Need Help!!!

rascal

Reaction score
Just took my truck for its first 60+ mile run and once I got my destination I crawled under the truck to check on a fuel leak I am having and saw oil at the exhaust joint at the downpipe. There is also oil on my turbo pedistal. Is my 38R that I just put on going out since oil is coming through the exhaust? I cranked my turbomaster all the way down but drove it since then and I am running stock tunes and injectors so I did not figure it would be a problem.

I am hoping that the pedistal bolts just need to be tightened down.

My dummy oil pressure gauges looks good and I am not blowing any smoke.

Please help!

Arisley

Reaction score
1. Did you recently (last couple hundred miles) pull injectors?

2. Did you replace pedestal O-rings.

3. Did you put a dab of grease on the lower O-rings to hold them in the groove?

If the answer to #1 is yes, there is your issue, don't worry to much.

If the answer to #2 or #3 is no, there is your issue and you need to correct those.

rascal

Reaction score
1. Did you recently (last couple hundred miles) pull injectors?

2. Did you replace pedestal O-rings.

3. Did you put a dab of grease on the lower O-rings to hold them in the groove?

If the answer to #1 is yes, there is your issue, don't worry to much.

If the answer to #2 or #3 is no, there is your issue and you need to correct those.

No to #1, yes to #2, and no to #3. The oil appears to be coming from the top of the pedistal.

Thank you.

rascal

Reaction score
ok, just to clarify. I think the oil is coming from the upper pedistal but there is more oil residue around the lower. Does grease hold it in place or could I use a hi-temp gasket glue? Still don't understand how oils was comin out of the exhaust if it was the pedistal? It appeared to be coming out of the joint where downpipe goes into the rest of the exhaust.

I appreciate your help/suggestions. I am going to start tearing back into it tomorrow or Monday after work. I will let you know what I find.

I have never heard of putting grease on those o-rings. Learn something new everyday.

Again, thank you for your help!

Arisley

Reaction score
Just put a dab of grease on the bottom O-rings to hold them in place while placing the pedestal in place. You can use any kind of grease. Don't use gasket glue.

rascal

Reaction score
I am taking the turbo back out tonight to inspect the orings. Is it common for the orings to move after they have been in there for a few heat cycles?

I am thinking that if the oring did move and it partially blocked the oil return port that it could have forced some oil to come out through the exhaust side of the turbo. If this did happen did it damage the turbo?

The 38R has only been in for a week and only put about 300 miles on it.

MossBack

Reaction score
Is it leaking out of the epbv ? The last turbo I pulled did for me. I am not sure if you have a deleted one it not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rascal

Reaction score
Well I got the turbo off last night and could not find the large oring between the pedistal and turbo; but I know it was there. I might have dropped it when taking the turbo off. The orings between the pedistal and block looked good and lined up well.

After further inspection it looked like oil make have been coming up passenger side up-pipe.

My new theory is I also installed an Adrenaline HPOP. Could the new HPOP be showing an injector oring issue? The has only got 116K on it. I am going to reinstall everything tonight and just drive it. I will pay close attention to my oil and hpopefully the issue wont get worse till the first of next year. That is when I was planning on injectors and their supporting mods.

Latest posts

Members online