parralel

tbsimmons

Reaction score
When the 08's came out I kept hearing twin turbo, etc. Well from drag racing I know what a twin turbo looks like. I did make one mistake, I argued with the salesman because he said it was a twin turbo and I could not find two, I just glanced, plus crawled under and saw one down pipe.
I think the idea of twins would be cool for drag racing or sled pulling. From reading everyone that has done singles, etc. has a a lot of lag and a more smoke. I cant even think of that living in CA. I dont know that much about Turbos, been a Nitrous guy myself, or should say a small Nitrous guy.
I think a compromise would have to be made, low end or top end. I am not going to take that chance because I need all the low end I can get towing plus I like that the compounds give the best of both worlds.
Would be cool though. Hell keep everything stock looking under the hood minus the turbos. Mount the turbos under the truck somewhere, like each side about the location of the muffler and move the tank to behind the axle like the cab and chassis trucks. Run the pipe back up under the truck and into the stock location intercooler.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
There is no denying the versitility of a set of twins. But shouldn't a properly sized set of parralel's prove to be equal in performance with a slightly lower cost, and elemiate the need to gate?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Hell keep everything stock looking under the hood minus the turbos. Mount the turbos under the truck somewhere, like each side about the location of the muffler and move the tank to behind the axle like the cab and chassis trucks. Run the pipe back up under the truck and into the stock location intercooler.

That location probably wouldn't offer the best performance. You would end up battling heat loss and lag more then anything.

I think if it was gonna be done, you'd be best to relocate the batteries, etc., and mount them in similar location's as Dustin's atmoshpere charger. Maybe even fab some custom manifolds... As well, you could go to a similar intake manifold as the Banks Rail. Twin manifold with 4 port runners. Plumb your water and nitrous into each runner. I mean the possibilities are as endless as somebodies budget

Could be cool to do. Not sure how practical it will be.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Why does everyone think that singles are so laggy, they arent. They are laggier than small compounds but not that bad

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I don't think lag would be an issue at all. With true twins as oppossed to a compound set up you could run a much tighter housing since you would be pushing half the exhaust through the turbine. It would be like running a single. All about sizing. I think every one likes compounds because they have done great on cummins. Yet when manufacturs have the option of running true twins or quads for that matter they do. Bugatti did it twice now. Veyron and EB110. SSC does as well.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Why does everyone think that singles are so laggy, they arent. They are laggier than small compounds but not that bad

Just by what you have posted and what the others that have singles.
For a DD that does not tow then I would not mind having one. But trying to get 28000# moving, I am sure the lag would really show up. I noticed a big difference between my tuned 6.0 to my stock 6.4. I know different engines but biggest thing I liked over my 6.0 was the lack of lag in the compounds.
I am sure tuning could play a major role.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
That location probably wouldn't offer the best performance. You would end up battling heat loss and lag more then anything.

I think if it was gonna be done, you'd be best to relocate the batteries, etc., and mount them in similar location's as Dustin's atmoshpere charger. Maybe even fab some custom manifolds... As well, you could go to a similar intake manifold as the Banks Rail. Twin manifold with 4 port runners. Plumb your water and nitrous into each runner. I mean the possibilities are as endless as somebodies budget

Could be cool to do. Not sure how practical it will be.

I am not saying it would be ideal for power, but it would be much easier with the piping in my eyes.

smoker00

Reaction score
I think if a person put something like HY35 or He351cw both have 9cm EX housings mite help spool up.. But I don't know if it would work or not.. Just thinking..

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Isn't there a OBS 7.3 running parallel turbos? It's a pulling truck I think. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures and videos on here of it. Black RC/LB.

BFT

Reaction score
i brought this up on the other site a while ago. the amount of work needed to run those plus a nice set of custom headers and finiding room (especially on the passenger side) would be a chore on its own.
now getting to light properly is another story

BFT

Reaction score
There are a lot of things to think about. Log style exhaust manifolds vs equal length headers. You have to support the weight of each turbo. Most likely a nice custom intake manifold. Most likely will need dual gates to tune the turbos... The list is long.

There is a lot of tuning involved and I'm sure it's not just a out of the box custom tune. I see this being a project for someone with deep pockets or that will hand out a blank check.

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I am not saying it would be ideal for power, but it would be much easier with the piping in my eyes.

Mounting the turbochargers out under the bed near the factory fuel tank could pose a few potential problems. Problems I think that would rear their ugly head right outta the gate. Things like heat loss, compromising velocity, etc., would all end up causing lag. As far as fabbing goes, you would have yards of pipe going every which direction. You'd have to figure out oil returns. Probably would need a pump and auxillary oil source since you'd loose the gravity feed return accustom with most twin kits under the hood. Intake filters would be a nightMARE. They'd pickup everybit of water and debri off the road. Winter time driving in snow conditions or rain would leave you second guessing your turbo location rather quickly. Just so many things that plauge the idea of under bed mounting that it would be more headaches trying to make it work then the rewards would be worth, IMO.

Parallel chargers would almost have to be done under the hood for the ultimate gains and the least of headaches. Like Beef Taint said, its gonna take somebody with deep pockets and motivation for it to be done right and still function properly. Again though, if they dont outperform whats availbale, other then saying its a one-of-a-kind setup, I just dont see the point....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.