Please help, dealer screwing with me big time

quadracer219

Reaction score
Alright guys I got in a bad situation last night. Went to look at a 08 350 dually. 137,000 miles. All stock. 20,000. Took it out on a small test drive. Didn't get above 50mph. Drove fine, built boost fine, shifted fine, started up fine even being cold sitting outside, no smoke on start up, no smoke when I floored. Put 2grand down and signed the papers. Didn't even make 5 miles from the dealer and the truck is billowing white smoke won't go over 60 mph and won't build boost. Truck says on dash, if I recall correctly, "cleaning exhaust filter". Is it possible that it went thru a regen cycle as soon as I got the truck? Now I Go back to the dealer and they won't take it back. They said we will keep the truck and have our mechanic look at it and see what we can work out. My dad and I leave the dealer and they call me no more than 10 min later saying they are in the truck and it is driving fine, building boost and no smoke. I'm pretty new to 6.4s so please help if you can. Coolant looked good, there was pressure behind the cap. Not excessive pressure either. Oil looked fine also. And in case your wondering they kept my down payment also. So now I'm out 2,000 dollars and no truck.

sootie

Reaction score
is this a ford dealer? if so-yell at corporate.

sound to me its a typical plugged dpf. if you're stuck with the truck, delete the dpf and egr asap and see if it is fine then.

lazlow

Reaction score
Sounds like it went into regen right away. Being at the dealer it probably only got short quick drives without warming up and needing to go into regen, but the test drives were too short to really clean the filter out. Take the truck back and put some miles on it and see what happens

quadracer219

Reaction score
No it's not a ford dealer. And I was planning on doin a dpf and egr delete this weekend. As of right now I do not have the truck. I'm waiting on them to call me back after their "mechanic" looks at it. Also they said it sat for 2 weeks

Crazysob

Reaction score
Just sounds like a regen bud. It will smoke for a min or two if it's cold out. And the truck limits boost during regen. Mine did the same thing.

quadracer219

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was thinkin regen myself but when I talked to the dealer yesterday evening they said the truck was driving fine and then it happened to them while driving it. Is it typical for a truck to go through a cpl regen cycles if it's been sitting on a empty, and I mean empty tank for 3 weeks in the cold?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was thinkin regen myself but when I talked to the dealer yesterday evening they said the truck was driving fine and then it happened to them while driving it. Is it typical for a truck to go through a cpl regen cycles if it's been sitting on a empty, and I mean empty tank for 3 weeks in the cold?

Yup possible if it was only test driven a few miles and shut off the dpf was probably full with soot.

The truck wouldn't meet the parameters for regen. So when you drove it the parameters were meet and the truck went into regen. I would get it back and delete asap.

halltrash

Reaction score
white smoke

don`t panic bought 08 6.4 in aug. after my creampuff 05 6.0 got destroyed by dumb #$%t passed in no passing zone stumbled upon clean 6.4 at ford dealer had them put on rack to look under it clean no leaks or oil got to it before it was detailed took home next day drove to the big city got on freeway looked in rear view mirror thought oh s#$@% blown head gascket nope regen do delite used gearboxz programer runs fine

powerstroke6.4

Reaction score
Man thats crazy when i bought mine it took 2500 miles before the first regen occurred. I thought it had issues but then it finally went into regen. Good luck with the third egt sensor. Before you round it out you can clip the wires to get a box end wrench on it. If your tuner requires the sensors to be plugged back in to complete the circuit then splice the wires back together. Just make sure if that is the case that you cut the wires in 2 different lengths so you know which wire connects to the other.

Dzlnut

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing after buying it, white smoke seems to be a norm during regen.

Crazysob

Reaction score
Mine does it for the first 2 min during regen till the exhaust gets to temp then there is nothing.

TD-5

Reaction score
:whs:, mine would boog, blow a big cloud of white smoke & then about 15 seconds later I would get the ding,ding,ding & "cleaning diesel filter" from the message centre. After the 1st 30-45 seconds or so, the smoke would clean up. MAN, I sure don't miss that BS.

quadracer219

Reaction score
thanks a lot guys, if it all pans out im gonna get the truck and delete the egr and do a full exhaust and a tune for sure. i just freaked out as soon as it all happened.

sootie

Reaction score
I've got a used original H&S XRT Pro race tuner that does deletes if you want...also a delete pipe. pm me if you are interested.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.