Major electrical problems

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Today i was trying to re-wire the rear end of the truck for a new 7 pin plug. i connected two wires together that I thought had been together and then all this happened:

the windsheild wipers are going (the switch is turned off)
All the lights on the dash are on
If I turn the headlight switch everything shuts off/ the ticking slows down
the truck wont start
There is a loud ticking noise that the lights in the dash flicker with
No fuses were blown (I dont know how to check relays)
Radio quit completely, no clock
Door dinger wont turn off unless the door is shut (no key on ignition)

So I checked all fuses none were burnt, I took the negatives off the batteries for a few minutes, still same. I dont really know what else to do.

I really hope I didnt fry the PCM, Im thinking more of the GEM but why now? I thought every wire on the trailer plug was on a fuse.

Need some help bad, its my only vehicle right now

Last edited:

Biggreen96

Reaction score
I would pull you light switch and make sure it didn't melt some wires you may have back fed power through the switch. Possibly explain chime , could be lights on chime when not running.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Hey the dinger stopped!

So, I think that with that out of the way, that maybe my ignition switch is messed up.

See when i was re-wiring the trailer I left the key on. Not runnning, but in the position just before starting. After a prolonged period of being on maybe it wore out?

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Now the dinger is back on. Still all the same symptoms. When I turn the key to the start position everything shuts off, the dash lights, the ticking, and the dinger.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Im not trying to be an ass. When i was younger i fried my GEM and couple wires in the front harness. $1700 later i learned always to disconnect the batteries on electrical work. Traced wires and troublebshot for a couple hours and couldnt find anything. Finally took it in and thats what i got. Just keep pluggin away, you're bound to gain some ground

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Im not trying to be an ass. When i was younger i fried my GEM and couple wires in the front harness. $1700 later i learned always to disconnect the batteries on electrical work. Traced wires and troublebshot for a couple hours and couldnt find anything. Finally took it in and thats what i got. Just keep pluggin away, you're bound to gain some ground

I usually do disconnect the batteries but I was trying to find the running lights wire from the trailer wire harness, and thats when everything went to hell.

Hopefully I can find it soon, were your GEM symptoms like mine?

Thanks!

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
what 2 wires did you put together? also pull the fuse panel and get the part# off of the gem module which is mounted on the back of the fuse panel, the part# will have 14b205 in the middle. i'll pull up the evtm and help ya out.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
what 2 wires did you put together? also pull the fuse panel and get the part# off of the gem module which is mounted on the back of the fuse panel, the part# will have 14b205 in the middle. i'll pull up the evtm and help ya out.

Well hard to expain which ones but Ill give it a shot. I had the trailer hooked up, the trailer plug plugged into the 7pin on the truck. I was under the truck at the harness, splicing the wires. I had the white ground hooked up, the yellow and green (turn signals) hooked, and was working on the 12v (orange/red/black) and I was trying to see what wire would make my running lights work. I believe I hooked up a black wire with a green stripe (on truck) to the brown (tail/running on trailer). Thats when I noticed something happened and the truck went haywire and i havent been able to figure it out.

the ignition was turned to run (truck off), and headlights on.

Ok I will find the number for you! Thank you!

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
are you sure those were the only wires you crossed? (black/green) thats just back up lamps, sounds more like you shorted running or brake lamps and burned up grey fuse links under the hood feeding the fuse panel they are located at the starter relay on pass. side inner fender hot at all times

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
I will have to check in the morning! I didnt even know that was there. Thank you

Hopefully Ill have a break through

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
just run a jumper wire from battery positive to main wire on fuse panel under the hood and see if it helps

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
any feedback on if it is fixed? if so what was the causal part? info might be helpful for others incase they run into the same problem

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Well, after tracing wires up and down the harness, two wires had fused together at connector, a relay that I thought was good was bad (could have been a seperate problem). Also, one of the trailer harness wires was crossed (from the original owner) it was feeding a negative wire power from the brake lights. Lastly, one of the newer (one year old) batteries wasnt taking a charge.

Looks like the door dinger problem was a seperate deal also, the wire that connects to the ignition key tumbler was broke.

So in all several problems added up, but I guess it came down to crossed and fried wires.
Stressed me out quite a bit.

Latest posts

Members online