PMF 3-link (level only) review

jcain

Reaction score
Pre-story

After installing daystar 2.5" front coil spacers and a 5" replacement block, I absolutely hated the way the truck drove (it rode the same, lets not confuse the two characteristics). After researching my symptoms, some people insisted a dual steering stabilizer would solve my wandering issues, while other people simply inquired about my alignment outcome. When I divulged that information it was still a debatable topic as to why my truck was wandering around. Trevor from PMF added his two cents (in a professional manner I might add) and said to ring him if I had more questions.

While I wasn't happy that a $2-350 stabilizer might not fix the problem, I was more sad when I saw the price of the proposed 3 and 4-link systems that some suggested would fix my problem. Caster shims were an option at $99 but it looked awfully cheesy for an 8500lb truck. I started called vendors that dealt these systems and ended up back on the phone with PMF because the attitude and willingness to help me was far superior to any of the others.

Upon my product research, only people that went 4.5" or more lift used 4-links or 3-links and had really talked about these products. With a normal size garage door, I don't have, nor want, the luxury to go with a taller lift. I was a little unsure if I was making the right decision but I went ahead and trusted my better judgement and ordered the adjustable 3-link from Trevor at PMF.

Packaging of the product was ample and all parts arrived in-tact and on-time. The system seemed very beefy and well made, with attention to detail being spot on.

Install and outcome ___________________________

Installation was pretty straight forward with the supplied instructions. But, if you can put the truck on a lift with something SOLID in front of that lift bay, make sure you have a ratchet strap or come-along to help you drag the axle forward to line up the bolts. When I called PMF (late on a saturday too) my call was returned promptly and we discussed the above method of lining things up.

When I got the truck to an alignment rack I ended up with 4.62* and 4.61* of caster which meant that the thread cutting was dead on the joint buckles, I was impressed.

What impressed me the most though was how absolutely PERFECT the truck tracked in a straight line now. No matter what the terrain is, if the lanes are uneven from construction or just an old rutted 2 lane paved road the truck behaves even better than factory! The system is dead silent the steering of the truck is more solid than the day I took it home off the lot. The slop in the left/right of the wheel is gone and there is no longer the "skipping" feeling when you hit a bump in a curve.

I can honestly say, of all the mods I've done, this is by far the most felt improvement that even passengers can/will appreciate. With a better than factory driving experience, I no longer cringe when the wife needs to drive the truck and do whatever she needs to do.

Again, I'd like to thank Trevor at PMF for the outstanding customer service and the willingness to take the time to explain the different components of the truck and what the specific "upgrades" for that area will improve and or change, for better or worse.

IMAG0110.jpg

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Awesome review! Have you tried any 4x4 launches to see if the front end hops? I will be racing and want to make sure the 3 link will fix the hop completely or if I should just go 4 link

Twan

Reaction score
Why did you choice the 3 link vs 4 link. My truck does about the same as yours did. After 4 years if it I'm ready to fix that.

Glade to hear the 3 link helped out that much.

jcain

Reaction score
I never had the hop before the bars. I haven't tried a 4hi launch in a LONG time and i've changed wheels/tires/tunes since the last time. If the rain lets up later this week, I'll give it a try. With 3.31s and heavy 35s my truck doesn't quite leave the line like it used to. :-(

jcain

Reaction score
Why did you choice the 3 link vs 4 link. My truck does about the same as yours did. After 4 years if it I'm ready to fix that.

Glade to hear the 3 link helped out that much.

For a mostly DD truck, the inherent "bind" that the 3 link exerts in the corners does actually provide a sense of anti-sway characteristics. It's noticeably more stable and flat in corners, compared to the factory radius arms.

carcare

Reaction score
I like the look and the write up. You will definitely get the most caster with that type of setup which was pretty much your problem. The steering stabilizer wasn't the answer as u say and I agree. But 2.5 degree alignment cams are not cheap or cheasy. I have installed countless cams in the upper ball joints on straight axles for years. Although u can only get 2.5 -3 degrees out of these trucks it is a world away from the negative caster encountered when u level A truck. Just the same as 4.5 degrees feels much better than 3. But for the average joe w not a bunch of money to spend cams are $20-$25 a piece and if the installer knows what they are doing you will love ur truck again as I have because I speak from personal experience as we'll. I have a "13 250 leveled and blocked w bars and the special pipe. Lol. Great write up tho!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bricewise

Reaction score
Happen to know if going from 4-link to 3-link ala going to require me to get another alignment? Been thinking about taking this 4-link off and going to ALA's but no alignment joints within driving distance.

Crack85

Reaction score
Happen to know if going from 4-link to 3-link ala going to require me to get another alignment? Been thinking about taking this 4-link off and going to ALA's but no alignment joints within driving distance.

Almost positive you will need another alignment to get it set right.

NotStock

Reaction score
We have the lengths to set the arms at in the instructions. Its intended to be a base point to get you to an alignment shop to verify the desired castor was achieved. It is not intended to run long distances. You dont want to eat a set of $$$ tires just because you didnt take it to an alignment shop to make sure it all came out right.

carcare

Reaction score
You need an alignment. Caster has never and will never wear tires. It's physically impossible. However the slight change in toe is what will eat ur tires. Always good to check but u will be fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online