Normal running temperature?

Number21

Reaction score
Finally got my cooling system flushed out and new thermostat installed on my 04 6L. Scangauge shows it staying pretty constant at 186 degrees ECT after it's warm on the highway. I can get up to 190 or so if I run it really hard but that's it. (Oil is a bit warmer) This is a mostly stock engine and I don't tow.

I'm just curious, what is the normal operating temp for a 6.0? 186 seems kind of low to me. I just put in a 192 degree thermostat. I expected a few more degrees than that...especially when it's 80 degrees outside and I drive like I stole it.

Number21

Reaction score
Interesting, is there maybe a higher temp t-stat I could get? My oil is staying about 3-5 degrees warmer than the coolant, which is shocking based on the nasty chunky **** that came out of my radiator...

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
Interesting, is there maybe a higher temp t-stat I could get? My oil is staying about 3-5 degrees warmer than the coolant, which is shocking based on the nasty chunky **** that came out of my radiator...
Your temps look great now......maybe I missed it but do you have a coolant filter now? If not get one on there quick, I read on these sites that after a flush it's pretty well guaranteed the oil cooler will plug. I swapped out my coolant but didn't do a flush for that reason..that and my deltas were ok and I just replaced the old FG with new FG.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd keep driving it but it should be cycling over 190*F to show proper operation of the tstat.

Just cause the ECT is lower doesn't mean it's working.

teddy's6.0h

Reaction score
Speaking about normal running temps... I have my edge insight CTS telling me my coolant temps get as high as 208 but my oil temps are never more than 8 degrees higher. Is this normal? Should mention this happens on 100*F days.

Latest posts

Members online