Piston down. Need build advice.

Sledneck57

Reaction score
So I popped a piston in my truck. 08 cclb 230,000kms (140k miles). Im doing a build and looking for advice. Jordan at dirty diesel will be wrenching on it and im wanting a tow pig with about 600 reliable as **** hp. mods already done are egr delete, spartan, exhaust and intake. the main thing im unsure about is doing con rods or not? what pistons(thinking rudys)? what valve train components for best reliability and longevity? injectors? air and fuel? reliablility is key cause i dont want to do this again for a long time. the reason im building a truck with high mileage is cause i like it haha

ford_trck

Reaction score
Call River City, they will have all the components you are looking for. Rods,springs, pistons etc.

Kind

Reaction score
So I popped a piston in my truck. 08 cclb 230,000kms (140k miles). Im doing a build and looking for advice. Jordan at dirty diesel will be wrenching on it and im wanting a tow pig with about 600 reliable as **** hp. mods already done are egr delete, spartan, exhaust and intake. the main thing im unsure about is doing con rods or not? what pistons(thinking rudys)? what valve train components for best reliability and longevity? injectors? air and fuel? reliablility is key cause i dont want to do this again for a long time. the reason im building a truck with high mileage is cause i like it haha

It's about time!!

Motostroker

Reaction score
If your only doing 600 horse. Do stock valve train. Heavy duty valve springs are too much for the stock rockers. Put some push rods in it, stud it. And roll out. I would do tow powers on stock fuel, (maybe an airdog?) and as far as transmission goes. Your wallet will go as far as reliability is concerned. Triple disk, billet input, etc.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Oh and you do not need connecting rods, as far as I know. Craig, Rudy, shane and the other big dogs are still on stock rods. They are pushing there motors way more then 600hp

Wayne

Reaction score
It sounds like you've got a good guy doing the work. You don't need rods for 900 hp, let alone 600 though, so don't worry about that unless you just like to burn money or have hopes of some day hitting 1000. To keep it super reliable, and easily hit 600 for a towing monster, I'd suggest the following:

*Pistons: either stock with the bowl lip cut down or HD (IH maxx force) AKA Elite HD, Rudy's ultimate pistons etc. (only available in stock bore.) Do ceramic coating and total seal gapless rings on them as well.

*complete upgraded valvetrain including valve springs, push rods, and upgraded cam (elite stg 1 or equivalent- no valve relief required)

*head studs

*new oil cooler

*balanced rotating assy. (essentially the equivalent of the Elite stg 1 long block https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14060001/EDE-Long-Block/)

*turbos: Elite tow-power, or tow power plus. If it's in the budget, I'd say go for high powers as they'll make your truck run really cool on the EGT's.

*Stock size injectors, but consider Air Dog II if you have supply issues to the injection pump. Air Dog assist wouldn't hurt either.

*upgraded intercooler (no limit, spearco, precision, banks)

*IC pipes. I suggest no limit

*A trans and converter that can handle all of it (Elite stg 3, or equivalent)

*ported intake manifold

*plus all the other bells and whistles to make it work, most of which you already have

*Wastegate (may or may not be necessary depending on how hard you run it, but good peace of mind.

Wayne

Reaction score
Heavy duty valve springs are too much for the stock rockers.
Most of your info is good, but this little bit is false. Stock rockers can take quite a bit more than the average upgraded valve springs. It is a good idea though to thoroughly inspect the rocker arm assemblies as many of them don't last like they should due to poor oiling design. We didn't run into problems with rocker arms until we ran valve springs good to about 150 psi of boost and back pressure.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Oh ok, we'll I apologize about the info. It may just be my luck lately! I've been popping rockers left and right. But would it be a wise choice for sledneck to wait for empires roller rockers? Add that to the list and it would be a rock solid build, only downside is they are $$$

Sledneck57

Reaction score
It sounds like you've got a good guy doing the work. You don't need rods for 900 hp, let alone 600 though, so don't worry about that unless you just like to burn money or have hopes of some day hitting 1000. To keep it super reliable, and easily hit 600 for a towing monster, I'd suggest the following:

*Pistons: either stock with the bowl lip cut down or HD (IH maxx force) AKA Elite HD, Rudy's ultimate pistons etc. (only available in stock bore.) Do ceramic coating and total seal gapless rings on them as well.

*complete upgraded valvetrain including valve springs, push rods, and upgraded cam (elite stg 1 or equivalent- no valve relief required)

*head studs

*new oil cooler

*balanced rotating assy. (essentially the equivalent of the Elite stg 1 long block https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14060001/EDE-Long-Block/)

*turbos: Elite tow-power, or tow power plus. If it's in the budget, I'd say go for high powers as they'll make your truck run really cool on the EGT's.

*Stock size injectors, but consider Air Dog II if you have supply issues to the injection pump. Air Dog assist wouldn't hurt either.

*upgraded intercooler (no limit, spearco, precision, banks)

*IC pipes. I suggest no limit

*A trans and converter that can handle all of it (Elite stg 3, or equivalent)

*ported intake manifold

*plus all the other bells and whistles to make it work, most of which you already have

*Wastegate (may or may not be necessary depending on how hard you run it, but good peace of mind.

Sorry i have studs and ic pipes. I like the stuff that elite has I've just never had any luck getting ahold of them. I called the other day to talk about buying a bunch of these goodies and had no luck. thanks for the input Wayne.

Sledneck57

Reaction score
Oh ok, we'll I apologize about the info. It may just be my luck lately! I've been popping rockers left and right. But would it be a wise choice for sledneck to wait for empires roller rockers? Add that to the list and it would be a rock solid build, only downside is they are $$$

A little birdie told me about these and does anyone know about them or when they might be available. cost and so on.

Kind

Reaction score
Theres a really nice motor already built in the shop i was looking at.I was thinking of just dropping that one in..... theres even a few chargers i could bolt on to it just sitting there...

Might as well hey?? Lol

Sent from beside you

Red Ripper

Reaction score
I did more less what Wayne posted, but I did not do the ported intake and only put a 72 atmo in. my truck is an animal :evil and I have not seen over 1450* egt's but a W/G is needed in my opinion as ebp get's up there!

B585Ford

Reaction score
I did more less what Wayne posted, but I did not do the ported intake and only put a 72 atmo in. my truck is an animal :evil and I have not seen over 1450* egt's but a W/G is needed in my opinion as ebp get's up there!

How high of EBPs?

Red Ripper

Reaction score
I have ebp regulated to about 60-65psi that give me about 45psi on the boost side. I'm not sure how high it was the first time as I only have the mini maxx :shrug:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yes stock HP. I did not think I needed the HP but I'm sure at some point it will make its way in!!

Thatta boy!!! I did good for about 2 months after the last round of upgrades but then came the..."I think....would really help...."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.