Rear end ticking or clicking driveing

justintimemoto

Reaction score
I had bad wheel seals and i changed them about two weeks ago. put 75-140 with the friction modifier in it. Driveing down the thruway last night my rear end started to tick click. I put it on the jack stands and it wont do it with the wheels off the ground. So i put it back on the ground and it does it only while the truck is on the ground. If this helps at all when i pull a trailer the truck will start to shudder and shake when i take off or go up a hill when its under a load and i will have to let off the gas. Any help will be appreciated it sounds like its coming from the right side. is there a way to check if the bearings are bad i shook the tire back and forth and there is no play at all. Am i looking at a new rear end?:/ Thanks

justintimemoto

Reaction score
i just checked the wheel bearings they seem to be fine also checked the gears in the rear end they also look fine nothing broke or missing from what i saw

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Unless there was some sort of hard hit the diff housing took that bent it some, it sure sounds like bad bearings.

Did you follow the Ford procedure for torquing used bearings? They don't take as much preload as new bearings.

The shuddering might not be related. That sounds like a u-joint/driveline shudder from misalignment when you have a load on. I'm not saying it isn't possible the two issues aren't related though.

Some other things to check:

Do have any side to side or in and out play on the pinion? You might need to pull the drivshaft from the diff yoke to get an accurate feel, although that shouldn't be nessecary to check sode to side play.

It's also possible you carrier bearing is on it's way out. If you have anywhere over 80k miles or so, it's realtively cheap insurance to get it replaced for peace of mind.

justintimemoto

Reaction score
it was the simplest thing. the noise sounded like it was coming from the back but it was the front right wheel. rust built up on the rotor and broke off on the dust cover :doh: But im glad i checked everything so i know all is good thanks

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Had a similar thing. I put it in drive, rolled down the rolled, hear clicking than my rears locked up... i reversed, clicked, then forward... it turned out to be the e-brakes. they came apart... thought for sure my diff was toast

Mdub707

Reaction score
Justin, that rust on the rotor certainly wasn't what was causing the shudder going up hills though, you've still got something else going on...

Latest posts

Members online