Ported heads.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Doesn't head porting already cost a few grand on a powerstroke from anyone reputable? I seem to remember hearing about pricing being in that range a few years back.

Reaction score
I haven't talked about it much because I don't like to brag, and it isn't in the truck yet but here is a little info on my Swamps ported engine I've been sitting on since late 2017......
It was built to be efficient, reliable, fun to drive and great to tow with including over 10,000 ft elevation.
It is pretty simple with ported heads, 160/30's, Adrenalin HPOP and SXE 364.5.
It was broken in and loaded on Swamps engine dyno, so crank HP and Torque.
I really don't have and idea how to convert to expected RWHP.
Peak torque is 1010 @ 1690 RPM. Over 900 ft lbs from 1280 to 2640. Over 800 ft lbs from 1100 to 3000 rpm. Glad I put Manley rods in it even though they arent "required"
Peak HP is 471 @ 3000 rpm. Over 400 hp from 2200 to 3400 rpm.

How much of this performance comes from head porting? I don't have a way to know. The missing Swamps Dyno Mule info we are discussing is the reason I did it. But I can't recall the gain they made on the dyno mule.

Reaction score
Yes, stock cam.
Over the years on gas engine builds I always overdid it then spent the next few months to years making things “smaller” so they would be fun and useful to drive. Heads, cams, carbs, torque converters. So I was very careful to err on the side of conservative.
Almost went with a S363.

Zeb

Reaction score
I haven't talked about it much because I don't like to brag, and it isn't in the truck yet but here is a little info on my Swamps ported engine I've been sitting on since late 2017......
It was built to be efficient, reliable, fun to drive and great to tow with including over 10,000 ft elevation.
Peak torque is 1010 @ 1690 RPM. Over 900 ft lbs from 1280 to 2640. Over 800 ft lbs from 1100 to 3000 rpm. Glad I put Manley rods in it even though they arent "required"

How much of this performance comes from head porting? I don't have a way to know. The missing Swamps Dyno Mule info we are discussing is the reason I did it. But I can't recall the gain they made on the dyno mule.

Typically expect around 15% drive train loss, so around 400/860 to the wheels.

Countrycar

Reaction score

Again, very impressive. I don't take it as bragging at all. I appreciate you posting up this info. I've got an 03 SC that is completely stock that I'm going to do the same basic build on, that your showing here. I hadn't thought about ported heads, but after these numbers I'm definitely going to get the heads done as well. I have a set of Ported Heads on my 99.5 F250, but I didn't do a before and after as they were done on a full build, with bigger injectors, cam, dual Hpops and sxe472. I had these heads built for me by Nate a few years ago..

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Seems to be a few more ported head guys out there than I thought. And with 400hp at the wheels, that's a good bit more than the 2.3hp per CC nominal rule that comes with the 7.3. At 400, thats right at 2.5hp per CC. Which means with a 238cc inj, you could make an extra 50hp which is exactly on par with what people are claiming.

Very interesting, if shops could bring down the cost a bit on it, I'd probably go for it too.

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
You need air and fuel to make power plain and simple, any time you can add more air and burn more fuel you make more power. I remember back in early 90's when turbochargers and superchargers were getting popular with the fox mustangs, many experts claimed ported heads and aftermarket heads do not help with boost. Fast forward to now we have 3000 hp small block and 5000 plus hp big blocks. Diesels are no different............air and fuel is needed to make power.

Last edited:

m j

Reaction score
I understand there is r and d but how much more expensive could they really be than aluminum 6.0 heads?

6.0 guys have head core that are junk. they are often in a situation where they have to buy new heads. that alone makes for a market.
7.3 guys have solid cores

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score

If you could keep egts cool this would be a beast towing. These number are better than 2016 6.7 and damn close to the 2020 6.7. Although with 6 less speeds. Would you possibly have a graph for this run?

Reaction score
Yes keeping it cool EGT and coolant temps will be key.
Don’t know if you recall Charles build, his tow beast had no egt or cooling issues but was able to make enough sustained power to burn down ZF6’s and the big F550 rearends. That was my concern as well, didn’t want to have to have a dual disc clutch or start creating new reliability issues.
I do have dyno charts just need to figure out how shrink them down. Postin images is not my favorite task.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I don't know his build. Does anyone have a link or know the quick specs? Did he throw a Dana 80 or 110 from a 550? I have to imagine blowing up a 110 would take some serious work.

Reaction score
Charles was a very prolific poster a few years back. He is very technical and tried a lot of ideas. His basic plan was to use an F550 and gooseneck to haul hay over the mountains and avoid buying a big rig. So he hauling big loads. I remember he is a proponent of 200% nozzles.

Countrycar

Reaction score
Charles was a very prolific poster a few years back. He is very technical and tried a lot of ideas. His basic plan was to use an F550 and gooseneck to haul hay over the mountains and avoid buying a big rig. So he hauling big loads. I remember he is a proponent of 200% nozzles.

Hey Garbage Mech, What part of the State are you in?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score

I'm curious too, it looks like we might be pretty close to each other

Reaction score
BMC it was a full F550 drivetrain. The ZF6 and the S110? didn't break they MELTED. His engine build would make the continuous HP and torque to pull the load but the drivetrain couldn’t get rid of the heat. How big is the drivetrain in a semi with a 450 hp engine? Very common to need a cooler on 10 speed and 18 speed gearboxes now.
I recall when big power first started to become available in big rigs. Guys were putting 600 hp KTA Cummins and 3408 Cat V8’s in trucks running over the Grapevine out of LA. Has to go to triple rear axles to keep diffs together.