On-board air/airbags

nickg3130

Reaction score
Does anyone have a single compressor running to their rear airbags as well as a remote air tank? I am looking into doing something like this but i am not sure if i should use a single compressor, or just go with 2 separate compressors to make things a little easier. Any input would be appreciated.

farm boy

Reaction score
I run one Viair compressor with a 3 gallon air tank. Solenoid valves for filling and dumping the bags, and a 90/120 psi Pressure switch for keeping the tank topped off. All in cab controlled. An in cab dual needle air pressure gauge that shows the tank pressure, and the air bag pressure.

I don't see the need for two compressors just for rear helper air bags. My 3 gallon air tank is plenty for filling the bags.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I had a single visit 480c and a tank for my bags. Added dual 450c compressors as well, but only because mine is a 10 gallon tank and I run air tools ans fill tires with mine. A small tank and single compressor would be plenty.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my bionic

nickg3130

Reaction score
I probably should've been more specific. What I have now is the Firestone ride-rite kit with a single compressor that runs straight to an equalizer t valve and to each of the bags. I have a single switch that I mounted in my center console that allows me to inflate/deflate the pressure in the bags. What I'm looking to do is run a tank from my existing compressor so that I can use it for filling tires/air tools or whatever else. I am just not sure if it is possible with the set up I have as of now. I may have to switch things around a bit.

What I'm asking is how to plumb the system from my existing set up. Or if it's even possible.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
You will probably want a bigger compressor for that. A T from the compressor to the tank and the bags would work with some one-way check valves. I can't see if being too much more plumbing at all to make it work.

Garrett

nickg3130

Reaction score
You will probably want a bigger compressor for that. A T from the compressor to the tank and the bags would work with some one-way check valves. I can't see if being too much more plumbing at all to make it work.

Garrett

That's what I was planning on doing. I got the heavy duty compressor from Firestone but maybe ill pick a bigger one up soon.

I would have to fill the air tank up from my switch in the cab right? Or is there another way to fill up the tank without using the switch manually like using a pressure switch of sorts. Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

farm boy

Reaction score
You could use a pressure switch. Then the tank will always be full.

Garrett

^^^ what he said

My pressure switch turns on my compressor when the tank gets below 90 psi, and cuts it off when the tank gets to 120 psi. Get a pressure switch with a built in heavy duty relay.

If your wanting to use air tools and air up tires, your gonna need a 5 to 7 gallon air tank, and add another compressor.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Also, if you leave it plumbed the way it is and just T off it to the tank you will need a solenoid between the compressor and airbags so that they don't get aired up when the tank does.

Garrett

nickg3130

Reaction score
Also, if you leave it plumbed the way it is and just T off it to the tank you will need a solenoid between the compressor and airbags so that they don't get aired up when the tank does.

Garrett

You know of anyone who would sell something like that?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Amazon. Ebay. Any place that sells air stuff. I'm sure it could be wired to your existing controller that way it opens when you try to fill the bags.

Garrett

nickg3130

Reaction score

Thanks a lot. If you can get a diagram of how you plumbed it that would be sweet. I really appreciate the help.

farm boy

Reaction score
This is a quick sketch of how you can hook it up. I might have missed something. Don't hold it against me.

~Good Luck :thumbsup:

Attachments

• AIR BAG SETUP.pdf
    70.2 KB · Views: 60

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.