Mechanical Fuel Pump

Mdub707

Reaction score
With the right pump you should have no problem holding pressure. Sump the tank, use a fuelab pump, your own filters, feed direct to the heads and a good regulated return and there should be no issues.

Rob D

Reaction score
Thanks Mike - on my first 06 F350 I had an airdogII with a RR and upgraded lines off the fuel bowl and my PSI would drop at WOT still.

I had the top of the fuel filter cap tapped for my sensor - is this typical to lose pressure on your gauge if you tap in that location maybe? I can see how WOT pull the pressure may still be OK but fuel may not be hitting the top of the housing.

04stroker

Reaction score
Thanks Mike - on my first 06 F350 I had an airdogII with a RR and upgraded lines off the fuel bowl and my PSI would drop at WOT still.

I had the top of the fuel filter cap tapped for my sensor - is this typical to lose pressure on your gauge if you tap in that location maybe? I can see how WOT pull the pressure may still be OK but fuel may not be hitting the top of the housing.

That is normal with that setup and gauge point. (ask me how I know) LOL Like other said a regulated return and fuel pressure gauge at the regulator on the return side is where you want to watch fuel pressure. Like I told you before I have seen a stock pump hold up to 190cc injectors before with a RR. Not often pump has to be in very good shape. But a RR with a sump and lift pump up to your stocker is a very good way to go IMO.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the AD2's anyway. For a budget build I would try putting a sump on, a stock 6.4 HFCM as your lift pump feeding the stock 6.0 HFCM.

Rob D

Reaction score
Guys -

I appreciate all the responses - and it is nice to know I probably just had my sensor tapped in the wrong spot. However I want to get back onto the idea of a mechanical pump design. I am going to take another stab at this, and apologize if my understanding of the system is off.

Pressure dictated by regulator - yes? So system could be designed to idle at 45 PSI based on pulley size and when in the upper RPM range then yes the fuel pump would prob be making close to 100 PSI - but the regulator would control how much pressure is fed vs returned.

The only down side I see to the system would be getting in trouble if losing prime...but to me that could outweigh the unreliability of several aftermarket pumps. If install a sump and make sure the tank stays above 1/4 full (as I would do anyways) I think this could be something cool to try out.

Now engineering it and building it is completely out of my league hahaha. I know its pointless to reinvent the wheel if there are already systems tried and true. I just always am a fan of seeing new and different ideas. Plus I like getting rid of electrical stuff for mechanical but thats just my personal opinion.

I doubt anyone who would be capable of this engineering would actually do R&D when so many other solutions are available...I just think if these could work and made their way into the market a lot of guys would prefer a mechanical pump to an electric one like me.

Anyway just some fun food for thought if nothing else. Thanks guys

Mdub707

Reaction score
Why go through the effort of making it mechanical. You can ramp up fuel pressure with an electric pump. Use a boost referenced pump of some sort. I know UNBROKEN ran one back before he went fummins. Said it made like 100psi on WOT.

To me, going to full mechanical injection would be for a dedicated sled puller or drag truck only. Just to get a larger AMOUNT of fuel. But you're talking something like an 8 cylinder p-pump and custom injection lines and injectors/heads etc. The whole thing. It would not be cheap or easy.

Rob D

Reaction score
Rich's truck was sweet. I remember following that build years ago.

Anyway - I hear you, the only reason would be to go mechanical instead of electric.

Did you look at how simple the design was on the website I posted for the cummins?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I just did now. I am confusing lift pump and injection pump here too. As simple as their kit looks, I still stick with it being even more simple to just wire up a fuelab...which we know works.

Latest posts

Members online