need help asap guys, fuel in oil problem

dommel01

Reaction score
OK guys I got my build together an fired it off lastnight everything seemed great, well it burnt threw 1/4 tank idling I'm thinking that's weird, maybe the gauge wasn't reading right, so I check the dtcs an the only one I was concerned about what the cylinder 5 distribution or whatever code, go to fire it up an no fire, put more fuel in it cranked am cranked an it was puffin white smoke then finally started ran like ****, shut it off an got ready to tear the injector out becase I put a used injector in that cylinder, of course the more difficult side to tear down, so I take the oil drain off for my remote mounted turbo an fuel was running out of it, I drained maybe 8-10 gal of fuel/ oil mix, so I'm thinking maybe the injector lines are leaking but they are all tight I checked them, way past the 10ftlbs recommended, what are you guys thoughts,iI have a new injector gonna be here today what are you guys thoughts on the oil/fuel mix! Now I may have had the truck idling for 20mins an it ran super smooth, not any indication of issues, ran around 5k frp idling an would jump too 11k easily with just the tap of the throttle

dommel01

Reaction score
yea, i mean id have to think it is an internal fuel leak, it would take alittle while of cranking to fire it up each time, but idk where the leak would be

dommel01

Reaction score
people on the powerstroke facebook page are telling me that its an injector o-ring, could that be a possiblitly?

dommel01

Reaction score
i put a 17 wrench on the line an without really really cranking on it they are tight, im thinking possibly the pump because its a pump that wasnt in my truck, what could be leaking on that? i was thinking maybe the pump was leaking but i wouldnt know how, i was gonna start it an run it but ill have to leave my secondary turbo off because id have to assemble the entire turbo setup check it an then take it off to put the valve cover back on

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Grab all new lines. Swap in a new #5. And as shane said 106 in lbs. Then turn them a flat of the nut. Flush that oil as well.

Reaction score
OK guys I got my build together an fired it off lastnight everything seemed great, well it burnt threw 1/4 tank idling I'm thinking that's weird, maybe the gauge wasn't reading right, so I check the dtcs an the only one I was concerned about what the cylinder 5 distribution or whatever code, go to fire it up an no fire, put more fuel in it cranked am cranked an it was puffin white smoke then finally started ran like ****, shut it off an got ready to tear the injector out becase I put a used injector in that cylinder, of course the more difficult side to tear down, so I take the oil drain off for my remote mounted turbo an fuel was running out of it, I drained maybe 8-10 gal of fuel/ oil mix, so I'm thinking maybe the injector lines are leaking but they are all tight I checked them, way past the 10ftlbs recommended, what are you guys thoughts,iI have a new injector gonna be here today what are you guys thoughts on the oil/fuel mix! Now I may have had the truck idling for 20mins an it ran super smooth, not any indication of issues, ran around 5k frp idling an would jump too 11k easily with just the tap of the throttle

I ran into a similar problem with a 6.4 that someone else overhauled. High Pressure system tested out fine with the IDS. They took the DPF off (without tuning) and drove it for about 20 miles and had the same thing happen. My thought was it tried to regen and filled the crankcase with fuel that way. It has a pretty bad vibration to it. It's been run with the valve covers off and no lines are leaking. Power balance is smooth. Going to try it with correct tuning and see if it does it again.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I ran into a similar problem with a 6.4 that someone else overhauled. High Pressure system tested out fine with the IDS. They took the DPF off (without tuning) and drove it for about 20 miles and had the same thing happen. My thought was it tried to regen and filled the crankcase with fuel that way. It has a pretty bad vibration to it. It's been run with the valve covers off and no lines are leaking. Power balance is smooth. Going to try it with correct tuning and see if it does it again.

LOL, well your first problem is taking the emissions stuff off with out tuning. If tuning wasn't required for that very purpose there would be no tuning for just that very purpose. When you do what you did the truck will go into constant regeneration mode, meaning it will be trying to clean a filter that isn't there and will never quit until one of the three happen, you put everything back, download the tuning to be able to run emissions free, or once the motor is completely ruined because you did that and won't run any more.

But your issue and his are not the same, your issue is what you did to your truck his is a component failure.

Bair

Reaction score
Jus got done replacing the hpfp on my truck for the same issue. With IDS you can bump the rail pressure up to around 10k at idle to watch for any high pressure fittings under the valve cover leaking. Mine all looked good so the only thing at that point was hpfp seal. The one that was leaking was a used one with supposedly 5k miles. Put a new one on and all good. Moral of the story was never put a used hpfp on. My first one went out and took all the injectors along.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I would definitely run it with the valve covers off. I had a truck do this same thing to me after a build and one of the lines wasn't tight enough. It was snug but not to spec. You'll be pretty amazed at what 5k psi looks like coming from a leaking injector line. LOL

dommel01

Reaction score
OK guys well I got the new injector an the truck back together enough to crank, now j go to start it an nothing just makes some clicking noises from under the dash an the fuse panels, at one point the fuse panel under the hood was smoking a little, if I try an turn the lights on only the running lights come on an they blink along to the tick you can hear, but if you just open the door all.interornlights come on normal like, you put the key in an at any turn shuts the lights off an nothing happens, you let off the key an turn it off the interior lights a real dim am blink,, after a short while they go back to noraml

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Oh boy. I would check all harnesses to make sure they are all plugged in tight. Verify the few grounds are good and throw a charger on the batts. Any security lights on the dash?

dommel01

Reaction score
What would the security lights look like? I think the seatbelt light is flashing

78f100

Reaction score
The security light is a car with a lock through it. Check all your connections at the battery terms and all the ground straps. If you put ported rails on make sure they are not leaking also. Mine were pouring out the end plugs when I first put it together.
Like everyone said the best way is to crank it without the vc's on, if its leaking you will see it.

Latest posts

Members online