Newer Dana 60 into an older truck???

juniort444e

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a dana 60 that came out of a 2005 truck.

Will it fit without any problems?

Even though it had coil springs, with it still work with my leaf springs?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a dana 60 that came out of a 2005 truck.

Will it fit without any problems?

Even though it had coil springs, with it still work with my leaf springs?

It will easily fit if you upgrade everything to radius arms/links and coils. It will not work with leaf springs.

If it won't work for you and the price is right I could be interested in that Dana 60 axle. Can't seem to find enough of them at good prices.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Well im picking it up for 350. But i have to drive into bum**** Wv somewhere to get it. Probably this weekend. I found a few others on craigs list around those prices too.

The tag on the axle has a build date of 2003. And looks to have the leaf perchs. So im guessing its a straight swap over, and reuse all my stuff.

I am wanting to upgrade the hubs to a free spin, and brakes to ssbc. Not sure what to do with ball joints and what not, i want to replace them while its off the truck, but not sure on whos to use. And i want to change my front leafs to.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Well im picking it up for 350. But i have to drive into bum**** Wv somewhere to get it. Probably this weekend. I found a few others on craigs list around those prices too.

The tag on the axle has a build date of 2003. And looks to have the leaf perchs. So im guessing its a straight swap over, and reuse all my stuff.

I am wanting to upgrade the hubs to a free spin, and brakes to ssbc. Not sure what to do with ball joints and what not, i want to replace them while its off the truck, but not sure on whos to use. And i want to change my front leafs to.

Then it is not a 2005 or newer axle.

weareweird69

Reaction score

BUT, if you say its got leaf perches, the above links wont help you.

But youve got some work ahead of you there either way.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Sorry if i didnt say this either, as i was busy burning my delicious hamburgers into coal.

These are going on my 2001, not into a obs. And from the tag in the pic the build date year was 2003. And looks to have leaf spring pearchs. The guy told me 2005, and the pic said something different, and turns out he had two different ones.

So, is it just a straight swap over, or still doing some work and other things to make it fit?

Thanks for the links too.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Sorry if i didnt say this either, as i was busy burning my delicious hamburgers into coal.

These are going on my 2001, not into a obs. And from the tag in the pic the build date year was 2003. And looks to have leaf spring pearchs. The guy told me 2005, and the pic said something different, and turns out he had two different ones.

So, is it just a straight swap over, or still doing some work and other things to make it fit?

Thanks for the links too.

Leaf springs = straight swap

If it IS an '05 and up axle = you need to convert your setup to radius arms/links and coils. To do this you need some of the bracketry off an '05 and up truck such as the coil bucket, radius arm mount, etc....

juniort444e

Reaction score
thanks Jason. I thought so.

Now lets just say, i bought a 2005 and up coil sprung axle. Could i cut the perch off, and weld a leaf perch on and then swap. Or is there more to it that i dont know about.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
thanks Jason. I thought so.

Now lets just say, i bought a 2005 and up coil sprung axle. Could i cut the perch off, and weld a leaf perch on and then swap. Or is there more to it that i dont know about.

No - don't even try to cut the stuff off of a 2005 axle.... the driver's side link mount is one nice big cast piece that is part of the pumpkin.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Oh, sweet. Good to know. Im going to post these pics up and see what you think about it. Make sure its not a newer one either, i dont think it is, but never now.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Here are his pics.

Attachments

• 1330637084861.jpg
    1330637084861.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1330637091303.jpg
    1330637091303.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 1330637081308.jpg
    1330637081308.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 57
  • 1330637087649.jpg
    1330637087649.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 1330637093454.jpg
    1330637093454.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 59

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That's definately not an '05 and up axle.

Best picture I knew where to find quickly of an '05 and up axle:

DSC06511.jpg

See what the brackets and castings look like for the arm mounts?

juniort444e

Reaction score
Yup, that really clears up the confusion in my head. Thanks.

How nice is the PSC steering assit. I know you havnt driven your dmax yet, but i want to do that setup with the dana 60

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yup, that really clears up the confusion in my head. Thanks.

How nice is the PSC steering assit. I know you havnt driven your dmax yet, but i want to do that setup with the dana 60

Little spendy, but I didn't want to fight too much with the steering box that was built for an IFS front end - the parts are all super clean - nice billet reservoir for the factory pump, I also got a sector shaft support for the gearbox so I'm not ripping out sector shafts turning these 35x13.50s. I need to take some pics of the stuff I've got.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Quick question. When my dana is fully built and put on my truck I am selling the dana 50. Say if someone buys it that has an OBS, what would they have to do to be able to make it work with the same bolt pattern.

I for some reason think that you can change the wheel stud plate thingy to the old bolt pattern. Someone please correct me if im wrong. Or let me know what a person has to do to make it work.