Mounting a ratchet shifter questions

tylerdillard

Reaction score
I been wanting to put a TCI Outlaw shifter in my truck for a while now but i wasnt sure how much trouble it would be.. my biggest concern would be what had to be swapped where the truck has to be in park to start and if the ignition would give any trouble by swapping..

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If this is in a 6.4 I bet a lot.
Other than a normal ratchet shifter they are simple. They have a couple slots for pin switches for park and the reverse lights. I have one in my 96 Impala.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Couldn't you just get a steering column from a manual truck and wire the safety switch into the ratchet shifter?

Charles

Reaction score
What is the intended purpose of a ratchet shifter on an electronic trans?

Are the newer transmissions different, or are the manual selections by cycling the valvebody just as suggestive as on previous models like the 4R? If so, this is completely pointless.

It's not a TH400 or a C6. You can't go buy a different valvebody and bang out gears with a ratchet shifter.

Or can you?

Charles

Reaction score
Do they make some sort of push button device you can wire up on these transmissions?

Yes. There are a few for the 4R100 and of those the PCS will work the 5R as well. I don't know about the latest ford Transmissions though.

As for buying a ratchet shifter.... I think you'd just have a really, cheezy ass way to do exactly what the factory column shifter did.... not much of anything exciting.

The very newest trans (behind the 6.7) comes factory with pushbutton up and downshifts. That functionality could probably be easily moved from the column shifter down to a bump shift lever at normal shifter height without messing with an auxiliary control device on those trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.