Need advice on my 5r110 dilemma

charlie-2

Reaction score
Ok so I ended up buying all the clutches and a triple disc tq converter and a billet I'm put and planned to build my tranny myself. Not know what I'd get into.

Well the pump was bad so I bought a used pump put everything together and it didn't work so I took it to a reputable tranny shop where I live. He tore it down and the pump I put in it was bad along with the direct drive clutches and the direct clutch carrier or whatever it is called was warped. So he put new directs pump and re did the solenoids on the valve body.

It shifted as it should, was running a base h and s 300 hd tune and it was slipping the 3rd to 4th shift so ok I though putting an upgraded valve body in would help. I drove for 5k on the 300hd. Put a valve body from a company called level ten in. Apparently a performance one with some solinid work done to it. Really didn't change the shifts so I stepped up and got gear head mcc tunes. Shifts are better but was still slipping in 4th and didn't know where it wanted to shift and at wot when it got to the 3 to 4 shift it went crazy until it hit 4th lock. And now recently it threw it's self back into limp mode and dosent shift out of 4th it goes through 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th fine in limp mode.

All the clutches were koline steels. And red alto eagles. Now I'm at the point do I take it somewhere and replace the direct drives and put a factory ford valve body in as 3 performance shops told me to do when I called them about this issue or do I buy a built tranny and use my tq converter on a new one because the tq is still good. I'm trying to limit my self what to spend but it is what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have a 4r I could put in it I'm just tossing around ideas about my situation. Thanks guys

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
5rs dont really need a valve body, most of the "performance" comes from the actual tuning. I know some shops are using part of a shift kit to get things done but for what reasons i cant honestly tell you.

I think you should probably pull this one apart again and find out what failed.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Would love to help ya but this is way beyond my knowledge base on auto trannies. Here is a free bump.

charlie-2

Reaction score
So I should probably buy a ford solenoid body and take this other one out and see what clutches went inside it.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Honestly why not just buy a built trans that's proven? To me it makes sense to spend some money and get less issues.

Sent from my iPhone
-Jerry Bruley-

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
We always use a new ford solenoid body, and a new center support. The outdated center support part numbers that came stock are starting to fail and can cause issues with line pressure holding.

Jared

swinky

Reaction score
Honestly I bet you've worn out the direct clutch pretty well by now if it's been funky in the 3-5 shift. I'd cut your losses and get one built professionally using your input and converter to save you some dough. How's the fluid look?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Honestly I bet you've worn out the direct clutch pretty well by now if it's been funky in the 3-5 shift. I'd cut your losses and get one built professionally using your input and converter to save you some dough. How's the fluid look?

werds of experience my man LOL

charlie-2

Reaction score
Fluid is.not good. Has a good bit of material in it. Do you think that could a screwed up the tq converter? And I'm probably gonna go the route of a built one. That is already done. As long as I can use my tq. It held lock great by the way

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
The converter has had trash ran through it. You could clean it but the ideal scenario would be to send it back and have it cut apart and cleaned, imagine if you run trash through your fresh trans and stick the regulator valve in the pump. Then you will be in the same place you are right now.

You also should replace your cooler this time.

As for the valve body it is probably fine. Worst case it needs a solenoid and you need some work to the direct clutch pack and possibly the drum.

Like everyone has said, a quality built trans would be an easier option at this point. You could send us your trans and have us just fix the damaged items but since it's not a complete overhaul it wouldn't come with a warranty. I would expect other shops to do the same.

Reaction score
The converter has had trash ran through it. You could clean it but the ideal scenario would be to send it back and have it cut apart and cleaned, imagine if you run trash through your fresh trans and stick the regulator valve in the pump. Then you will be in the same place you are right now.

You also should replace your cooler this time.

As for the valve body it is probably fine. Worst case it needs a solenoid and you need some work to the direct clutch pack and possibly the drum.

Like everyone has said, a quality built trans would be an easier option at this point. You could send us your trans and have us just fix the damaged items but since it's not a complete overhaul it wouldn't come with a warranty. I would expect other shops to do the same.

Whs^^^^

charlie-2

Reaction score
Probaly going to go the already built option. Anyone have experience with twisted diesel?

swinky

Reaction score
Probaly going to go the already built option. Anyone have experience with twisted diesel?

twisted is the schit. I'm picking up my stage 3 from them on Friday. 3yr100k mile warranty, precision converter, billet input and low reverse hub,all shafts and some hard parts are cryoed. Aside from the killer warranty the customer service is top notch. Daryl has answered the phone and answered every question every single time I call.

oh and free install with my stg3.

Csilva187

Reaction score
I'm waiting on an Elite trans and am 100% jacked! Same thing ordered cooler, and will have a flex-plate and hardware on stand by.

Latest posts

Members online