New truck new probZ

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked this bad boy up dirt cheap and trying to make a nice truck out of it. Original owner thought the motor was bad and it ended being a bad UVCH, took it for a run and it runs great. Found out the injector orings were smoked so I installed some new alliants. Go to restart after I'm done, started right up then started ticking, thinking it's a lifter? Runs great, doesn't smoke and has all its power and there is no blow by, I thought it was a piston skirt but it doesn't smoke. What do you think is my best plan of attack?

Also, I unplugged each of the injectors one at a time and tick never goes away.
http://youtu.be/csTxAV-B_dQ

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Check up pipes and what not. Check for smoke on fire wall and around the manifolds as well. Up-pipes are notorious for cracking on the 7.3's. New bellowed up pipes (NOT DORMAN) is a must IMO for these trucks.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I think tall need to get your hearing checked lol its not an exhaust leak it's a distinct tap/knock. Wi the the glow plugs out on the passenger side and injectors undone it still taps. But it's definitely coming from the passenger side

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Well saying it's a knock/tap not an exhaust leak and I think it's a lifter. I was told they can get clogged, wasn't sure if the best course of action was to replace them or if there is a port on the block that gets clogged.

golfer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked this bad boy up dirt cheap and trying to make a nice truck out of it. Original owner thought the motor was bad and it ended being a bad UVCH, took it for a run and it runs great. Found out the injector orings were smoked so I installed some new alliants. Go to restart after I'm done, started right up then started ticking, thinking it's a lifter? Runs great, doesn't smoke and has all its power and there is no blow by, I thought it was a piston skirt but it doesn't smoke. What do you think is my best plan of attack?

Also, I unplugged each of the injectors one at a time and tick never goes away.
http://youtu.be/csTxAV-B_dQ

I listened to it...definitely sounds like it has a dead miss...dead.

a piston skirt wouldn't affect blowby, as it/that doesn't affect ring sealing...but it def has a misfire when you rev it up, and a funny shake on the way back down to idle.

to me it (the sound/tick, not the miss) sounds like a worn out piston pin bushing on a connecting rod...and the miss is either an injector or a weak cylinder.

if it were a collapsed lifter, you'd almost certainly have popping out either the intake or exhaust...

have you run a compression test on the engine?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
It must have been a clogged lifter, I changed the oil and ran the snot out of it on the highway. Tick slowly went away. It now runs perfect.

Latest posts

Members online