn't all that fluid going to take a really long time to cool down if it does get hot?

People seem to say the same thing about the tranny pans and I just don't get it... Wouldn't it take ALOT longer for the fluid to get hot enough to cause damage and additionally cool faster(relative term because I do know there is more fluid) due to the larger/better fins on the pan?

I mean how many people have actually pulled over to wait for diff fluid to cool? I think the extra capacity well out weighs the possibility that it would take to long to cool down.. Maybe i'm wrong, I don't remember much of my Thermo classes

Another wrench in the mix... I've been told I caused transmission damage because I didn't let my large capacity pan get up to temp.. This was normal 40-50% throttle driving at 100* ambient outside so I don't buy much of that either tho...

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Kind of what I was thinking.

i am not buying this on any of these pans.... Surely the added capacity + faster cooling capabilities (this is an assumption) of the big pan out weigh the "if it gets to hot thing" I can only see this being applicable if you get into a situation where you physically have to pull over to let it cool and having to wait an extra few minutes, but at that point imagine how hot the smaller capacity fluid would be. Simple fact is it takes X amount of energy to get X amount of fluid to X degress and it takes more energy to get 2X amount of fluid to X degrees. Even if the cool at the exact same rate (which i think the mag pans should be better) it would take alot longer for the fluid to get to dangerous temps.. and longer meaning you can get the truck to a situation where it will cool itself.

Am i completely off my rocker here? I can't imagine added capacity EVER being a problem on the HOT side of things... maybe causing issues getting up to operating temp, but not on the hot side

Last edited:

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
i am not buying this on any of these pans.... Surely the added capacity + faster cooling capabilities (this is an assumption) of the big pan out weigh the "if it gets to hot thing" I can only see this being applicable if you get into a situation where you physically have to pull over to let it cool and having to wait an extra few minutes, but at that point imagine how hot the smaller capacity fluid would be. Simple fact is it takes X amount of energy to get X amount of fluid to X degress and it takes more energy to get 2X amount of fluid to X degrees. Even if the cool at the exact same rate (which i think the mag pans should be better) it would take alot longer for the fluid to get to dangerous temps.. and longer meaning you can get the truck to a situation where it will cool itself.

Am i completely off my rocker here? I can't imagine added capacity EVER being a problem on the HOT side of things... maybe causing issues getting up to operating temp, but not on the hot side

I can see where you are coming from, but I wonder at what point would it be better to go with a larger/more efficient transmission cooler than the increased capacity pan.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Run a second cooler with a remote fan.. all your worries are gone.. slightly more capacity, remote cooler/fan for whenever your coming up to a big hill or whenever its getting to hot..

az350

Reaction score
I got a mag diff cover for sale, brand new just been sitting in my garage..offers.... I'm in AZ

From The Southwest ! TaPaTaLk.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Another bandwagon mod. Only real benefit is asthetics IMHO. I'd spend myespecially servicing more frequently, especially with the trans. New trans filter and 8 fresh qts every 15-20k for mine and my bone stock trans is still holding fine at 113,000 mile and I run a minimum of 300hp (Spartan) as my dd. Fwiw.

BFT

Reaction score
Another bandwagon mod. Only real benefit is asthetics IMHO. I'd spend myespecially servicing more frequently, especially with the trans. New trans filter and 8 fresh qts every 15-20k for mine and my bone stock trans is still holding fine at 113,000 mile and I run a minimum of 300hp (Spartan) as my dd. Fwiw.

:whs:

I've had to pull over to let things cool down when towing real heavy on long grades here in sothern Cali.
You get to a point where you can't stop, even when the fans are howling. I had to stop for 15 min to get trans, oil and coolant back to normal (this was with a factory trans pan)... Ahhh the joys of California speed laws :frustrate:
Apart from that, they look nice and it's good eye candy, gives it a flat surface if you had to drop your trannyLOL. I would probably do the rear diff because it looks good.

Latest posts

Members online