Ran a paper rag through my engine!

Reaction score
I made a big mistake last night, Having the flu and it being 1:30 am, I forgot to take a blue paper rag out of one of my intercooler pipes, I was in there installing head studs, valve springs, Pushrods, and 300/200's. The truck started normally for replacing injectors, but after a few seconds I started noticing black flakes coming out of my exhaust, for awhile I thought they were just big soot particles but then I realized they were pieces of a burnt rag, I looked for the rag but it had already run through, I started it back up and I think its running fine for having tuning for 160/80's, my turbo does sound way different than it used to but could that just be from the huge difference in injectors? I shouldn't have been rushing and I feel like an idiot:cursing:. Thank god it wasn't a red rag. Think its ok?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it again but I bet your fine. Now if it had ran through the charger you would likely have issues.

Bit of advice. Next time you have the flu, go the *** to bedLOL

farmall99

Reaction score
I would still pull the spyder and check the plenums. If they're still stock I wouldn't be surprised to find pieces of rag in there. Just a thought.

Reaction score
So heres an update on my truck, I finally got my TS back and was hoping the way it was running was just due to tuning, but I think I have a bent valve, it doesn't have excessive blow by, but when I crank it has a big dead spot, it idles wicked rough and shutters VERY hard under acceleration, and when I let off in gear I can hear a really weird pinging and it sounds like the bent valve hitting the seat. Should I just buy a takeout or get a reman cylinder head?

mattman347

Reaction score
I would identify the cylinder first with a scan tool and see which one fails a contribution test. Then take that side off and look for bent pushrods or a rocker broke.

Reaction score
So I brought the truck into work and performed a buzz test and got two codes #P1293 and #P1294 For injector high side open bank 1/2? the codes weren't stored either they ere a result of the buzz test. I also ran a cylinder contribution test and got the codes #P0266 and #P0269 for cylinders 2/3?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Very hard to do a contribution test on a stock engine let alone a after marketed engine. Do it several times. Drive it and do it again and see if you get the same cylinders just so you have a reference.

It's possible you bent a valve. Who knows unless you pull it down and check.

A better test would be a cylinder pressure check. Then go from there.

Reaction score
So I finally took my truck apart last Wednesday and I got very lucky. After getting the codes on the contribution test for 2&3 I went in with the intent to inspect and perform a compression test. When pushing in the quick release fitting on the #2 cylinder I found my mistake, when bolting the rocker arms back into place I wasn't careful when lining up the pushrod and the sharp edge around the cup where the pushrod gets held in place gouged into the very top of the pushrod and it never seated into place, holding the intake valve open ever so slightly and causing a loss in compression. I seated the pushrod and checked compression in all cylinders, I had 395 in all 8. I pulled the #2 injector out and inspected the piston with a borescope and it looked unharmed. When I was inspecting the pushrod I noticed scoring in the middle and I looked down into the block and realized that the noise was actually from the pushrod hitting the head gasket. I just got it back together and it runs perfect haha I feel like such a dumb ass.

JD3020

Reaction score
Damn you're lucky!

Back in high school a buddy and I did tractor troubleshooting competitions through FFA. We were talking to one of the guys running a contest one day and he was telling us about how they used to shove a rag into the intake to cause a no-start. Apparently they had a brand new 140hp Deere they were using, somebody was screwing with the intake and was able to get it started. Well they didn't pull the rag out, sucked it through the charger which sent metal through the engine. Tore some **** up.

Reaction score
All the pieces that came out weren't even burnt, it had to have run through, but I'd think they would have burnt a little at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online