Possible purchase

08_Superduty

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im looking at purchasing a 2001 Ford 7.3. The truck is pretty sweet, its been lifted and has some cool american force rims on it. My only concern is it has about 200,000 miles on it, with that amount of miles is there anything I should pay extra attention too? I dont know that much about 7.3's as im mainly a 6.4 guy. Any advise is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neverkickn

Reaction score
Long story short, how does it cold start and does it loose power or run rough when hot?

mustube

Reaction score
Drive it cold too to see if the injectors stick. Carfax and Oasis reports are probably a good idea.

MSTR-P

Reaction score
You're probably already aware...some auto trannys start having problems around that mileage.

mandkole

Reaction score
You'll need to do some reading as its all been said. If you're familiar with old diesels and buying used cars, you'll know what to look for. If not, take someone who's knowledgable with you. Please dont let rims and a lift get you excited.

When I was 6.0 shopping, I knew little about them with the exception of what I began to learn on forums. I just looked at/ drove a few trucks and made observations. I asked specific questions and got the owner/sellers response. I then checked the forums for like comments and asked questions.

Tell us more after you've looked at it. Good luck

alradco

Reaction score
If it's been maintained properly I wouldn't worry about the miles. Make sure you get the front end checked out along with the other things mentioned above.

08_Superduty

Reaction score
Thanks guys, im taking it on a test drive and inspection next week. Ill let ya'll know if I made a deal with him.

08_Superduty

Reaction score
How do you check for blow by? Ive been told you take the oil cap off while its idling and check for smoke, but that doest sound to smart to me.

d7es3l

Reaction score
How do you check for blow by? Ive been told you take the oil cap off while its idling and check for smoke, but that doest sound to smart to me.

Get the engine up to operating temperature. Take the oil cap off, flip it over onto the fill tube and if the pressure blows the cap off, the blow by is bad. Smoke is normal but if the pressure is too high, it's gonna need a rebuild soon.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Make sure its set right over the hole too lol. If I don't set it down right it will vibrate with the engine and slowly work its way off the valve cover. If it blows it off faaaast, then walk away lol

08_Superduty

Reaction score
Deal didnt go through, way to beat. Plus I learned it was the guys sons truck that he drove in highschool. Didnt even bother doing a blow by test, I sorta figured since it was puffing black smoke at idle after it was warmed up it wasnt gonna do good when I took the oil cap off

d7es3l

Reaction score
Deal didnt go through, way to beat. Plus I learned it was the guys sons truck that he drove in highschool. Didnt even bother doing a blow by test, I sorta figured since it was puffing black smoke at idle after it was warmed up it wasnt gonna do good when I took the oil cap off

That's okay, it takes a while to find a keeper especially when they're this old. Keep looking! It's out there somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.