New truck dilema, Ram vs. Ford

Mahdeys

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new truck. Went to a Ram dealer and test drove a 3500 CC Laramie with the Aisin trans. Wife went along with me and she liked the truck. With EP pricing and incentives I can get the truck for $48k. Sticker is $63,100.

Told the salesman I am also looking at Fords and then proceeded to drive across the street to the sister dealership. They had just gotten one 2015 F-350 lariet in earlier that day (plastic protection still on it, antenna in back seat) and took it for a drive. First of all, engine was nearly silent. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel and the 6.7 made the 3.0 sound like a tractor from outside. Inside the truck, I could barely tell the truck was running. Went for a test drive and was blown away. The power and how smooth it drove was nuts. My wife did not like the seats in the ford though. We talk numbers and here is where the dilemma starts.

They found a truck the way I want it spec'd and its $57k after haggling. This is my first NEW diesel truck purchase and I want to keep this truck for 10 years at minimum. Is the ford $9-12k (depending on option for the f-350) better than the Ram? Another thing is working on the 2015 when parts do fail. I can have a valve cover off and injector out on a 6.7 in 30 minutes for a cummins and a turbo is simple...well everything on a cummins is easier to work on...but is the 6.7 powerstroke that much better of an engine?

Help me convince my little brain please. The guys with 2015's, have any of you had any issues?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
If you want to keep it for 10 years id go with the ford. To put it simple the Dodge is cheaply built. I have never been around a dodge that had over 100k miles that didn't rattle, squeak and bang like a 1940 international.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
Loved my 7.3 for 280K miles. Sold it and picked up an 08 6.7 I got over 120K miles on it without any issues and runs better than it did new

WoodBoy

Reaction score
And the sig...............................................................................

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I would go with the ford, I find it hard to believe the seats are uncomfortable compared to the Dodge. You just need to do some reading up on the ford engine and just do some studying on how everything works. I doubt you will be pulling any injectors on this, remember new trucks have warranties so you don't have to work on anything. Good luck on your choice, haggle them more and tell them you are leaning towards the dodge accross the street!

swinky

Reaction score
Think resale value as well. I honestly think in 10 years the only thing the dodge/cummins has going for it "reputation" will be lost. The 6.7 Cummins doesn't live up to the Cummins hype imo. Without that it's not going to be worth much.

And honestly do you really want to drive a ***kin dodge?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Black04Ram

Reaction score
They are both great trucks.. and can haggle a great deal on the rams currently. Pick whichever you prefer!

bigaF250

Reaction score
I am actually in the exact same boat as you are right now. Was really impressed with the new ram personally. But after a visit to Cummins forum I will NOT buy the ram. Research it a little before making your decision. I will be buying and lifting a new powerstroke

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mahdeys

Reaction score
I am actually in the exact same boat as you are right now. Was really impressed with the new ram personally. But after a visit to Cummins forum I will NOT buy the ram. Research it a little before making your decision. I will be buying and lifting a new powerstroke

I've been reading the issues thread on cummins forum.

mwdguy

Reaction score
My cousins 2012 dodge 3500 with 60000 miles rattles and squeaks so bad i will not ride in it at all. It has become his wife's truck because she drives mostly highway and he took her 2008 gmc 1500. We both drive oilfield roads.

bigaF250

Reaction score
Ya I went through all 30 some pages last night and they are just falling apart everywhere. Especially the electronics. I was ready to pull the trigger on one on Monday but now I will be searching for my new Ford and a good 4.5 inch lift

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Ya I went through all 30 some pages last night and they are just falling apart everywhere. Especially the electronics. I was ready to pull the trigger on one on Monday but now I will be searching for my new Ford and a good 4.5 inch lift

The electronics issue has been with Dodge for years. I think it kinda funny that they cannot fix some of their known issues that have folks have been dealing with for 15 years or more.

Time will tell if the redesigned front axle set up on the 3500 will cure their front end issues.

shoalwater

Reaction score
I have a buddy that got rid of his 12 KR SB 4x4 and bought a new 14 Ram LB 4X4, both being 3/4 tons. He said he likes the air ride suspension better on the Ram, but he said it doesn't seem to have the power that the Ford did. Overall he doesn't seem to have any regrets, but time will tell. Before his KR he had a 07.5 Dodge 6.7 he ran for almost 200K that was pretty trouble free, so he decided to go back to it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.