New to the 6.7L, DD, a few questions

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently picked up a '13 CCSD Lariat...50K miles, CPO, black, leather, 4X4, super loaded. I love it.

I've got a few questions that I need some advice on, as I'd like to run this truck for a lot of miles.

I commute in this truck, lots of shortish trips, etc. I've become conscious about consolidating trips., leaving it running, etc to ensure it has ample time to cool down.

Given that it has a warranty, I'm skeptical about any mods at this time, so I guess what I'm really asking is what are the things I can do to ensure it runs well and is safe to turn off? All emissions are intact and will likely remain so until my warranty is up at 100K miles.

I'm really excited about my truck and thankful to Bricewise (who I know IRL) for pointing me to this group of experts.

-RyanD

RyanD

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just assumed I needed to idle it 3-4 minutes, since I can never tell when the last DPF clean was and want to make sure it's cool enough to shut off w/o long term damage.

I saw a few threads on other sites where guys report heads grenading due to brittle exhaust valves..cause being shutting the truck off soon after a DPF clean, and the rapid heating/cooling cycle over time being the culprit.

If I'm crazy, please tell me. I'd rather someone straighten me out than just let me keep thinking what I am doing is right.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
My '13 has 17k and is my DD basically. I drive it 7 miles to work one way and only leave it on if I am going to be somewhere for a few minutes. I use mine to tow my landscaping trailer once or twice a week and it gets used for mulch and moving jobs occasionally. I bought the extended warranty with mine in case there are any issues. I do not plan on deleting it or doing any major mods except maybe a leveling kit and wheels/tires next year.

It's an awesome truck, you will love it!

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just assumed I needed to idle it 3-4 minutes, since I can never tell when the last DPF clean was and want to make sure it's cool enough to shut off w/o long term damage.

I saw a few threads on other sites where guys report heads grenading due to brittle exhaust valves..cause being shutting the truck off soon after a DPF clean, and the rapid heating/cooling cycle over time being the culprit.

If I'm crazy, please tell me. I'd rather someone straighten me out than just let me keep thinking what I am doing is right.

the dropping valve issues on some of the 2011 Job 1 trucks was a casting flaw from the valve manufacturer. nothing to do with heat cycles or shutting the truck off too soon.

RyanD

Reaction score
Thanks for the context sootie. I picked up a cheap Bluetooth obd2 sensor and the torque app for my phone and it can monitor EGT...so far so good. Thanks!!

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
My '13 has 17k and is my DD basically. I drive it 7 miles to work one way and only leave it on if I am going to be somewhere for a few minutes. I use mine to tow my landscaping trailer once or twice a week and it gets used for mulch and moving jobs occasionally. I bought the extended warranty with mine in case there are any issues. I do not plan on deleting it or doing any major mods except maybe a leveling kit and wheels/tires next year.

It's an awesome truck, you will love it!

well see about that!

Latest posts

Members online