Oil reaserch I have done.....

Reaction score
its kind of hard to evaluate with so many different engines involved. Any one of them could have had issues internally that could affect viscosity, hours V.S. miles shortness of trips, average operating oil temps etc. Its interesting but not totally definitive. personally 30w is acceptable for all but the heaviest towing in the most extreme heat, neither condition really pertains to me. Something that no one has ever addressed is whether at any point the shearing stabilizes or if it just continues to go down hour by hour. Many factors need to be considered in OCI, amount of dirt, fuel contamination, viscosity, degradtion of other additives. As far as choice of replacement fluid stiction is a major consideration for most of us, especially us Canucks in the great white north. Its interesting, but the only way to KNOW what is right for your truck/driving style is to sample your own oil.

Reaction score
its kind of hard to evaluate with so many different engines involved. Any one of them could have had issues internally that could affect viscosity, hours V.S. miles shortness of trips, average operating oil temps etc. Its interesting but not totally definitive. personally 30w is acceptable for all but the heaviest towing in the most extreme heat, neither condition really pertains to me. Something that no one has ever addressed is whether at any point the shearing stabilizes or if it just continues to go down hour by hour. Many factors need to be considered in OCI, amount of dirt, fuel contamination, viscosity, degradtion of other additives. As far as choice of replacement fluid stiction is a major consideration for most of us, especially us Canucks in the great white north. Its interesting, but the only way to KNOW what is right for your truck/driving style is to sample your own oil.

I agree, but most people will not sample their oil. So this is the next best thing for them to determine what is best for them.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I agree, but most people will not sample their oil. So this is the next best thing for them to determine what is best for them.

Don't get me wrong but your "report" is quite FAR from being the "next best thing" to determine what oil someone should use.

My recommendations is you take the next three weeks and read posts over on BOBISTHEOILGUY.com. THAT is one of the best resources for info and answers even if it leads to more questions.

Reaction score
without using the same engine under the same operating loads with the different oils the "test" has some pretty large vagueness in it. even then to really be thorough you would have to test in different climates. that would still only qualify the oil under that operating load. the result might not cross over to someone who ran his truck much easier or much harder. Myself I run something called "PetroCanada, Duron E synthetic, in a 5W40 spec) and it works just great for me and I can pick it up by the 5 gallon pail 5 minutes from the house. run it it everything but the motorcycles

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong but your "report" is quite FAR from being the "next best thing" to determine what oil someone should use.

My recommendations is you take the next three weeks and read posts over on BOBISTHEOILGUY.com. THAT is one of the best resources for info and answers even if it leads to more questions.

Some of this info has come from Bobs site. You will never prove one way or the other with 100% certainty that one oil is better then another. But in my experience, running Shaeffers has been the best for my customers, with zero complaints. But for others that opted to not run Shaeffers I use Delo 400LE and have great results with it also. This was for information only and hopefully get some other experiences also so that people could make a more educated choice when selecting an oil.

without using the same engine under the same operating loads with the different oils the "test" has some pretty large vagueness in it. even then to really be thorough you would have to test in different climates. that would still only qualify the oil under that operating load. the result might not cross over to someone who ran his truck much easier or much harder. Myself I run something called "PetroCanada, Duron E synthetic, in a 5W40 spec) and it works just great for me and I can pick it up by the 5 gallon pail 5 minutes from the house. run it it everything but the motorcycles

Availibilty sometimes is the biggest factor in choosing what oil to run. I have to deal with that on a regular basis with people that travel, that is one of the reasons that I run Delo 400LE, it is available at any Wal-Mart or truck stop.

I have heard of PetroCanada Duron oil and it has had good reviews. I could not find any UOA on it or any other oils other then what I presented, I wish there was more info out there that I could of found.

Last edited:

Powerstroke6.0girl

Reaction score

I say that with the demand for honest unbiased answers we all put it on the line: next oil change we post up our UOAs with the miles, oil ran and which, if any additive. The results should be telling. It only costs $25 from Blackstone to run one and then anyone who has a question about the performance of a specific oil should be able to see several results all in one place. Lets put our money where our mouths are.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Same here, only the Schaeffer's lasted 1,000 miles in my motor before I changed it out.

My injectors were already showing signs of sticking on cold morning, so that summer I decided to make the jump to synthetic, after some research Schaeffer's looked like a great choice. Well I put it in, and no more than 30seconds, with an already warm motor (oil temp gauge showed 100* with the new oil) I had lopey idle and lower power every time the motor got started cold. and this was with overnight temps only getting into the 70's. Once the oil got over 130* it smoothed right out. After 1,000 miles I changed it out for the valvoline 15w40 the truck had all its life with no change, eventually it got 6 new injectors, which were inevitable, but not till next winter.

I will say with the synthetic in the truck it was MUCH quieter at idle and sounded a touch smoother too, but at the higher cost, and the bad experience I had, for the next 80k I have continued with my valvoline 15w40 and have had no problems. Truck now has 180k on it with 2 original injectors, and 6 injectors with 90k on them, original turbo and one oil cooler changed at 113k

The Valvoline 15-40 is the worst oil I've run to date. Those problems you describe of the schaeffers are exactly what my truck did when I tried the Valvoline. Went back to 15-40 rotella and problems went away.

09stroker

Reaction score
What about shaeffers 9000 vs 7000? How does the difference in viscosity affect the injectors? Or does it not?

jd f350

Reaction score
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-405
The Blue Extreme oil’s cSt viscosity level (12.17) fell within Blackstone’s acceptable range but was still
below the 12.49 of a 40 weight oil. The real downfall was the rapidity within which the viscosity level
fell. The oil change interval was only 3700 miles. This indicates that the Blue Extreme oil is on par with
the Rotella T6; however, there is only one UOA worth of data as compared with the two or three UOAs
for the other oils discussed

Interesting... I have used Valvoline extreme 5w 40 synthetic for the past 90K. I send my samples in to Blackstone at 7500 and they always extend me 2k. I've been running 10K oil changes for about 4 years now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My 265k mile truck that still has usable stock injectors ran the first 240k miles in pennzoil 15w40 oil. I stopped using it to try out the synthetics. Aside from an 8k mile dabble with two.different renditions of thebsame stg II injectors my truck has run the same stock AD injectors for 255k miles.

I just took the oilpan off of this.very motor last week and its spotless, clean, and the cylinder walls are beautiful. The oil is important but keeping it changed wins everytime in my experience.

I see mileage drop in most vehicles, not.just diesel, after the 3k mile mark. Out of the three different full synthetic oils Ive ran(royal purple, mobil1 5w40 turbo diesel, and valvoline extreme blue 5w40) the mobil one degraded ever so slightly after 4k miles according to UOA. The rp was laughable for me and idled poorly as well as caused quirky starting issues with the heui system.

Schaeffers may be the best but as Ive said before mail order oil is hooey. Unless you're a farmer or shop owner having a oil salesman stop is impractical.

My money is on delo 400, motorcraft 15w-40, or anything besides rotella and change it at 3k miles. No issues.

If you want to get synthetic for cold start ease or whatever so be it.

What are the true benefits of running synthetic oil? Does one need supplemental filtration. I just dont really care to explore 10+k mile oil changes.

MossBack

Reaction score
One thing I would like to see is the oil filter used in the tests. I have run 3 different ones on my truck. The ford 1995 the wix equivalent and when I run AMSOIL I buy the AMSOIL engineered oil filter. I just feel that the filter can have a impact on the oil if it is a good quality one. I see a guy buy a Fram filter then some good synthetic and it just don't last.

And to add to my unbiased opinion I have ran delo 400, Mobil delvac 15/40. AMSOIL 15/40 with EaO99 filter.

And now I have ran 5/40 rotella T6 with ford filter for less then 500 miles. And yesterday I did notice aireated oil already but improved fuel economy and better idle.

I know i am a 7.3 owner (5years/100k miles) but I like the compiled info and have watched this thread. Thanks

Reaction score
The filter is going to effect the insolubles not the viscosity according to my understanding. As far as the tests that were posted they all had much less than blackstone's acceptable levels of fuel dilution and particulates. Neither of these factors effected the viscosity of the oil but I do agree that running a quality filter is important. If you are not running a quality filter then you could have premature hard part and oil failure. As far as additives go, if you are running an additive, it will change how the oil is sheared and the viscosity. Bob is the oil guy has an excellent article that explains this. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good thread the issues I have with it withstanding.

I also think that everything is a.factor when it.comes to.selecting oil. I buy oil ahead of time but if I neededto.service a truck and couldnt get my brand, if I didnt anticipate being able.to.get oil or find time to service it again Id use ANY oil.

For people who dont extend drain intervals, most anything will do.

PGreenSVT

Reaction score
I guess it is pretty easy to pick UOA Reports that will support whatever stand you want to take. I have seen UOA's with Rotella T6 that are a heck of a lot better than you posted and the same can be said for just about every UOA you chose. I tried Schaeffer 9000 in my truck for a couple of cycles and it didn't like it. My truck performs much more smoothly on 5w40 Amsoil or even Rotella T6. I'm not buying into this one at all. Sorry Scott. If you are replacing more injectors in trucks that have run Rotella oil I am sure it is the Rotella T and not the T6.

Reaction score
Wow, really? If you can prove what you are saying then post up. If you look the tests look to me like Amsoil is probably the best choice not Schaeffer's but i like scheaffers so that is what I run and put in all my customers trucks. Those were the reports that I could find not just what I wanted you to see. I guess it comes down to, I don't care what oil you run, just be careful of how long you run it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Karls03 on here runs the T5 Rotella and has UOA to back up everything he has, if I'm not mistaken they keep telling him to run his oil longer. I think he's already at like 8k mile oil changes.

Reaction score
Karls03 on here runs the T5 Rotella and has UOA to back up everything he has, if I'm not mistaken they keep telling him to run his oil longer. I think he's already at like 8k mile oil changes.

That is good, if it works for him then great. I only posted this for info and in the hopes of getting more. Not to convince anyone to run another oil. The more info we can gather then the better informed people can be when choosing an oil.

Latest posts

Members online