Oil Change and Fuel Filter Observations

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I did the full gambit on my truck today and noticed a few things. First, the fuel filters, the top was a breeze with a rag under the connections for drips. Secondly, I remember reading to do at least three complete turns before draining via the valve. I let it drain for a few and let it keep draining as I removed it. I cycled the key on letting the fuel pump run for about 30 seconds several times. It stated like it never was touched! I can't believe how easy and clean of a job it actually was. Makes the 6.0 change looks silly.

As for the oil change, the truck was cold and everything went smooth. I have done three now on this one and one on my old '11. Every time I get a fair amount of oil running down the new filter. Today it left a spot. I wiped the filter down and snugged it down hot. It's already down to a thin little line and if like the other times will eventually stop. Has anyone else seen this?

Chris

Lasvegas67

Reaction score
Not questioning your ability, but did you check for a double gasket? That will cause seepage. Also, I always clean the surface mating area on the truck where the filter mounts. Last, there is always the possibility you got a bad/warped gasket. If all else fails, kick it. That always seems to work when my wife wants me to stop leaking.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
After a couple heat cycles it cleared up. It seems as if some of the oil draining out got in the outer groove of the filter and dribbles out. It has been clear since wiping it off later that evening. I always check for the old gasket, watched that happen before at a shop!

cappa

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing on my 15. 3 oil changes so far, two done at the dealer and 1 by myself. Every time it has had some seepage right off the bat then seemed to seal up and stop. The time i did it myself it was pretty minor but i took my time and made sure the surface was clean as well as put a thin finger wipe of oil on the new seal.

Last edited:

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Another oil change and more oil slobbering out. Next time I am going to try to wipe the filter base as dry as possible and install a dry filter and see what happens. I have this filter as tight as safely possible. I tried snugging it with a wrench when I got home today and there wasn't anything more to gain. Such a strange thing. And I'm using motorcraft filters so there shouldn't be anything there.

cappa

Reaction score
Are you positive you didn't get any oil on the ring that is outside the oring on the filter. I have had the same thing happen but I'm pretty sure I got a bunch outside on that lip and it sobered out for quite a while before it stayed clean

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I was just thinking that. I waited quite a while before putting the new filter in, but it kept drizzling out. Not too worried, just hate seeing oil spots. Next time I'm going to give the whole area a quick spray with cleaner to flush it out.

NEVRNF

Reaction score
Mine did the same drip. I sprayed the top of the filter with brake kleen to wash out the oil collected on the outside ring. NO drips.

Latest posts

Members online