quick spool valve

08KingRanchF250

Reaction score
ok so just thinking out loud here or unless ive messed something i havnt seen it used yet. ive got a couple big single surpa buddies and we where discussing the use of a quick spool valve on a big single or set of big twins for the dd aspect? i did find one that fits a t-6 flange and can be controlled by a hobbs switch.. thoughts on this guys?

derrick36

Reaction score

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There are pros and cons. If it doesn't actuate properly after back pressure has built up, whether the boost reference blew off or just malfunction, it's massive back pressure scenario, blown hg or worse.

Contrarily when they function properly I could definitely see the turbo spooling faster. You will also need a divided exhaust housing on the turbo.

It has definitely been used, Shawn used it on his twin setup successfully, others not so successfully.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Feel free to post up with your knowledge on the subject..... or whatever it is you find on Google. If you knew your ass from a hole in the ground you would know that a properly sized single, or compounds do not need spool valves. Case in point is the Elite line up of turbo's as well as the available single kits for the 6.4's.

As stated earlier, I think that Ellerton is the only one I've ever heard of that doesn't have issues with the valves. Sticking, weak diaphragms, etc., all plague the systems I've seen

Last edited:

MINK

Reaction score
Feel free to post up with your knowledge on the subject..... or whatever it is you find on Google. If you knew your ass from a hole in the ground you would know that a properly sized single, or compounds do not need spool valves. Case in point is the Elite line up of turbo's as well as the available single kits for the 6.4's.

As stated earlier, I think that Ellerton is the only one I've ever heard of that doesn't have issues with the valves. Sticking, weak diaphragms, etc., all plague the systems I've seen

Your right I must know nothing. You havnt said anything that hasn't already been said. OP is this something you want to do on your own setup or just kicking the idea around? You run a Mpd single now correct?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Your right I must know nothing. You havnt said anything that hasn't already been said. OP is this something you want to do on your own setup or just kicking the idea around? You run a Mpd single now correct?

What needs to be said other then what already has?? I'm banking on the fact that your brain doesn't have the ability to back up your mouth.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OK boyz - lets play nice. LOL

Steve - I do agree with your first comment - but there is a bit more to it than that. A spool up valve in reality is just a method of creating a variable turbo setup - not all that different than a VGT or VNT except for the specific method of which the A/R ratio of the turbine housing is controlled. So if you start out planning on using a quick spool valve when you size your turbo - then couldn't it be conceivable that the turbo is sized appropriately?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
OK boyz - lets play nice. LOL

Steve - I do agree with your first comment - but there is a bit more to it than that. A spool up valve in reality is just a method of creating a variable turbo setup - not all that different than a VGT or VNT except for the specific method of which the A/R ratio of the turbine housing is controlled. So if you start out planning on using a quick spool valve when you size your turbo - then couldn't it be conceivable that the turbo is sized appropriately?

Absolutely! However, these things don't(IMO) have the same precise control of the turbine side like say a Gt40vgt might. Granted you still have problems with sticking vanes in some areas, whatever but at the end of the day you can manipulate VGT tables far beyond a spool valve. The biggest problem I have with the setups is that they end up choking down one bank tremendously(as they are intended to, im aware but it flirts disasterously close with High exhayst bp, egt's, Etc.,)Big singles and spool valves on 6.0's still don't spool like you'd think with the valve in place. To me, it's worth the exta time to sit down and size your turbine side and exhaust housing properly to get what you are after. I see the advantages of the quick spool valve, sure, and it very well may be effective for some but unfortunately for most, it is just one of those deals that doesn't work out on the road like it does on paper.

Besides, why add more problems to an already struggling turbo charger? Things added in to the equation after the spool valve install like adding another exhaust gasket, the very high risk of the valve sticking closed, not opening at desired RPM's. All things that make me believe they are not worry the hassle.

Ask Matt Maroni what he thinks about Spool Valves, or Craig at MPD.

Last edited:

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
The first one I tried lasted 10miles before it seized up and had to replace from bd and I did not notice any difference in the spool up with it

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Absolutely! However, these things don't(IMO) have the same precise control of the turbine side like say a Gt40vgt might. Granted you still have problems with sticking vanes in some areas, whatever but at the end of the day you can manipulate VGT tables far beyond a spool valve. The biggest problem I have with the setups is that they end up choking down one bank tremendously(as they are intended to, im aware but it flirts disasterously close with High exhayst bp, egt's, Etc.,)Big singles and spool valves on 6.0's still don't spool like you'd think with the valve in place. To me, it's worth the exta time to sit down and size your turbine side and exhaust housing properly to get what you are after. I see the advantages of the quick spool valve, sure, and it very well may be effective for some but unfortunately for most, it is just one of those deals that doesn't work out on the road like it does on paper.

Besides, why add more problems to an already struggling turbo charger? Things added in to the equation after the spool valve install like adding another exhaust gasket, the very high risk of the valve sticking closed, not opening at desired RPM's. All things that make me believe they are not worry the hassle.

Ask Matt Maroni what he thinks about Spool Valves, or Craig at MPD.

Points taken and agreed with - but I will just say that the concept of a spool valve in general can be everything it needs to be even if the current crop of commercial implementations are not everything they need to be.

MINK

Reaction score
What needs to be said other then what already has?? I'm banking on the fact that your brain doesn't have the ability to back up your mouth.

You have bashed me in every post - your maturity shows well.

I dont disagree on proper turbo setup to avoid spool-up issues by any means. The op asked about the valve so that is the info he wanted - this was never a what turbo thread? I'm curious to what the op is really wanting to know about a spool up valve as I'm almost positive he is running a single.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You are lost. I'm done mucking up this tech thread. If you have some info, personal experience, or knowledge on the subject, post up. Otherwise, let it go

Back on track:

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
I had the BD Power diverter valve on my 66/71/80, and another "Sound Performance" Quick Spool Valve on the S480.
Only ran a week and ahalf, but it worked...you could watch the drive pressure climb until the actuator started to open the valve, then the drive pressure dropped to normal.

I found that the T-6 Quick Spool valve was easier to deal with because the pressure was low enough that it never blew the line off. (I never got a chance to tube the feeback line in...only used the silicone hose with clamps.)
The 70-80+ psi out of the secondary was too much for the silicone hose...braided line, or stainless steel tubing would be what I use next time.

But...I changed both turbos...so I do have a T-6 spool valve for sale if interested. (Only has a week and a half of use on it.)

08KingRanchF250

Reaction score
first of all yes im running mpds 72/83 with .9 a/r on stock fuel, im happy with spool up of what ive got and know it will get better once i add fuel.. my reasoning in posting was to see if there where any experiences with it plus maybe down the road i mite try and go for an s480 single and thought i might could use this. but i am well aware you need to have the right sizing of turbo, just trying to do alittle thinking out of the box which is what being on here is about right? thanks for the info everyone

Latest posts

Members online