Oil Leaks Galore!

sniper_101

Reaction score
We're having a bit of cold spell for the last week. On Friday I ran the truck for a couple hours, stop at a friend's. Go to leave and notice a puddle under the back of the pan. Fearing a rear main I roll it inside to look, and then suspect the EBPV plunger on the pedestal. Tow it home the next day. Start the truck to unload from the trailer, park in the shop, and notice a new puddle at the front of the engine: front seal of the oil cooler leaking. Pulled the turbo today, started on the cooler and notice oil seeping from the oil filter gasket and also a wee-tiny bit from under the front of the crank/front cover... thoughts? Coincidence? (the ebpv was an issue I put off before, so this wasn't a surprise, but it let go in a hell of a hurry).

Also, when the turbo was pulled, I noticed oil residue on the turbine side, which I thought odd considering I rebuilt the turbo just last year... well...

Pass side collector/up pipe & DP:
95206-1_zps022c8aff.jpg

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
That would be the optimistic/easy problem... I know there wasn't any oil in the exhaust side when I rebuilt the turbo last fall. ICP still holds 2800-3000psi @ 43% IPR though (160/stock).

Looks like a compression test is the next step I guess (and to clean out that filthy engine valley).

sniper_101

Reaction score
Any more opinions or thoughts to what may be going on?

Also a couple pics of the small drips at the front of the LPOP:
95409-1_zps6936b2ba.jpg

95408-1_zpsa86cd0f4.jpg

(ignore the wet spot on the pass. side of pan, I just sprayed some degreaser around the oil-level-adapter/side of pan).

TyCorr

Reaction score
That doesnt mean anything. If you have a hp oil leak that sprays it'll run down the front cover.

Mileage
Oil used
Last time.any seals were replaced

I hate to tell ya, mu truck was leakfree until 225k. Trans cooler started leaking first. Now it bleeds. I replaced all my seals.and still have leaks :doh:

Last edited:

sniper_101

Reaction score
That doesnt mean anything. If you have a hp oil leak that sprays it'll run down the front cover.

Mileage
Oil used
Last time.any seals were replaced

I hate to tell ya, mu truck was leakfree until 225k. Trans cooler started leaking first. Now it bleeds. I replaced all my seals.and still have leaks :doh:

No HPO leaks on this truck (yet).

I'm more-less wondering if I can expect the front seal to give, aka, replace the LPOP with a Melling while I'm under there; or if I should just clean it up and keep an eye on it type thing...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Are you sure thats the only place the front oil leak is.coming from? If the.valley has oil in it too then you have got more leaks than that.

sniper_101

Reaction score
It's from the front seal. The oil in the valley is from the EBPV rod/actuator and it drained out the back valley drain-hole, and the oil cooler just started and it was straight down onto the engine x-member.

What I'm mainly asking/concerned with now is:
- after a front seal leak, is a LPOP replacement far behind?
- oil in the exhaust, but no fuel in coolant or oil in fuel bowl... still possibly injector O-ring(s) or by chance cup(s)?
- any chance all these sudden oil leaks are related to an internal issue, or just the cold highlighting previous minor leaks?

Anyone have some thoughts?

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Your lpop doesnt have to be wearing out. How many miles you have on your truck/motor?

My lpo pump was still working apparently fine at 250k. I put the melling in for the heck of it. Mine was not leaking either. You cohld buy the wear sleeve/seal for 3.00 and keep trucking.

As for the oil in your upipes could you have valveseals that are shot?

Sorry im not more help. Im limited to what ive experienced. In my experience oil first gets into the coolant through the oil cooler. Just an fyi.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh and my ebpv leak didnt really put oil in the valley. It blew it back all over the trans and straight down the side via the drain(as you said) but the valley was clean/dry.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Your lpop doesnt have to be wearing out. How many miles you have on your truck/motor?

My lpo pump was still working apparently fine at 250k. I put the melling in for the heck of it. Mine was not leaking either. You cohld buy the wear sleeve/seal for 3.00 and keep trucking.

As for the oil in your upipes could you have valveseals that are shot?

Sorry im not more help. Im limited to what ive experienced. In my experience oil first gets into the coolant through the oil cooler. Just an fyi.

225k miles. If I end up pulling the balancer to do the seal, I'd do a Melling just for the added pressure/volume for future upgrades. It's only like 90$ and probably the easiest LPOP to change on anything made, lol.

Put in my new non-ebpv pedestal, and rebuilt oil cooler and the leaks seem to have stopped for now. The oil in exhaust and front seal are still on my mind though...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, the melling is a breeze to do if your balancer isnt all.rusted to heck.

I ruined mine removing it. It was rusted to the point where all the holes for.the puller were rusted out. I drilled it and tapped it got different bolts and tossed it when it came off. I replaced mine.

Im not sure if the.picture shows them or not but I had to put washers behind the jack nut to push the balancer back on.
20130802_091924_zpsjqujawdl.jpg

Latest posts

Members online