New project

psduser1

Reaction score
So I bought another project...
01 f350, manual 4x4. 410s, just over 220 on the clock. I've put a few thousand miles on it as a srw truck, and I hate towing with it! Dual wheels are so much nicer.
Since I've got two trucks that worked great set at 450 hp, with all the appropriate parts, and falling apart, why not, right?
So my son and I started that project this weekend. He wants to build his own truck, and dad has the parts, so I've got some labor to help me do this, lol. Anyway, we stripped the back half, cleaned a buttload of michigan specialty, and painted the frame. New springs, rebuild dana 80 set in place, and a small list for order tomorrow.
The old girl is getting a set of 350 springs, with an extra leaf and overloads. New brake lines while the tank is down, and a dual pump fuel system. The axle is 410s with an eaton trutrac.
Gonna get a "custom" back end for the bumper hitch, also, since that was a weak point on the 99-03s.

Attachments

• 20240707_185225.jpg
    20240707_185225.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 26

psduser1

Reaction score
I do want some input on this project, tho, since the last time I did this was almost 15 years ago.
I've always ran 160-200/80 100 injectors, and liked them for towing. I know low rpm smoke, lots of oil, and so on. I get all the downsides, and I've put roughly 300k miles on two trucks with them, one auto, one manual. Both trucks with a 38r.
This latest project will get new injectors and turbo, but I'm on the fence about the injectors. The turbo will probably be a kc journal bearing stg 2 or 3, depending on injector size. I like the idea of a 200 or 238 hybrid, with an 80% nozzle, I just don't have any experience with them, and I really don't want to learn the expensive way, again!
Gearhead has been my tuner of choice, but open to suggestions there, also.
Any input is appreciated, lol.

ToMang07

Reaction score
IMO, stick with what you know works. IIRC the larger injectors were more prone to cups cracking, and if you were happy with the previous setup... don't fix what aint broke.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I do want some input on this project, tho, since the last time I did this was almost 15 years ago.
I've always ran 160-200/80 100 injectors, and liked them for towing. I know low rpm smoke, lots of oil, and so on. I get all the downsides, and I've put roughly 300k miles on two trucks with them, one auto, one manual. Both trucks with a 38r.
This latest project will get new injectors and turbo, but I'm on the fence about the injectors. The turbo will probably be a kc journal bearing stg 2 or 3, depending on injector size. I like the idea of a 200 or 238 hybrid, with an 80% nozzle, I just don't have any experience with them, and I really don't want to learn the expensive way, again!
Gearhead has been my tuner of choice, but open to suggestions there, also.
Any input is appreciated, lol.

Injector and turbo technology has come a long ways in the past 15 years. The “tow package” we sell is 180/30 and a stage 1, and that puts 400-425 to the tire. Our test truck is a Dually, and we’ve currently got a new version of our stage 3 on it for durability testing, and I believe 238/80s in the truck and we’re at damn near 600hp, like high 580s, low 590s. This truck is an 01 with like 575k on it or something retarded like that, but it runs pretty damn good.

For a tow truck, I’d do either 180/30 or 205/30 and a stage 1, a stage 2 if you want it to be a little hotter for the weekend shenanigans. We use mostly Andrew Arthur or jelibuilt for tuning, I prefer the jelibuilt tunes over Andrew’s, but both are good, and we’ve got customers who love either one. Never personally ran a 7.3 with gearhead so I can’t compare them, but he’s a good tuner on other platforms, so he’d be fine for the 7.3 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastersteve

Reaction score
Injector and turbo technology has come a long ways in the past 15 years. The “tow package” we sell is 180/30 and a stage 1, and that puts 400-425 to the tire. Our test truck is a Dually, and we’ve currently got a new version of our stage 3 on it for durability testing, and I believe 238/80s in the truck and we’re at damn near 600hp, like high 580s, low 590s. This truck is an 01 with like 575k on it or something retarded like that, but it runs pretty damn good.

For a tow truck, I’d do either 180/30 or 205/30 and a stage 1, a stage 2 if you want it to be a little hotter for the weekend shenanigans. We use mostly Andrew Arthur or jelibuilt for tuning, I prefer the jelibuilt tunes over Andrew’s, but both are good, and we’ve got customers who love either one. Never personally ran a 7.3 with gearhead so I can’t compare them, but he’s a good tuner on other platforms, so he’d be fine for the 7.3 as well

Is that with PMRs or forged rods? Any issues?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

I’m not sure, I haven’t checked. He has not had any issues with it, and tows a 25ish foot toy hauler every other month. He does say the bigger turbo is a bit laggy for towing, but that’s to be expected, and it’s not something we recommend for towing, for the obvious reasons.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Forgot to add, we do expect to see a rod someday, in which case we’ll know for sure, it just hasn’t happened yet. He’s got close to 30k on the injectors, has been thru probably 20 turbos through testing stuff and dynoing each turbo against each other. Truck probably has around 100 dyno pulls on it.

psduser1

Reaction score
Forgot to add, we do expect to see a rod someday, in which case we’ll know for sure, it just hasn’t happened yet. He’s got close to 30k on the injectors, has been thru probably 20 turbos through testing stuff and dynoing each turbo against each other. Truck probably has around 100 dyno pulls on it.

Fwiw, I'd think tuning would manage most of the torque issues that cause problems with low end fueling.

psduser1

Reaction score
I’m not sure, I haven’t checked. He has not had any issues with it, and tows a 25ish foot toy hauler every other month. He does say the bigger turbo is a bit laggy for towing, but that’s to be expected, and it’s not something we recommend for towing, for the obvious reasons.

The 205 is the hybrid, I assume. I've also ran the 80% nozzle, just to shorten pw a bit, running a nonstock hpop.
I know a lot of tuners prefer the smaller nozzle, just for ease of tuning, but, with a manual, there's no Trans issues to manage.
How heavy are you loading your dually for reference? I'm usually at 14k, behind the truck, up to "way the f over the legal limit", to give you an idea what I'm doing.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The 205 is the hybrid, I assume. I've also ran the 80% nozzle, just to shorten pw a bit, running a nonstock hpop.
I know a lot of tuners prefer the smaller nozzle, just for ease of tuning, but, with a manual, there's no Trans issues to manage.
How heavy are you loading your dually for reference? I'm usually at 14k, behind the truck, up to "way the f over the legal limit", to give you an idea what I'm doing.

It’s one of the guys at the shops truck, I’d say his toy hauler is probably in the 12-14k range. So not terribly heavy, but I do think especially with a stick, the smaller turbo would be better, as it’s gonna have to relight basically between shifts.

Yeah the 205 is a hybrid, saves the cost of an hpop typically if yours is on the edge, and won’t maintain with larger conventionals.

psduser1

Reaction score
So, fuel pump recommendations? I've been running dual SD pumps, but I've seen a few guys run aftermarket single pumps with bigger injectors, and id like to simplify a bit. Any thoughts there?

SoGrand

Reaction score
So, fuel pump recommendations? I've been running dual SD pumps, but I've seen a few guys run aftermarket single pumps with bigger injectors, and id like to simplify a bit. Any thoughts there?
I am running a new stock super duty pump with sinisters fuel reg return on my 01 with 205/80cc hybrid with adrenaline HPOP and KC38R stage 2 dual ball bearing turbo and have no problems at all and truck runs strong.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

The Dually at the shop is running a drop in walboro replacement, can’t remember the flow rate on it, but it was like 100 bucks on Amazon.

dsberman94

Reaction score

I’m running the irate kit with the billet filter
Block and pump deal with 250/200s and they still told
Me to keep it on low speed. No issues with it. Came with Baldwin filters. Can’t remember if it’s the competition one or not though. I think they’ve changed pumps since I got mine, it’s been 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

SoGrand

Reaction score
I’m running the irate kit with the billet filter
Block and pump deal with 250/200s and they still told
Me to keep it on low speed. No issues with it. Came with Baldwin filters. Can’t remember if it’s the competition one or not though. I think they’ve changed pumps since I got mine, it’s been 5 or 6 years.
I was going to run that kit or a Driven Diesel but i just didn't want to drop the tank. Not a Sinister fan at all but that fuel system was very easy to put in.

psduser1

Reaction score
The Dually at the shop is running a drop in walboro replacement, can’t remember the flow rate on it, but it was like 100 bucks on Amazon.

I've been told a single will hold pressure reliably to somewhere around 200 cc, but I'd rather err on the side of caution with fuel flow.

psduser1

Reaction score
I am running a new stock super duty pump with sinisters fuel reg return on my 01 with 205/80cc hybrid with adrenaline HPOP and KC38R stage 2 dual ball bearing turbo and have no problems at all and truck runs strong.
I have 1/2" ss lines to irates rr return in the valley. It has worked well for well over 200k miles, but I'm sure with the dual pumps, it was way overkill for the injectors I was running.
I emailed irate this week about the -200 bosch pump, and I'll probably go that route just to simplify the wiring .
How do you like the bb turbo? I am leaning toward the kc journal bearing turbo, just for cost, but I really liked the 38r on the last truck.

psduser1

Reaction score

Any chance you've ran a fuel gauge to see how well it maintained pressure under full load with the 238s? A single stock style pump would be a lot cheaper....

SoGrand

Reaction score
I have 1/2" ss lines to irates rr return in the valley. It has worked well for well over 200k miles, but I'm sure with the dual pumps, it was way overkill for the injectors I was running.
I emailed irate this week about the -200 bosch pump, and I'll probably go that route just to simplify the wiring .
How do you like the bb turbo? I am leaning toward the kc journal bearing turbo, just for cost, but I really liked the 38r on the last truck.
I talked to Fullforce and they told me to put a brand new pump and regulated return and i would be just fine running the 205's. Ball bearing turbo works great and spools very quick and the most i have hauled with it is about 13,000. My stock transmission doesn't like it but i rebuild transmissions so when that fails that will get built up also. I have around 23,000 miles on the set up. I wanted something with a little more power and keep me from driving and putting miles on my 2024 Limited that will be d---ted very soon. I traded my 2020 that was also d----ted that had 189,000 on it and i want to keep this 24 for about 5-6 years and keep miles low so i bought this 01 7.3L.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Been a while buddy, glad all is well!
Just my opinion;
Small hybrid, turbo of choice and dual fuel pumps.
Had a pump crap the bed while I was 400mi from home and kept driving till I got home then replaced it with a warranty from the parts store.
Held pressure just fine with 350/200s after I switched to the smallest tune and drove easy.
I do love simplicity and the availability of these parts make the difference for me.
PS: we need pics of the truck!

‘96 7.3- Precision Turbo 76mm, Carrillos, Colt stg2, BAMF

‘16 CCLB 350 6.7- Tyrant 230, Low-temp therm, Bilstein 5100s

'22 CCLB 350 Platinum- Star white, Snow stg 3, Lo-temp therm, fox 2.0s/dual stabilizer, air bags, S&B, 22s/37s

Latest posts

Members online