Pulled the trigger on a 6.0

davidm781

Reaction score
Alright alright so I finally picked up a 6.0.. It is my first diesel I was stuck between a 6.0 and 7.3. I just happened to be at my buddy's dads shop and he had a truck roll in for a oil change, and noticed white smoke rolling out of the exhaust. He called the guy on the phone let him know the problem, and told the guy it was either head gasket or EGR/oil cooler issue. The guy basically said that he would rather sell the truck than deal with the problem. It is a 1 owner 2004 F-350 CCLB Lariat 4x4 (rust free :redspotdance: ) with 200K miles 100K on new long block with receipts. So I jumped on it and bought the truck for 2,000. Knowing either I was in for a head gasket replacement or egr/oil cooler job I rolled the dice. Having the truck trailered back to my garage this week. I ordered one of those bubble testers from bulletproof diesel. Hopefully that can tell me a little more about what I am dealing with. So far from looking at the truck there was no coolant in the oil, and going to pull the egr tomorrow to see how it looks inside. Doesn't look like the degas has been puking coolant either so hoping I get lucky and its just egr/oil cooler replacement. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated also looking for a vendor with good prices to order either the bullet proof kit if its a head gasket replacement!

EDIT: also planning on doing the banjo bolts, blue spring kit, and coolant filter kit while I have it apart.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
well, your buddy kinda screwed the guy, but hooked you up as a head gasket on a 6.0 doesn't cause white smoke rolling out the exhaust :eek:

jake74

Reaction score
well, your buddy kinda screwed the guy, but hooked you up as a head gasket on a 6.0 doesn't cause white smoke rolling out the exhaust :eek:

OP said he told him could be egr or head gaskets so doesn't sound like he screwed the guy as he gave him the 2 options it could be.

davidm781

Reaction score
OP said he told him could be egr or head gaskets so doesn't sound like he screwed the guy as he gave him the 2 options it could be.

I imagine the guy was just tired of dealing with the truck. I don't think the last motor he had bought was under warranty either. So I don't think he really screwed him just told him potentially what the problem was. The guy didn't even want to pay for a proper diagnosis. I am assuming its egr/oil cooler so I will probably start there. Has anyone ever used one of the bullet proof diesel bubble tester? I know its not a 100% accurate diagnosis to the problem, but if I can avoid pulling the heads I would like to.

I am going to guess it is steam coming out of the exhaust from a bad egr.. I honestly have no clue though until my buddy and I start working on it when it gets here.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

right... but a blown head gasket doesn't typically present like that on a 6.0...

I get that the guy didn't want to deal with it, but still...

davidm781

Reaction score
right... but a blown head gasket doesn't typically present like that on a 6.0...

I get that the guy didn't want to deal with it, but still...

I agree.. Either way the guy wanted to sell the truck so I bought it. I mean I based my purchase off of it being the head gasket or EGR too so we will see what happens we may have both got screwed haha only difference is I am not paying someone 5,000 to do the work ill do it myself and fix it

Latest posts

Members online