Oil Pan Coatings

Atsah

Reaction score
That's cool. Right on par then. I charge 130-150 for a pickup, depending on cab size. And I'm mobile. I go out to the customer so that lets me do heavy equipment an stationary equipment as well.

If your mobile, your giving a great deal.. I'm going to do it every fall, the only bad part of this stuff is it drips for a couple of weeks and smells like throw up...LOL

Bair

Reaction score
Yeah it is a good deal. We don't charge anything for travel time. Consider it a part of building the business/customer service. Our product will drip for a day or two and they add a perfume to it so it actually smells good. Fluid film is a great product tho. Anything you can do to prevent rust is a win in my book.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Does fluid film make a mess? I picture a slimy underside with dirt all stuck to it. I have no experience with it.

Bair

Reaction score
Does fluid film make a mess? I picture a slimy underside with dirt all stuck to it. I have no experience with it.

I can't answer for fluid film, but I'll throw this in here. Pro Fleet Care's product doesn't attract dirt or make a buildup. One year I sprayed my pickup, then the next day took it out dads field lane. (He had just made hay so there was 2 inches of dust on the lane from tractor travel) I came back an checked underneath and there was only a slight haze of dust underneath. I was impressed. Mechanics love the stuff too. Makes vehicles so much easier to work on. And you can imagine how much of a pain it would be if the stuff made a messy buildup.

duddy

Reaction score
Can I by the product in a quantity to take care of a truck? I would like to try this instead of the diesel fuel and atf mixture that several guys are doing in this area.

Bair

Reaction score
I can get it in an aerosol can for you. Other than that we don't really retail the product. More focus on the service. If you want more info, send me a pm.

Atsah

Reaction score

It's really not that bad.. Anything that sticks to it will wash off of it with a garden house.. No high pressure though..

@duddy, you can buy Fluid Film in 5 gallon pales if you want..

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Powder coat will chip off if its hit, that's why it would start to rust again.

Scratches also allow for rust to start forming.

In both scenarios, no matter how good the prep is, its not going to help.

Same principle applies to trailers that are powdercoated.

Agreed with this guy. I lived in new york/philly weather for a few years. No matter what you do, or how you do it, it will rust. A scratch or a knick turns into cancer fast.

I would think buying a new oil pan and rhino-lining it would be a good start. Not sure how por-15 would last

Bair

Reaction score
Does the stuff you offer bair cause a slick surface. Thinking about it for trailers underside and steps of trailers ?

It's slick for a week or so. I wouldn't recommend it for steps or where people will walk. If you watch where you spray, you'd be fine. I spray pickups all the time and overspray on the step bars never causes a problem but I usually wipe them down after.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Powder coat will chip off if its hit, that's why it would start to rust again.

Scratches also allow for rust to start forming.

In both scenarios, no matter how good the prep is, its not going to help.

Same principle applies to trailers that are powdercoated.

Depends on what coating, and how thick.
A high quality Polyester TGIC coating applied at 10-12 mil thickness will have better scratch/chip resistance than any conventional wet paint.

I think I see where you're going with that though, as powder-coat can't be touched up on the vehicle.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Have had good luch ceramic coating some of the ones that I've done for a couple plow trucks. Just like powder coating though it's all about the prep work.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
What about the oily oil pans that are still rusted through? And not oily because they're rusted through. Proves that motor oil doesn't always inhibit rust IMO. Just an observation.

Those didn leak enough early in life. The oily oil pan on my 6.9 looks great haha

TyCorr

Reaction score
I kept degreasing and painting the stock one on my 00. It wasnt rusted out or leaking other than a weep from the dipstick adapter. O rings was shot!

I used duplicolr wax n grease remover, three coats of rustoleum pro semi.gloss.black paint. Then I used some sand paper to knock the shine down and hit it with silver engine enamel so I could see the silver if the next step wasnt covering completely. Lastly, I used duplicolor bedliner in an aerosol can. Two coats and it looks great. No heat issues, the bedliner can be hosed right off. Duplicolor says I can paint the stuff if I want. Spray paint will stick to it.

bluedge8

Reaction score
And, honestly, if you go through the trouble of changing out the pan on a 10-18 yr old truck, the new one will probably last the life of how long you have the truck if not the trucks life, then, add in any add'l protection and you'll never have to deal with it again.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I kept degreasing and painting the stock one on my 00. It wasnt rusted out or leaking other than a weep from the dipstick adapter. O rings was shot!

I used duplicolr wax n grease remover, three coats of rustoleum pro semi.gloss.black paint. Then I used some sand paper to knock the shine down and hit it with silver engine enamel so I could see the silver if the next step wasnt covering completely. Lastly, I used duplicolor bedliner in an aerosol can. Two coats and it looks great. No heat issues, the bedliner can be hosed right off. Duplicolor says I can paint the stuff if I want. Spray paint will stick to it.

Mine was rusted pretty bad, took a grinder and flap wheel to it, took off as much as I dared, then used grill paint to coat it. Worked good so far, but the part of the pan under the cross member is still untouched, for obvious reasons. When it starts leaking I'll pull the engine, and install the new oil pan and the water pump I have sitting in the garage, waiting. I'll be sanding the new one down and hit it with rustoleum, followed by bed liner.

Latest posts

Members online