Oil filter adapter/oil cooler leak

Chris2590

Reaction score
I have a 97 F-250 7.3l and last winter I decided to change the oil cooler o rings because they were leaking. Now the oil cooler o rings are good and don't leak anymore but I have an annoying oil leak coming from what looks like the oil filter adapter where it attached to the block. I have tried changing that gasket 2 or three times now with no luck. It's really not that bad but I hate leaks! It got a little worse when I added some hot shots secret with my last oil change. I think it thinned the oil out a little bit. It just drips down the oil filter. Maybe I have a crack in the housing or its warped? Any help or ideas woiluld be awesome. Is there any way of thickening the oil back up? I really don't want to use any sort of stop leak.
Thanks.

79jasper

Reaction score
Try getting a inspection mirror up there.
Like I said yesterday, I'm going with a warped gasket surface.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chris2590

Reaction score
Honestly I can't remember. I think the first one came in the kit with the oil cooler o rings. Then I tried a second and maybe a third with still no luck. Your probably right 79jasper. I remember even trying the correct torque spec with a torque wrench and it still leaked and I tightened even more. Maybe I'll try adding some Lucas oil stabilizer for now. I'm not at the point yet that I want to take it all off again.
Thanks

Maybe I overtightened it from the get go when I first did my oil cooler and now I'm left with the consequences -.-

Bugman

Reaction score
I hate to say the word because of the mess that it usually makes if you have to redo it but if the gasket won't seal it then you can try some RTV sealant or even the gray RTV that they use on the 7.3's oil pans. You will just need to make sure that it is dry and that no oil is present on sither surface when you put the RTV one

Chris2590

Reaction score
Yeah I should of used a torque wrench in the first place. I'll probably just deal with until it starts leaking really bad and order a new housing and gasket. I just did an oil change not too long ago and just put fresh coolant in it. This time I'll definitely use a torque wrench. I do have a tendency to overtighten bolts -.-
I am a fan of rtv. 79jasper knows that lol. It is pretty messy stuff though.
Thanks for all the help

Chris2590

Reaction score
Oh and if you haven't tried hot shots secret in the oil I recommend it. My truck used to chug quite a bit when I would start it especially in cold weather. I added the recommended amount with an oil change and I can tell a difference. No more chugging and it seems to run a lot better in general. It is pretty pricey stuff. I payed like $50 for a jug of it. They didn't have a smaller bottle or I would of bought that because I still have quite a bit left. I haven't done any fuel mileage testing or anything. Seems like good stuff though. But like I said it obviously thinned my oil a little bit because it made my oil leak worse. You can tell it works because my oil is already getting dirty and I don't even have a lot of miles on the truck since my last oil change.

Latest posts

Members online