Ok **** this truck

DHFF

Reaction score
Back of drivers side head to passanger side firewall right above your heater box.
Right under passanger door from body to frame
There is a couple more too

Holy crap this one is undone!!!!!!!!!!! How did I forget about that!?!?!?! I saw it the other day when we straight piped it and just forgot about it. Could that really cause all this?

04stroker

Reaction score
Holy crap this one is undone!!!!!!!!!!! How did I forget about that!?!?!?! I saw it the other day when we straight piped it and just forgot about it. Could that really cause all this?

Not gonna say it is or isn't causing your issues but a bad or no ground it certain spots can cause a lot of very strange issues.

DHFF

Reaction score
Ok. Should I just replace the MAP sensor if all the grounds are good for now?

DHFF

Reaction score
ALSO when it does build a little boost now when I let out of it, and it does that turbo fart sound its WAY louder now. Sounds as though theres a lot more air being chucked back into the intake tube and at way lower boost than normal.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Been running great for about 500 miles after total rebuild with only a P006a code until today. Driving normal up to a light and take off and it struggles to build boost up to 15psi and EGTs skyrocket to 1200 out of no where. I let out of it because i see that and notice its not building enough speed to shift. It finally shifts but i have to feather the pedal to get up to speed. Anything over 1/4 throttle makes egts soar. Wtf?!?!? It only has an FICM tune on it and its ran fin till this evening. It almost sounds like its struggling to get air and feels horribly sluggish. Other than that it idles fine without issue.

Codes are

P006a - Some 2003-2004 F-Super Duty and Excursion vehicles equipped with the 6.0L engine built on or before 9/29/2003 may experience a P006A or P132B Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with a lack of power condition, surge, or turbocharger flutter after performing Field Service Action (FSA) 06E17, or after recalibrating the vehicle with the inferred Exhaust Pressure (EP) strategy.

The P006a is used to say that while trying to infer ep, the map and maf didn't correlate. p132b is used to say that the turbo didn't produce the estimated changes in map and maf while being run through it cycle. They both can be caused by aftermarket equipment. Hope that helps

P0102 - This might help in stating to diag it. hope you have a multi meter. there is more to the pin point test.let me know if that helps to get started

Possible causes:
restricted air flow
MAF sensor disconnected
VPWR circuit open to MAF
PWR GND circuit open to MAF
MAF RTN signal open
MAF signal shorted to ground
mechanical failure
MAF sensor
PCM
Inspect air intake for restrictions
Key off.
Disconnect the MAF sensor harness connector.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VPWR circuit pin 2, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.
Measure the voltage between the MAF sensor VREF circuit pin 4, harness side and MAF PWR GND pin 3, harness side.

Is the voltage greater than 10.5 volts between pins 2 and 3 and is the voltage approximately 5.5 to 6.5 volts between pins 4 and 3

Read more here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/998850-keep-getting-p0102-code.html

P0275 - cylinder #5 contribution/balance fault

P0500 - VSS (vehicle speed sensor) you can check the sensor on the rear diff with an ohm meter, should be between 800 and 1800 ohms. Though I have found a few threads that correlated this to a PCM problem... may want to check the plugs there, seems like you have a bunch of odd electrical problems that all of a sudden popped up (loose connector on the PCM maybe?)

P0683 - GPCM (glow plug control module) I have the test specs for this, I'll email them to you.

P1000 - testing not complete or some other crap, it's an nonsense code that means nothing and will go away. It's only there from not doing a "complete test" as the software thinks you should be doing. Ignore this one.

P1378 - not enough voltage to the FICM.
Could be this:

Various Electronic and Driveability Symptoms and Codes:
2005 F-Super Duty trucks built before 5-11-05 may exhibit various electronic-related symptoms due to loose/miss-installed fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. These symptoms may be intermittent. The fuses should be inspected to verify they are installed into the terminals in the fuse box and not along side the terminals.
Fuses--Symptoms
#9, 20 amp: Trailer turn signals inoperative
#10, 10 amp: Check Engine Light; Codes P1633, P0446
#11, 10 amp: Speedo bounce, ABS light, Cruise control inop; Codes U1900, U2023, P0500-P0503
#12, 2 amp: Cruise control inop, TBC Fault displayed, chime; Code C2803
#13, 15 amp: Day time running lamps inop
#15, 15 amp: Crank/no start, bucking, stall; Codes P2614, P2617, P1378
#17, 10 amp: A/C inop or not cooling
#18, 10 amp: Crank/no start, bucking, stall; P2614, P2617, P1378, P0611
#20, 10 amp: Trailer back up lamp inop
TSB 05-11-14

Looks like #15 and #18 might be possible suspects.

P1378 is a low voltage supply to the FICM. If that helps anything...

A buddy of mine from when I used to be on dieselbombers had something similar: http://www.dieselbombers.com/6-0l-performance/52005-ficm-code-wont-start.html

Holy crap from 1 code to this in 10 minutes!?!?!? I just spent 13k on this thing and its not going back to the dealer. Any ideas? There isnt a boost leak because i got it up to 20 psi at one point coming home but it was a long stressful drive.....

Start there.

If you want, I will ship you all of my AE stuff to help diagnose. :morons:

DHFF

Reaction score
Just bought a copy of auto enginuity with the ford bundle. Guess I should already have it with this damn truck.

DHFF

Reaction score
Ok now when i give it decent throttle it makes a squealing sound...... Turbo?

Seems to spin freely with no shaft play though....

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
He pulled the intake off and found the MAF soaked in water. Removed it and it is filled with water. Put a new MAF on and no problems now, runs great! Crisis averted...hopefully

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
It's not really a "procedure" like follow steps 1-5, you need to monitor a bunch of pids and meet some conditions so the VGT Learn pid switches to 'yes', after meeting 5-6 entry criteria.

I will post it up here a bit later, feeling a little under the weather at the moment to look on the shop manual.

DHFF

Reaction score
He pulled the intake off and found the MAF soaked in water. Removed it and it is filled with water. Put a new MAF on and no problems now, runs great! Crisis averted...hopefully

Yeah that was NOT what I was expecting when I started pulling it all apart. The intake sat in the bed of the truck outside for a few months at the dealer and got rained on so I assume thats how it got wet. That would also explain all the grounding codes it was throwing. Oh well thanks for everyones help!!!

Mdub707

Reaction score
So glad this was an easy fix for you.... now to just get that rocker box oil leak fixed and it should be good to go... we hope!

Latest posts

Members online