Propane Injection System?

cpadolf3

Reaction score
I've heard that some really significant gains in HP, TQ, and MPG can come from doing a LPG Injection setup into the intake. They appear to be very simple. I'm cheap though, and don't want to spend $400 on a setup. Any ideas on how to make one for cheaper? I'm very handy with this sort of thing. Just don't have enough experience with LPGI to risk damaging the engine. Also, does it have any detrimental effects on the engine?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with it at all. It's very hard to regulate and if it fails open you motor is trashed.

Get a chip with some custom programming and you will be much happier and safer.

CurtisF

Reaction score
If you want to destroy a motor quickly, use propane for power gains.

cpadolf3

Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with it at all. It's very hard to regulate and if it fails open you motor is trashed.

Get a chip with some custom programming and you will be much happier and safer.
I'm already running a performance chip, GTP38 turbo, exhaust, etc. Just looking for an extra source of power that is a little less common than just a programmer. I thought about water/meth injection, but the kits are so damn expensive, and I feel like it'd be very difficult to fab my own

cpadolf3

Reaction score
Heard LPG is hard on the rings???
This would make sense. Because it's injected through the intake, it messes with the timing, so it's actually firing on the compression stroke. I just thought that doing it in small bursts would be less critical

cpadolf3

Reaction score
I've done some more research today. It sounds like the premade kits are safer? They control flow based off of boost level?

sootie

Reaction score
If 400.00 is too much for you to spend on something, maybe rethink adding power to a 7.3....or better yet, forget the diesel game altogether.

cpadolf3

Reaction score
Not trying to make a street machine. Just looking for cheap ways to add power. I own a diesel truck to use it. I tow every single day, and use 4x4 every other weekend. It's not just a pavement princess. I just wanted a little more umph when I'm towing. Not looking for a bigger turbo (already have the GTP38R) or anything too crazy

CurtisF

Reaction score
What have you seen Curtis?

7.3L injection system (really any injection system invented since the 80's) designed to place fuel at an exact time. Now you add propane which puts whatever amount of fuel into the intake, taking all SOI control completely away, and hoping for the best.

That's why propane injection for power increases is the absolute worst and stupidest idea ever. Anyone who disagrees doesn't have the first clue how diesel engines operate.

Ask anyone within the last 2 decades that has added propane injection for HP increases. Let's see how many of those motors are still alive today. I bet I can count on one hand.

And I bet the number that have tried have been in the hundreds if not more.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Propane has been used on diesels but it must be controlled in small amounts to aid in complete combustion to increase fuel economy. Many guys who cranked up the propane to boost power blew rods thru the block. When too much propane is used to increase power engine damage can occur. That being said I would not waste my time. Many have setup diesels including the 7.3 to run on CNG. CNG if I recall has higher resistance to predetonation than propane which makes it safer to run in a diesel engine. CNGs ignition point is some 600° higher than gasoline. However CNG kits cost more to purchase and or even build and they need to be done safely as the CNG is compressed to 3600 psi. I looked into a CNG dual fuel conversion but the cost of the materials vs fuel economy gain would take me years to make back the difference. Not to mention riding around with highly compressed tanks on board. The kits that are epa approved and such cost a lot but that's the route I would go. If something goes wrong and your 3600psi system ruptures and someone gets hurt or worse it's not going to be good. Anyone who does build a CNG kit should not skimp on cheap parts...good regulators, correct rated lines, tanks that are correctly rated and not expired, sturdy safety tank straps etc. In lots of poor countries they run CNG and there are "explosive accidents all the time often at the fueling stations because they are cobbling together low quality systems.
cng refuse truck that blew up below.
http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/wp-content/uploads/13newsnowChesapeake.jpg
Tank ruptured
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ng-explodes-in-indianapolis-video-91725-7.jpg
Long story short due your 7.3 a favor and buy some bigger sticks and a tune and enjoy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online