manifold bolt removal

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Went to pull manifolds to put headers on, same bolt on both side didn't want to come out and still can't get one of them out. Had issues with getting the same bolts to go in on ghohouston's truck when I put his manifolds back on. What's the trick to removing the bolts on these? I just broke a snap on impact socket in 2 using a ratchet, so I don't see how anything is going to hold up to removing this one bolt.

MossBack

Reaction score
Torch the head and replace the bolt.

I fought doing my manifold gaskets luckily I didn't have to cut any. But it is far less time consuming for a $.50 bolt to just cut it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Which bolts are stuck?
I've had luck getting between the manifold and head with a worn down cutoff wheel. Smaller the better.
Can also drill them on center and then ream the hole with a die grinder. Doesn't sound like you've got any intentions of re-using the manifolds so it doesn't really matter if the hole is over-sized when you are done.

Edit: Here is a video to help explain what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwScytqsc0

6643Jasper

Reaction score
Try heating the bolts with a torch before cutting. I have success heating until cherry red and then letting cool until it is black again then removing. It has worked everytime for me.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
you can try heat, itll prolly work. BUT my only fear with heating, is if it doesnt come and breaks off, its a SOB to drill out. ive never had much luck drilling after heating them. kinda have to pick your own enemy.

David N

Reaction score
The middle one I think? Is one that is tighter than all the others. For what reason I have no clue.

But I just went through all this a couple days ago with 5 of them. Just cut the heads off and then turn them out with a pair of vice grips. If need be, you could heat it, but I doubt it will be necessary.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
The middle one I think? Is one that is tighter than all the others. For what reason I have no clue.

But I just went through all this a couple days ago with 5 of them. Just cut the heads off and then turn them out with a pair of vice grips. If need be, you could heat it, but I doubt it will be necessary.

Yes sir thats the one.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
Ended up drilling thru the side of the bolt and stepped up drill bits until it cut it in half. Tried to use a hammer and punch to get the piece out of the manifold and it wouldnt budge. The piece in the head came out by hand.

Marty

Reaction score
Ended up drilling thru the side of the bolt and stepped up drill bits until it cut it in half. Tried to use a hammer and punch to get the piece out of the manifold and it wouldnt budge. The piece in the head came out by hand.

That's what normally happens. Glad you got it.

Latest posts

Members online