oil leaks

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone else having some issues with small oil leaks?

I had a leak a few weeks ago, I figured it was coming from up top and that I had screwed up the gasket for the turbo, which I did look like that was a possibility. It looked like it was coming from the pedestal/block surface and not any higher. Replaced the gasket and it seemed ok but now it appears I have a leak again. I have heard that the rear main is somewhat common to leak. Anyone else have anything they have seen?

Thanks,

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Concerning ccv. One will not have better performance than that of the factory setup. It's a vacuum. Extremely large engines use a huge vacuum pump to scavenge the oil vapors from the block simply for the sake of removing gasses trapped in the crankcase that nominal pressure wouldn't be able to properly push out. The added benifit is no oil leaks.

However. That may not be the ops concern/problem. Just throwing it out there.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I havent seen any rear mains leak yet. However the fittings on the turbo leak quite often, both the coolant and the oil ones. We replace the tubes when we replace the fittings. Ive seeen the gasket from the turbo to tbe pedestal leak as well. I dont know if your turbo has any of those, as ive never seen one installed on a truck or really looked at them real hard except nstalled pics which aint too detailed. I have also seen oil pans.

I think the biggest pita is getting any residual oil out of the sealed bell housing. That could be all it is as well.

Ghost

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2016 (300 miles) and the thing stinks like buring oil when the defrost is on at idle. Had it at the dealer twice now and they keep saying they can not find the leak. Really sucks because I have ******* tuner ready to install but hate to tune a sick truck. might be easier to find the leak with EGR off.

Reaction score
Concerning ccv. One will not have better performance than that of the factory setup. It's a vacuum.

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement to a certain extent. The 6.7 does not require a vacuum to keep crankcase pressures in check.

There is a huge difference between engines that have a vacuum pump and ones that simply vent to the intake in a diesel application (gas engines are a different animal).

It's easy to see my point when you look at how the system works. In order for the engine to pull a significant amount of vacuum via the intake, there must be a restriction of some sort. The only place for there to be a viable restriction is the intake filter itself. Because there is a small amount of restriction caused by a filter, you will naturally get a very small amount of vacuum but it's negligible at most. The only way to get enough vacuum from the intake system to show performance advantages would be to run a more restrictive filter which would net more power loss than running little to no vacuum at all.

Hope that helps!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this statement to a certain extent. The 6.7 does not require a vacuum to keep crankcase pressures in check.

There is a huge difference between engines that have a vacuum pump and ones that simply vent to the intake in a diesel application (gas engines are a different animal).

It's easy to see my point when you look at how the system works. In order for the engine to pull a significant amount of vacuum via the intake, there must be a restriction of some sort. The only place for there to be a viable restriction is the intake filter itself. Because there is a small amount of restriction caused by a filter, you will naturally get a very small amount of vacuum but it's negligible at most. The only way to get enough vacuum from the intake system to show performance advantages would be to run a more restrictive filter which would net more power loss than running little to no vacuum at all.

Hope that helps!

My post was rather vague. I agree with you. The small portion I added was "the added benifit" a negative crankcase pressure reduces many oil leaks around non-pressurized sealing areas.

Truthfully I'm not sure whether our 6.7L crankcase is +/- during running condition. I can only assume it's negative being it has a "draw" I'm not debating the issue. On large HP engine (8,000+) they run a very slight negative pressure via vacuum pump. (Big enough to blow up a child's giant bouncy house).

This was heavily discussed awhile back when folks were adding venture tubes in the exhaust stream to scavenge crank case gases. However without rhe use of a manometer nobody truthfully knew what was going on! I'm not against a CCV aftermarket mod, just feel from an engineering standpoint the factory system netted the best results. "Feel" but no real data to say otherwise.

Do you guys have any data?

*** I wanted to add, that a manometer was truly the only way to test results from air filtration systems as well.. aftermarket or stock or whatever. However the dyno was used instead. With results nontheless... and not that it matters either. I was hoping for a simple vacuum test between the filter and turbo for TRUE data. In an industry where an air filter change requires $6,000 worth of filters, a highly calibrated transmitter measuring vacuum is used to test performance. I don't see why we couldn't use the same method for testing besides a yellow plastic indicator!

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
there is always some sort of vacuum/scavenge affect in the tube that s turbo draws air from. the closer you get to the compressor wheel, the greater the pull.... that can be proven with a simple air filter minder and moving it closer and closer to the wheel..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Reaction score
I have a brand new 2016 (300 miles) and the thing stinks like buring oil when the defrost is on at idle. Had it at the dealer twice now and they keep saying they can not find the leak. Really sucks because I have ******* tuner ready to install but hate to tune a sick truck. might be easier to find the leak with EGR off.

It'll go away. My 2016 did it on and off up until about 400-500 miles. Im at almost 1000 miles now and havent smelled it since then. I also had certain parts fall off my truck at 600 miles. Im sure it just has to do with various things burning off on the exhaust from being newly manufactured and gets draw in through the vents. If it still does it after 1000 miles, then Id have the dealer relook at it. But I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I havent seen any rear mains leak yet. However the fittings on the turbo leak quite often, both the coolant and the oil ones. We replace the tubes when we replace the fittings. Ive seeen the gasket from the turbo to tbe pedestal leak as well. I dont know if your turbo has any of those, as ive never seen one installed on a truck or really looked at them real hard except nstalled pics which aint too detailed. I have also seen oil pans.

I think the biggest pita is getting any residual oil out of the sealed bell housing. That could be all it is as well.

I was wondering about residual because it didn't appear to be coming from high up on the engine like before. It's been too cold to really see what's going on. I have washed it once and went to wash it again and it looked pretty good. I have been putting it off so I'm wondering if continuing with the cleaning if it won't slowly get better.

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Was under my truck at the shop yesterday dumping the oil and fuel filters ,greased the u joints and looked around ,noticed oil around the front of oil pan area on both sides looks like it's running down the side ,kinda where the front cover meets the block , looks to be coming outta that' area , only 30k 0n my 14 , been ******d since 8k

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Was under my truck at the shop yesterday dumping the oil and fuel filters ,greased the u joints and looked around ,noticed oil around the front of oil pan area on both sides looks like it's running down the side ,kinda where the front cover meets the block , looks to be coming outta that' area , only 30k 0n my 14 , been ******d since 8k

It may be the vacuum pump cover gasket. Ive seen a bunch of these leak, and itseems when they come apart that all athe bolts are loose. I dont know if there was a batch that got missed when they were building or sometjin, but ive done probably 15 or so that were leaking.

Pstroke14

Reaction score
Yeah I had a few work trucks with the vac pump cover leaks ,my cover is dry , I see my secondary water pump is wet around the housing , maybe I'll call my service guy at ford dealer get it in , we buy all our work trucks there so I'm planing on not putting the *** back on

Latest posts

Members online