Need some help

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Yesterday after I was leaving a light my truck started running rough and had little to no power(about an hour before that I just got fuel since my truck was below half). Pulled over and checked codes and got a p0231(already know what it is) cleared it but it came back. Turned the truck around and made it like 1000ft before it died like it ran out of fuel.

Got the truck towed home and this morning I changed out the fuel filter(which wasnt that dirty) it smelled of diesel.

Checked the fuses and had the fuse for the fuel pump relay blow 4 different times as soon as I keyed on, but on my last fuse it didnt blow it. Waited a bit to make sure the bowl filled up before I started the truck, get it started but its idling rough, tapped the throttle pedal and it slowly comes to life but still runs rough....

Limited with tools at home and no local help so cant really drop the tank

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Already unplugged the fuel heater, have no way to check fuel psi at the moment.

Cant really do much as anytime I turn the key on it blows fuse #40 for the fuel pump

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well thats pretty good indication that the pump is getting worn and overdrawing. Apparently its not moving fuel very well either.

Pump.sounds waxed to me.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Seems to be where all roads are leading, I'll change it out tomorrow and hope for the best

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
At least its a cheap fix IIRC. How bad can it be on a SD? Haven't had time to look around long on one. I HATED doing mine on my obs because I always hate pulling the fuel bowl for anything...

dsberman94

Reaction score
yea its right on the frame rail. hardest part would be fighting through all the other lines and hoses and wires that cover it. haha. 10 minutes tops trying to find the right tools in the overcrowded tool box.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Idk what to look at if it ain't the pump..... I'll look the wiring over again

Sent from the murder mitten

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Well I threw another 20amp fuse in there and it didnt blow it, crawled under the truck and the pump sounded like it was going on and off. Checked with a meter showed 0.00 at the pump.

Figured Id try and start it but now it barely cranks over, turn the key off then back on and my gauges all maxed out then went back to 0

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Got it started then it ran for a min before popping the fuse for the fuel pump

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Alright even with the red wire disconnected from the fuel pump its still blowing the fuse for the fuel pump

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Got it running, but idles like ****

ICP was boucing around from 470-650 while idling around 5-600rpm

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a wire rubbed through and shorting to ground. The best way I've found to find those is to hand over hand, inch by inch inspect the harness' or simply replace the harness. The latter has become my preferred method.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Well for ****s and giggles I unplugged the icp sensor, idle stayed the same.

DocBar

Reaction score
Well for ****s and giggles I unplugged the icp sensor, idle stayed the same.
Electrical problems cause all kinds of crazy stuff with these trucks. That's why I would be looking at all of my wiring harness', especially the one going to your fuel pump.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Found the worn spot in two different wire harnesses by the LF shock tower

Still idles like crap

ON EDIT............ Idle smoothed out after turning on my AIC to 1300 and leaveing it there for about 10 mins

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online