New Truck

Rob D

Reaction score
Relay was dead. Voltmeter told the story first - jumped the large posts for a minute and it fired right up. Have the new relay and will install when I have daylight. Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Rob D

Reaction score
Welp since it's 60 degrees in New England in December!!??...figured I would enjoy the day outside and clean up some wiring in the new rig. There were a bunch of dead switches and a bird nest of wiring hanging below the dash. Half assed wiring is a pet peeve of mine. Anyway by the time I was done tracing out and removing all wiring that was serving no purpose - I ended up with quite the pile of crap! Some people should just not wire themselves what a mess!!:doh:

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Rob D

Reaction score
Morning gents - couple new questions for the seasoned 7.3 folks:

The previous owner did a CCV re-route. As you would guess that is done incorrectly as well (stops right under the driver door) so all the smoke comes right into the truck if the windows down. Anyway - point of this question is that the truck has a lot of smoke coming from the re-route....way more than what my 6.0 re-route does. Is that typical of the 7.3s? It vents direct to atmo - does not have a catch; as such there is a decent amount of oil under there too.

On similar topic...

I was surfing around on the forum this morning and came across this thread (http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68589) regarding the G38Rs eating oil. I had started a different thread on here before buying the truck inquiring about the fact that the owner stated the truck smokes at cold start up and then goes away. I believed it was probably injector o-rings bc I was told it was more white than blue, however to me it is more blue than white - I will get a video up soon; but I am wondering if this whole G38R with the CCV re-route could be combining forces into a smokey situation. Oil maybe pushing past the seal and causing the smoke? I would not think there would be any pressure issues with the CCV venting right to atmo - but maybe the truck and or turbo are just super sensitive to any pressure changes? Some of the guys who posted said they had issues with the G38R with a CCV re-route and when returning it back to stock configuration the problem went away.

Will probably just put everything back to OEM when I get the time and see if it makes any difference but just figured I would post up and see what some have to say.

Last edited:

mandkole

Reaction score
Morning gents - couple new questions for the seasoned 7.3 folks:

The previous owner did a CCV re-route. As you would guess that is done incorrectly as well (stops right under the driver door) so all the smoke comes right into the truck if the windows down. Anyway - point of this question is that the truck has a lot of smoke coming from the re-route....way more than what my 6.0 re-route does. Is that typical of the 7.3s? It vents direct to atmo - does not have a catch; as such there is a decent amount of oil under there too.

I was surfing around on the forum this morning and came across this thread (http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68589) regarding the G38Rs eating oil. I had started a different thread on here before buying the truck inquiring about the fact that the owner stated the truck smokes at cold start up and then goes away. I believed it was probably injector o-rings bc I was told it was more white than blue, however to me it is more blue than white - I will get a video up soon; but I am wondering if this whole G38R with the CCV re-route could be combining forces into a smokey situation. Oil maybe pushing past the seal and causing the smoke? I would not think there would be any pressure issues with the CCV venting right to atmo - but maybe the truck and or turbo are just super sensitive to any pressure changes? Some of the guys who posted said they had issues with the G38R with a CCV re-route and when returning it back to stock configuration the problem went away.

Will probably just put everything back to OEM when I get the time and see if it makes any difference but just figured I would post up and see what some have to say.

Most heavy truck draft tubes just run alongside the oil pan. They do get a little smoky especially when hot --mine runs to where the bed starts and I smell mine once in awhile. Some day Id like to do a ccv filter and run it back to the intake. You can run them all the way to the back if you want and into a catch jar but avoid low spots where oil can collect (like a P trap) because it will plug them. The turbo seals can be damaged if the case pressure rises.

Blue, cold start up smoke can be attributed to glow plug issues, tired injectors, poor compression, etc . Mine is well sealed but it does it, it goes away and I don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Rob D

Reaction score
Swapped the headlights that came on the truck yesterday with a set of Harley Lights by Eagle Eyes. Must say I am very impressed with the quality of the Eagle Eye lights. Time will tell how they do with moisture etc. but I think truck looks much better! :thumbup:

Before:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums...0_10205488250674817_8834832175263103024_n.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/robd4404/Headlights For Sale/7.jpg

After:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/robd4404/2003 F250/IMG_3281.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/robd4404/2003 F250/IMG_3296.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/robd4404/2003 F250/IMG_3282_1.jpg

Last edited:

jaybuller

Reaction score
Yes way better! If I ever get tired of my old yellowed stock 99 headlights I'll go the route you just did. But I don't drive at night for the stock ones to bother me

Rob D

Reaction score
Jay - for the $160.00 bucks you can't beat these. Ford wanted over $300/ea. I could not swallow over $600.00 bucks!

My truck is an 03 but it obv. has the 05+ front end conversion. I believe for a 99 you would have to do some trimming to fit these. You also need to make sure you get the harness converter to run the 05+ lights.

Overall night luminescence is good; not great - but thats as to be expected with a tinted light like these. Upgrading the bulb to a nice aftermarket LED I am sure would solve the problem; but I can live with them for now.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the eagle eyes clear coated by a paint shop. Ive had mine for about a year and a half and they are peeling pretty bad. Moisture wise is good. The lastset i had were on for 2 years before i wrecked the truck and they were pretty good moisture wise as well. The peeled pretty bad too though.

Rob D

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the eagle eyes clear coated by a paint shop. Ive had mine for about a year and a half and they are peeling pretty bad. Moisture wise is good. The lastset i had were on for 2 years before i wrecked the truck and they were pretty good moisture wise as well. The peeled pretty bad too though.

Thanks for the heads up. I did a decent amount of research before pulling the trigger on them. Didn't come across this as a common problem. Anyway you think it could be the strength of the sun down there in AZ?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Definately could be but i was in california with the last set, granted it was southern, but less killer sun than here.

psduser1

Reaction score
Jay - for the $160.00 bucks you can't beat these. Ford wanted over $300/ea. I could not swallow over $600.00 bucks!

My truck is an 03 but it obv. has the 05+ front end conversion. I believe for a 99 you would have to do some trimming to fit these. You also need to make sure you get the harness converter to run the 05+ lights.

Overall night luminescence is good; not great - but thats as to be expected with a tinted light like these. Upgrading the bulb to a nice aftermarket LED I am sure would solve the problem; but I can live with them for now.
I have the 05 front end on my 00, with eagle eyes Harley lights. Definitely a nice step up from the stockers. No moisture going on four years, and no peeling. Course I'm in the great white north.

Jomax

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I did a decent amount of research before pulling the trigger on them. Didn't come across this as a common problem. Anyway you think it could be the strength of the sun down there in AZ?

I've been using a cheap solution with great success.

Outdoor clear UV resistant urethane( for wood)

And mineral spirits

50/50 mix. Use a blue paper towel folded in a small square, wipe it on and let dry.

I use compound with a buffer if there little haze.

It's they're bad I use 1000grit then 2000. Then compound and polish. Then finish it up with the 50/50 mix posted above

This car is going on 3 months still like new

ba3f23194486acbfabc631ecf68a287c.jpg
725e3be25c33b652aa6610ecd8a94ad2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
Jomax - is that first picture a pic of stock clouded headlight vs the eagle eyes - or is that what happens to the eagle eyes if you don't treat them?

mandkole

Reaction score
Good idea using the urethane. Ive sanded and polished the factory light boxes on the daughters Mustang a couple of times recently and it seems like they are clouding faster and faster now.

Jomax

Reaction score
Jomax - is that first picture a pic of stock clouded headlight vs the eagle eyes - or is that what happens to the eagle eyes if you don't treat them?

For the VW? The first pic is one head light polished and sealed. And the other was still clouded, didn't start on it yet. I use it as a before and after.

Jomax

Reaction score
Good idea using the urethane. Ive sanded and polished the factory light boxes on the daughters Mustang a couple of times recently and it seems like they are clouding faster and faster now.

Reason it's clouding faster is, the UV coat is completely gone. It's only plastic.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Thats good info jomax, thanks. I will give that a shot before having mine clear coated.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've been using a cheap solution with great success.

Outdoor clear UV resistant urethane( for wood)

And mineral spirits

50/50 mix. Use a blue paper towel folded in a small square, wipe it on and let dry.

I use compound with a buffer if there little haze.

It's they're bad I use 1000grit then 2000. Then compound and polish. Then finish it up with the 50/50 mix posted above

This car is going on 3 months still like new

ba3f23194486acbfabc631ecf68a287c.jpg
725e3be25c33b652aa6610ecd8a94ad2.jpg

That looks like a million bucks! Thanks for sharing you meathod. I've got a few cars that need this done real bad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online