mpd budget s366 review

gcowart140

Reaction score
Iv had the kit on for about 6000 miles now. I was worried about drivability with the s366 but it was way better than expected. I actually like it better than the stock as far as drivability around town and towing. I regularly pull a 33 foot bumper pull camper (about 8000lbs) and it does great.

The install was pretty straight forward. I could have really used some instructions but it wasn't bad. I had to trim the intake manifold. I wasn't very happy about that seems like it would weaken the intake a lot. The intercooler piping didn't fit real great. I had to trim a little off one of the boots and it rubs on the fuel lines.

Overall Im pretty happy with the kit for the money. I would have loved to have a hs kit but wasn't ready to commit that kind of money without knowing if I would like it.

Here a short video to give and idea of how it spools. https://vimeo.com/155336093

Running
hs tuner
hs box tunes for their turbo kit
no limit intake
5 in exhaust
full ******s
stock fuel

jcain

Reaction score
Iv had the kit on for about 6000 miles now. I was worried about drivability with the s366 but it was way better than expected. I actually like it better than the stock as far as drivability around town and towing. I regularly pull a 33 foot bumper pull camper (about 8000lbs) and it does great.

The install was pretty straight forward. I could have really used some instructions but it wasn't bad. I had to trim the intake manifold. I wasn't very happy about that seems like it would weaken the intake a lot. The intercooler piping didn't fit real great. I had to trim a little off one of the boots and it rubs on the fuel lines.

Overall Im pretty happy with the kit for the money. I would have loved to have a hs kit but wasn't ready to commit that kind of money without knowing if I would like it.

Here a short video to give and idea of how it spools. https://vimeo.com/155336093

Running
hs tuner
hs box tunes for their turbo kit
no limit intake
5 in exhaust
full ******s
stock fuel

Why aren't you running mpd tuning?

jcain

Reaction score
Didn't want to pay for custom tuning when I'm going to run dual fuelers soon. If it didn't run good I would have but it will more than do for a few more weeks.

sx
So you downloaded a tune that was a courtesy package for paying h&s turbo customers? You don't see the moral issue in that?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
So you downloaded a tune that was a courtesy package for paying h&s turbo customers? You don't see the moral issue in that?

66936692.jpg

gcowart140

Reaction score

If it wasn't openly placed on their website to use with their tuners I could see an issue with it. I understand hs being mad with a company telling someone to use their tunes but no one told me to use them and I'm an hs customer. If hs doesn't want people to use them they need to pull them off their site and only email them to people that buy their kit.

jcain

Reaction score
So from that standpoint, if you drove by my house and my garage was open, you think it'd be alright to take my tablesaw because it'd work for whatever you were building? All because you knew where to find it and I left my garage open? In the end, h&s invested money in their specific tuning for their turbo kit and you took it upon yourself to use their intellectual property for your own monetary gain, since you didn't want to pay for a custom tune.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

bdm1981

Reaction score
Last I checked H&S doesn't have the calibration files on their website for that reason. I did the same thing and understand the reasoning behind them doing that. That's why I went ahead and got MCC custom tunes from GH. Not everyone can afford an H&S kit jcain. Some of us have to try to get by with what we can. That being said I feel that if you buy any H&S product you should be entitled to some support within reason. I know from my discussions with Dallas that he was getting a lot of phone calls of people running his calibration files and wanting them to tweak things for them that are not running the H&S setup. I would be aggravated too. I get why they did that from a business standpoint. I have nothing but good things to say about H&S and not trying to cause waves.

Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is that you are willing to spend over $3000 on a turbo kit, but are going to complain about paying someone who actually put the hard work MAYBE $500 to tune your truck properly? Give me a break. Jon is 100% right. You already got what you paid for when you bought your H&S mini maxx and that was a set of canned tunes designed for your year/make/model truck that were included. That is what you paid for. You did not pay for all the hard work and countless hours that the H&S guys put into developing the tunes for their turbo kits. If you are planning on purchasing a turbo kit, the FIRST thing you should be able to afford is the tunes themselves. If you cant afford the tunes, you shouldnt be buying an aftermarket turbo kit. But I guess buying a replacement engine due to running improper tuning for a turbo set up is much cheaper than buying the correct tuning for your set up.
:morons:

Last edited:

bdm1981

Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is that you are willing to spend over $3000 on a turbo kit, but are going to complain about paying someone who actually put the hard work MAYBE $500 to tune your truck properly? Give me a break. Jon is 100% right. You already got what you paid for when you bought your H&S mini maxx and that was a set of canned tunes designed for your year/make/model truck that were included. That is what you paid for. You did not pay for all the hard work and countless hours that the H&S guys put into developing the tunes for their turbo kits. If you are planning on purchasing a turbo kit, the FIRST thing you should be able to afford is the tunes themselves. If you cant afford the tunes, you shouldnt be buying an aftermarket turbo kit. But I guess buying a replacement engine due to running improper tuning for a turbo set up is much cheaper than buying the correct tuning for your set up.
:morons:
I'm not defending myself for doing the same thing. That's why I have custom tunes for my setup. Like I said I understand from a business aspect that they have a legit reason for doing that. Just aggravates me when a guy gets on here and makes negative remarks to someone who isn't running an H&S turbo setup. I do agree with jcain but sometimes he can come off as an a** to people on these forums. Just sayin...

swinky

Reaction score
You 6.7 guys are some ***kin pansies. He didn't steal the tunes or aquire them illegally so stfu.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
^ i agree the tunes are freely availible for anyone to download. I see nothing wrong with using them. and kudos to H&S for making them available.

Last edited:

jcain

Reaction score
Last I checked H&S doesn't have the calibration files on their website for that reason. I did the same thing and understand the reasoning behind them doing that. That's why I went ahead and got MCC custom tunes from GH. Not everyone can afford an H&S kit jcain. Some of us have to try to get by with what we can. That being said I feel that if you buy any H&S product you should be entitled to some support within reason. I know from my discussions with Dallas that he was getting a lot of phone calls of people running his calibration files and wanting them to tweak things for them that are not running the H&S setup. I would be aggravated too. I get why they did that from a business standpoint. I have nothing but good things to say about H&S and not trying to cause waves.

You're asking for support on an h&s minimaxx or Xrt but you're failing to realize that that company, H&S Performance, is out of business. They and H&S motorsports are NOT the same. So in fact H&S motorsports owes you ZERO support for your tuner because they didn't make nor sale it.

bdm1981

Reaction score
You're asking for support on an h&s minimaxx or Xrt but you're failing to realize that that company, H&S Performance, is out of business. They and H&S motorsports are NOT the same. So in fact H&S motorsports owes you ZERO support for your tuner because they didn't make nor sale it.
I'm going to refrain from saying anything more than I already have jcain. Your right, I'm wrong...hope that makes you feel better about it...

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I used the H&S 6.4 single file as a base to build the tune for my compounds so does that make me a bad person? If I'm not mistaken when I downloaded the file it even said to use it as a good starting point when going non vgt.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Or call upon your moral compass.

Where do you stand on pulling the copyright protected software off of a vehicle's computer, modifying it, and selling it as your own?

Just curious

Personally, I don't really take issue with it.

Latest posts

Members online