ported intake manifold

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
anyone tried out a "Diesel Dr." machined/ported intake manifold yet? seems like the best bange for the buck from what i can gather... half the price of a Gogo and Elites intake...

ODAWG714

Reaction score
He knocks the posts down that's all from my underatanding, I've ran a intake similar to his and the gains are not worth the money. Your better off with a cut open ported and polished manifold with the runners made into velocity stacks. That's when you will feel the all around gains.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I wouldn't say half the flow for half the money. Half the money for sure, just wouldn't say half the flow.

I agree with oliver, though. You're much better off with a fully ported manifold. let me know if I can help with anything.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Depending on what options you get, it could cost upwards of $1k still... so 1/2 the money for the budget manifold yes, but not all of the options.

My understanding is the same, just the posts drilled out, some webbing still in there. I'm sure it's an improvement, just depends what you're looking to do. He doesn't have to weld on these either, so that's a benefit in some regard.

sootie

Reaction score
what you may find out is that your heads are a restriction. i know that on my 6.4, i could go with an intake manifold that flows a little less than others because my heads are stock and even the mildly ported one i bought flows more than my heads.

ODAWG714

Reaction score
what you may find out is that your heads are a restriction. i know that on my 6.4, i could go with an intake manifold that flows a little less than others because my heads are stock and even the mildly ported one i bought flows more than my heads.

I don't fall for that at all. My heads are stock and I felt a huge difference and my truck runs pretty damn clean for having 175/75 with a full fuel tune and a powermax. It's 100% clean after 50mph

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The diesel dr manifolds have orb bungs welded on them, and well the last two i saw were both warped so no thank you.

Reaction score
I don't fall for that at all. My heads are stock and I felt a huge difference and my truck runs pretty damn clean for having 175/75 with a full fuel tune and a powermax. It's 100% clean after 50mph

Have you done any flow testing. A stand milled intake will outflow un-ported heads all day long. In fact the RCD ones that only have the centers machined out will out flow stock heads.

Ones like we offer are a budget upgrade that will work for 90% of the heads out there. If you need the full blown ported intake then you have a lot of porting done to your heads.

I am not saying that the fully ported cut open intakes aren't better. They are better. But to say that that is the only intake that works is wrong.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
He knocks the posts down that's all from my underatanding, I've ran a intake similar to his and the gains are not worth the money. Your better off with a cut open ported and polished manifold with the runners made into velocity stacks. That's when you will feel the all around gains.

that is a pretty accurate assessment of what is done to the Diesel Dr. manifold. In reference to velocity stacks, I am not sure how that is even possible with the less than 1 inch of material that is there to work with.

I wouldn't say half the flow for half the money. Half the money for sure, just wouldn't say half the flow.

I am fairly certain a completely stock manifold flows more than half of what the fully ported and polished units on the market do, so a stock one with the posts removed will certainly flow more than half.

I purchased a Diesel Dr. manifold for my build, this is how my thought process went. My truck has ported heads, but only mildly ported utilizing the stock valves, so there is not that much flow over stock. I am one of those people who has no problem paying less to get less and paying more to get more, if the more is worth it to me. I spent lots of time researching the options for ported intake manifolds, and the big thing that I found was nothing. That's right, there is no factual data to suggest that a fully ported intake manifold will lead to increased performance over a lightly ported intake. It makes sense that there would be a performance gain, but no one has proven it, and more importantly, no one has proven that said performance gain is worth the extra cost. Maybe prices have changed, but my manifold with egr removed and powder coated my choice of color was well under $1k, and it was not warped at all. The point is why should I spend extra on a product that appears like it will perform better, with no data showing it performs better, particularly when I know that my heads will be the limiting component with minimal work to the manifold.

There is no question that with the diesel dr. manifold you pay less to get less, what you need to decide, is do you really need more?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I ran a Pmax on a stock manifold. It performed as many have posted, laggy with more flow up top. I was running some older tuning at the time nothing was "updated". I had studs installed along with a GOGO Stage 1. Adding the manifold made a HUGE difference in how the Pmax spooled. I ran this combo for a few months before changing the tuning to TSD SPD. Once again a HUGE difference in how the truck performed. I'm now running Looney Wild and it's all working great.

In the end ANY modded intake will be better than the stock one. Just cause no numbers are out there doesn't mean there's no significant gains. If I could do the studs install differently I would have put more money into porting the heads just to have it done. Do I think porting my heads now would add anything? Nope. It would be a waste of time and money to pull the heads off.

If anyone is thinking of a performance build porting of the heads and manifold, maybe a cam, need to be part of the mod list.

ODAWG714

Reaction score
Adam there's plenty of material to punch open the tops and there's a big difference in seat of the pants feel. Ask me how I know lol I've ran 3 fricken manifolds and all 3 were different.

ford rules

Reaction score
So port matching the heads is a worth while thing to do if there off anyways? In your opinion?

sleeps

Reaction score
So port matching the heads is a worth while thing to do if there off anyways? In your opinion?

port matching is always worth doing in anything automotive unless doing it cost you alot of time or money. if heads were already off, yes. but taking the heads off just to port match? no.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
i laid my eyes on a diesel doctor ported manifold an there is a lot less material inside of it than a stock.. but thats my thing.. why pay 1300 for a gogo or a zmax if im not planning on porting my heads and all that.. only thing im wanting is to get a more equal flow of air from my front cylenders to the back.. and get the most out of what i already have to work with... and i believe the diesel doctor with get me the power im looking for... for less than half the price of the competition..

RescueF250

Reaction score
I personally run the diesel dr manifold. I did log info prior to and after ive noticed a gain. Wether you want to believe it or its my opinion. Across the board at different throttle positions I saw a boost pressure gain, a drop egts, boost definitly came on faster then before seeing high boost pressures at different throttle position. Roughly a 2-5 psi increase iirc as for egt seen roughly 100 degree cooler then before no tuning was changed ran the same tune. It aint the fully ported manifold eberyone wants but me personally im happy with it.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
see and thats what i would expect for 500.00...
im gonna have Garret @ powerstroke magic get my converter and trans installed and run it on his dyno and then pop a diesel dr. manifold in and then run it again.. and see the actual difference is between the stock and a mild ported manifold is.

Jeremysmith9902

Reaction score
ill be sure to post before and after numbers so people can take the info as they will and make their decisions as they will.... i havent seen any actual dyno number from anyone advertising the ported intakes.. so this will be a good start..

Latest posts

Members online