Need HELP ASAP!!

TARM

Reaction score
AM getting ready for a trip to Tx tomorrow early afternoon from Va. TO night I was gjust going over double checking everything with the truck.

I had a code in AE. SO I turned off the truck and PULLED THE KEYS out of the ignition. I pulled the chip out of the PCM to see if the chip was the issue. I had AE still plugged into the OdBII port.

Well immediately on putting the key back into the ignition I got a PATS Security Engine Disabled Code.

All I can guess is the AE beign hooked up and the card pulled tripped the PATS.

Now I can not start the engine. I can also no longer connect to AE either. All normal for when PATs locks you out.

BAsically everything comes on including the glow plug module accept of course the fuel pumps etc.

How do I reenable or turn off the PATS?

Pull the batteries for a few hours what?

RIght now I feel so SCREWED!!!. Everyone is asleep expecting to wake up and get ready to go to TX for 2 weeks and I have a Excursion that will not start.

SO I could use some help ASAP PLEASE

Damn I hate when crap like this happens.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
found this with a google search might help

instructions
Press the unlock button on your vehicle's key fob to deactivate the alarm. If you've misplaced your remote for the car, use the PATS programmed key to unlock the driver's side door. Then, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. The vehicle's battery should be on, but the engine shouldn't be running.

Locate the override button on the alarm box, beneath the driver's side of the dashboard. Press the button and hold it in until the alarm beeps one time. The LED light for the alarm should stop blinking, indicating the anti-theft system is disabled.

To reset the vehicle's alarm, put the PATS programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. Press the override button. When the alarm resets, it chirps two times and the LED light begins blinking.

TARM

Reaction score
THere is no alarm over ride button is Super duty or Excursions. I think that article was for one of the other car or light truck models. But thanks for looking.

I also already tried the key resync.

I turnt he key to on where all the lights are on.

Waited for the fast flashing to go to a slow flash ( about a minute)
Turn the key off and took it out for 30-40 seconds.
Put it back in and turned to on. IT still just goes to a fast flash.

If I did it wrong someone tell me the corrrect way if not what other way.

On an idea I went and unhooked the batteries and grounded them to dump as voltage out.

I am gonna waite a couple hours and then see if that some how coudl reset it.

But please I serious need help here.

Of course this has to happen @ 2AM when most are no longer up at least thru 3/4 of the country.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Is your chip tuned for the PATS system or not? A TS chip will not allow the PATS to function, reinstall your chip and see if it starts.

My wifes excursion before I swapped over to a pickup PCM would have the theft light flash like that, but the chip would not allow it to function at all.

TARM

Reaction score
Not it will not start with the chip in or out.

ITs a TS chip from Matt and has always worked. You know the deal where it flashs for a whiel when you first start it but goes away after a few mins of running.

The issue was I think when the PATS saw the power in the ODBII port scanning and then the chip was pulled even though no key was in it it locked the PCM hence the code.

Now I did just realize I made a mistake in the key sync. You have to have the key away from the ingnition at least two feet during the 30 seconds time out after the first key cycle. I had it right near the key slot so it was still being read by the transiever.

Still I know that unhooking the battieres will kill all codes on the PCM so I am hoping that takes care of it.

IF this somehow fried my PCM I am going to end up in jail for the thoughts I want to act on.

I think the PCM is just locked from a PATS code.

So much for getting any sleep before driving for 21 hrs.

BTW its easy to know if its been unlocked as will hear by fuel pump as it kills that circuit as part of the PATS kill.

TARM

Reaction score
Now what I am wondering as you said the chip disables PATS

When I do hook up the battiers after 1 hour I guess I should leave the CHip out while I resync the keys or that may not work if the chip does something with PATS? Or is that not the way it works.

Just do not wnat to get stuck waiting another hour to clear it again if I get it wrong.

I am assuming I have to do a key resyn giving that is what everything I can find on the subject states when you have the fast flashing security light and no start.

TARM

Reaction score
Just covering all bases

I What PCM will work in the 2001 Excursion? Will any of the 7.3 Excursion PCMs work and with the chip? IF its only certain years which one. If any super duty 7.3 PCM will work that would be good to know and much easier. Just want to have fall backs as no way I can afford what a dealer would sell one for which would be what $1K I bet.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
A Superduty PCM will work for like years and trans... However unless its a GPCM type (cali) it will not fire the glow plug control module.

Would get you buy, but you would not have glow plugs.

I swapped the PCM, wire harness and GPR when I did Chelsea's.

The Theft light would still blink, until I pulled the dash and removed the bulb...LOL

TARM

Reaction score
OK so my PCM is the DP 452 family IIRC so anyone from that family code would work or also any one from a 2001 Super duty. THere were not changes I know of between 2k and 2001 so I am thinking that might as well.

All I am worried about is that the PATs will some how act screwy with a different PCM so the only issue is the GPCM? I could give a rats ass about that as its no way cold enough and the damn thing is nothing but battery drain all but 3 months out of the year.

I think I fired the PCM.

I did the key syn properly and still no dice. I tried with card in and out and no dice. It fast blinks and no fuel pump activity at all. So word to the wise be damn careful if you have AE or anything sending power into the ODBII I guess as that is all there was when I pulled the card.

What was weird is when I put the key in that first time after pull ing the card it still turned on the pump and that is when I got the pats code etc. The pump kept running and did not shut off after the 30 sec. When I cleared the codes it shut off. Then I put the card back in to start it and when I key cycled to start it I got nothing.

TARM

Reaction score
Joe,

When you did the switch to the new PCM without the GPCM did you have to reprogram the keys or was that all fine. You just swapped it in and it started right up with the key as usually?

TARM

Reaction score
Are you sure it will start with any like PCM even a non PATS like Super duty without the harness change? Did you actually try it before swapping out the wiring harness? Do nto get me wrong it makes sense. THe pats is still connected to the interior harness and you only changed out the engine harness correct? SO I guess it would have to work.

Where exactly is the PATS module and can you unplug it and be done with it. I wonder if that would have taken care of your Security light. The PATs was doing a self test and not seeing what it needed to and was flashing the light in protest. Unplug PAts with a PCM that does not run PATs and I would think no more light go blinky. Also no chance of it some how locking down the engine.

I would unplug my PATS right now to prevent it screwing with the next PCM I put in.

I am still hoping someone on here will pop in and have a way to get this started without me having to run like crazy tomorrow to find a PCM.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Wouldn't you not have a wts light if you fried the pcm?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yup... My replacement PCM was a NVK2 or 3... Swapped the PCM, top of motor harness and installed a GPR.

I did not try it without the wire harness swap, but I cant see that keeping it from starting. I did not change the wire harness from the PCM to the top of motor, only the top of motor harness.

Throw a pickup PCM in there and be on your way!

TARM

Reaction score
OK Damn I sure hope this works. As if this fails it will be a huge disappointment to my family.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Check the fuse box inside. Trust me I do it all the time. It is a mini red fuse can't remember the number but it is in the middle row towards the bottom, there is a space that seperates the top and bottom row of fuses. It should be the bottom one before the space. If that doesn't make sense sorry. Just check the red fuses towards the bottom of the fuse box.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
It should run with the non pats superduty pcm. The next thing I would do is get it hooked up to a ford ids and see whats up with the pats. Even if it has a pats code stored it should still look to see if the vin matches on the key and pcm. I don't think these things are smart enough to lock you out. It simply won't start if they don't match up.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Check the fuse box inside. Trust me I do it all the time. It is a mini red fuse can't remember the number but it is in the middle row towards the bottom, there is a space that seperates the top and bottom row of fuses. It should be the bottom one before the space. If that doesn't make sense sorry. Just check the red fuses towards the bottom of the fuse box.

Ya do that first. I would think he has already tho...

TARM

Reaction score
Well llooks like I am completely screwed

been out all morning going from salvage yard to salvage yard. No one has anything with a 7.3 period thats 99+. I swear things are conspiring against me.

Unless someone on here lives with in driving distance of Winchester VA that has a PCM I can have or borrow for a month I am done. Will have to go out and have tires put on the minivan flush the tranny and hope we can squeeze everything into and the trans does not go out.

I went and pulled every fuse under the dash. Only thing I found was a blown 20amp to the cigarette light which I knew had stopped working but never dealt with.

It would be great if a miracles happened and someone on here had a PCM and was close by but other than that I am done.

Can not see any reason to call ford as you always have to order them

I also have no way to get it down to ford in time for them to hook it up to see why it blew.

I am almost 100% its a blown PCM. AE will not connect at all. I pulled the batteries for 1hr and that would kill all the codes including hard codes IIRC. Tried the key syn like 15 times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.