New parts and Tunes....

dangerdon

Reaction score
I aired up the actuator and the valve popped wide open. I tightened the line all the way down and hooked it back up. Couldn't take it out to see what it did cause of the driveshaft. I'm thinking it was the actuator. I'll let everybody know when I get the driveshaft back in what it runs like...

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I aired up the actuator and the valve popped wide open. I tightened the line all the way down and hooked it back up. Couldn't take it out to see what it did cause of the driveshaft. I'm thinking it was the actuator. I'll let everybody know when I get the driveshaft back in what it runs like...

Good deal. When I first got my 38r, there was so little spring pressure from the factory that I could grab the rod and open the flap with my hand. I thightened mine all the way down so that it couldn't open and had no problems making 40 psi in my upper tunes. I was running a WW2 and my back pressure stayed nearly 1:1 with my boost. Just make sure that e-clip popped back into the groove like it's supposed to and you will be golden.

dangerdon

Reaction score
Finally got the new driveshaft in....and its still smokes about the same goin down the highway even after the waste gate completely closed down. No other leaks that I can find. With the waste gate closed down it did fix the WOT boost. The boost pegged out and turned on the CEL.. I'm gonna do some more checkin and maybe try some PHP tunes next...

psduser1

Reaction score
Finally got the new driveshaft in....and its still smokes about the same goin down the highway even after the waste gate completely closed down. No other leaks that I can find. With the waste gate closed down it did fix the WOT boost. The boost pegged out and turned on the CEL.. I'm gonna do some more checkin and maybe try some PHP tunes next...

Gearhead is pretty clean

97stoker350

Reaction score
Have you checked for boost leaks. Gear head is going to have the cleanest tunes. Sounds to me like you're just interested in throwing parts and money away instead of actually diagnosing the problem. Many people have run that setup on here and they have told you what to do. The hard parts work but if there's something else like leaks then it will cripple the system. What are your egts like? They are a good indicator of leaks because it will run a lot hotter

DocBar

Reaction score
:whs:
Have you checked for boost leaks. Gear head is going to have the cleanest tunes. Sounds to me like you're just interested in throwing parts and money away instead of actually diagnosing the problem. Many people have run that setup on here and they have told you what to do. The hard parts work but if there's something else like leaks then it will cripple the system. What are your egts like? They are a good indicator of leaks because it will run a lot hotter
:whs: OP, can you scan for any codes or do any data logging? Gearhead has the cleanest tunes I've ever ran and I ran his tunes for years with 250/100's and a 38r.

dangerdon

Reaction score
I have a AE scanner and 6637 intake. I have pressured up all the system. I had one leak on the intake spyder at the MAP sensor connection.....and.....if I want to THROW money at it I will....It is 15 yrs old and a hobby....So if you don't like the post(97stroker350) don't follow or comment ....

97stoker350

Reaction score
Have at it sir. My only question is why are you asking for help if you already know what the problem is. Defective parts obviously. Have u tried a Cummins swap? That's where I'd start. 12 valves are a good engine. Very few problems. The also roll a lot of coal from what I hear

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
I have a AE scanner and 6637 intake.

Assuming you have no boost leaks and the 38R is working correctly, stage 2 nozzles will have some additional off-throttle/tip-in transition smoke (especially in off boost conditions). However, the tuners should have accounted for it.

Does the HPO pump supply pressure as commanded? Does it smoke with both tuners files? Does it smoke in all files? Im assuming black smoke, but it wasn't said, so are we chasing a mechanical issue?

Take the truck out on a typical loop where you see it smoking and collect some live data. Export it to an excel spreadsheet and post the spreadsheet attachment. Describe for us what kind of driving you were doing (terrain, etc).

Gearhead

Reaction score
if boost is lazy check to make sure you lined up the exhaust connection on the back of the turbo... I did it myself once... with a 1.0 housing it should spool instantly. also you should not get an overboost code with my tuning.

dangerdon

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted a reply.. I got laid off and got busy lookin for another job.. I think I figured out the leak... After about 300 miles the clamp that connects the up-pipes to the turbo got enough soot on it I could got some on my finger. After taking it off i saw a hair line crack in it. So I ordered a new one from dieselorings...should be here in acouple of days...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.