Need help in KCMO

DNewman

Reaction score
I was heading home last night when the truck out of the blue lost power and the engine stopped running. I was traveling at highway speed so my momentum kept the engine running and I coasted onto my exit and most of the way home before I had to stop. I tried starting it several times last night but all it would do is crank. This morning I installed a new International CPS and after several long cranks it finally started but almost wouldn't make it the 20ft into my drive. It will idle and rev past 2500rpm but has no power in gear. I then decided it could be the fuel pump so I replaced that but still had the same long crank and slow start to an idle and revving up like normal. While replacing the fuel pump I check the filter and bowel but all checked out normal. Filter is maybe 3 weeks old and I fill up at QT with fresh fuel every week. I then looked at the usual parts that might be the problem. It will start and idle so I unplugged the ICP and tried starting but it wouldn't start. ICP plugged back in and after long cranking it will start and idle and rev no power when tryig to drive. I then looked at the IPR. I took it off and disassemble and sprayed it inside and out with brake cleaner. Put it back together and reinstalled it but still the same long crank then slow start to just an idle but will rev. I don't have AE and the check engine light is not on and there are no regular codes that my cheap reader could read. I think it is the HPOP. It will fill up to within an inch of the top even after I cleaned the IPR and the LPOP is providing plenty of oil pressure for the engine. It feels like it's not getting fuel. It doesn't smoke like there is excess fuel in the cylinders. It usually starts withing 3-4 seconds of cranking. Batteries are good, oil is full and new Rotella T6 5W40. This is a 2000 7.3L 6 speed. Most of the motor is stock with 340000+ miles. Heads were rebuilt when I got the truck almost 2 years ago. Everything else could be original, I got it with 320000. New O rings on the injectors when the heads were rebuilt and normally no smoke at all. Does this sound like a bad HPOP? With this many miles I'm thinking it could be shot but would it just go out while driving with no sign of problems. If there is someone in the Kansas City area that has AE and can help I would appreciate it and of course provide your beer of choice for your trouble. I live in Blue Springs just east of KC. Any input will be great.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I was heading home last night when the truck out of the blue lost power and the engine stopped running. I was traveling at highway speed so my momentum kept the engine running and I coasted onto my exit and most of the way home before I had to stop. I tried starting it several times last night but all it would do is crank. This morning I installed a new International CPS and after several long cranks it finally started but almost wouldn't make it the 20ft into my drive. It will idle and rev past 2500rpm but has no power in gear. I then decided it could be the fuel pump so I replaced that but still had the same long crank and slow start to an idle and revving up like normal. While replacing the fuel pump I check the filter and bowel but all checked out normal. Filter is maybe 3 weeks old and I fill up at QT with fresh fuel every week. I then looked at the usual parts that might be the problem. It will start and idle so I unplugged the ICP and tried starting but it wouldn't start. ICP plugged back in and after long cranking it will start and idle and rev no power when tryig to drive. I then looked at the IPR. I took it off and disassemble and sprayed it inside and out with brake cleaner. Put it back together and reinstalled it but still the same long crank then slow start to just an idle but will rev. I don't have AE and the check engine light is not on and there are no regular codes that my cheap reader could read. I think it is the HPOP. It will fill up to within an inch of the top even after I cleaned the IPR and the LPOP is providing plenty of oil pressure for the engine. It feels like it's not getting fuel. It doesn't smoke like there is excess fuel in the cylinders. It usually starts withing 3-4 seconds of cranking. Batteries are good, oil is full and new Rotella T6 5W40. This is a 2000 7.3L 6 speed. Most of the motor is stock with 340000+ miles. Heads were rebuilt when I got the truck almost 2 years ago. Everything else could be original, I got it with 320000. New O rings on the injectors when the heads were rebuilt and normally no smoke at all. Does this sound like a bad HPOP? With this many miles I'm thinking it could be shot but would it just go out while driving with no sign of problems. If there is someone in the Kansas City area that has AE and can help I would appreciate it and of course provide your beer of choice for your trouble. I live in Blue Springs just east of KC. Any input will be great.

gotta get a scan..

Latest posts

Members online