New turbo blowing white smoke? help me out please

goodie85

Reaction score
Well I just got my 38r in and have a boost leak that I can't fix until I get a new v-band clamp (its for the one in the very front that goes on the x-pipe and horn of turbo) Also when I really romp on it, the cloud goes from pitch black to white in a real quick hurry.

Also when I park after driving what seems to be oil drips out of the exhaust I looked inside the bay with it running and the only thing I see is the boost leak (that also leaves a very faint white haze in the engine bay.) I blew my stock turbo up and right when it blew I saw a ton of white smoke could this still just be from that? Or do I have another issue?

goodie85

Reaction score
Would the turbo leaking be from the pedestal o-rings? I never seen any oil or anything around the turbo the only thing I can think of on it is that its left over or when I put the new one on I somehow unseated the orings in the pedestal

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
How many miles have you put on it since you got oil in the exhaust system, AND was it dripping all the way out of the tailpipe?

goodie85

Reaction score
maybe 2 miles after I blew the turbo I parked it and it sat and to be positive it was the turbo I just started it and let it idle and it was blowing white but you could hear the turbo was shot. I got the 38r and put it in and let it run so it could "oil up" and then I drove it about a mile and knew i had a boost leak so I checked that and found that, then I test drove again and went half throttle in my dd tune and I seen black smoke then seen white just a few moments later while i was still at half throttle. and yes the oil was dripping out of the tailpipe, it dripped like 8-10 drops is all though and after the second time driving maybe 6 drops tops. also does anyone know where I can find the v-band clamps for the x-pipe-horn of turbo?

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Most likely it's oil in the pipe from your old turbo. It will need to burn off.

OSCS

Reaction score
With 5 miles on the new turbo and oil coming as far back as your tailpipe I bet you need to just CALMLY drive it around a bit more to see if the smoke clears

goodie85

Reaction score
With 5 miles on the new turbo and oil coming as far back as your tailpipe I bet you need to just CALMLY drive it around a bit more to see if the smoke clears

Alright, well it just got me a little nervous. I'll get the dern boost leak fixed hopefully today if I can find a v-band clamp for the turbo horn - x-pipe. I'm assuming it left over but I wasn't sure since it didnt smoke white besides when I got on it it'd just go from black to white.

goodie85

Reaction score
well I drove it probably ten miles after I fixed the boost leak and I still have blueish-white smoke coming out, I'm just a little nervous something else is bad, I did the blowby test with the oil cap and it didn't move just kinda wanted to slide around, Also I have some blueish-white smoke coming from the oil fill tube does that mean anything?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
well I drove it probably ten miles after I fixed the boost leak and I still have blueish-white smoke coming out, I'm just a little nervous something else is bad, I did the blowby test with the oil cap and it didn't move just kinda wanted to slide around, Also I have some blueish-white smoke coming from the oil fill tube does that mean anything?

thats normal crank case vapor.... like said just drive it till the exhaust is hot. should clear up after that...

goodie85

Reaction score
alright well it was just the oil from the old turbo, thats all out. Now I'm wondering if I have another boost leak, on my way to Webster (town 40 miles from where I am) i was seeing egt's at 700-850 and then on my way back they were 850-950 (had maybe a 5-10mph head wind on the way back, but I've never noticed a change when I've had a head wind before.). I checked everything and can't seem to find a boost leak anywhere any ideas on where to look closer at?

goodie85

Reaction score
Also I should state that I only hit roughly 20-23 psi of boost when I was fully on it in the dd tune. I'm still a little nervous on stomping her down in the race or extreme race tunes. The turbo pulled way harder than the stock one though, and I'm not saying just a little harder I mean the truck pulls extremely hard compared to before now. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm new to putting on these types of upgrades so bear with my unintelligent mind, I'm just trying to get as much help as possible so I can feel more comfortable driving it and not worry the whole time

goodie85

Reaction score

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a complete dumb@$$ but how do you use it? Also another dumb@$$ question, how does a guy go abaout cranking the wastegate shut? I must be missing something because I'm not seeing a nut to tighten or loosen anywhere?

you plum it in to your intake boot... im guessing he has a boot that will fit over the pvc cap he used.... ive used my cousins a million times and should build my own.... anyway, when its on the intake and tightened down tight, put some air to it. doesnt need a lot just a few lbs will do... need to be in a quiet place also. some minor leaks are hard to find... thats when a spraybottle of dishsoap and water come in handy....

for the wastegate, there is a C clip on the end of the rod that you take off and can turn the end where the c clip is. its a pain in the arse btw! with my big hands im better off taking the turbo off to do that..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.