Rear main replacement.

02BigD

Reaction score
Rear main has been leaking for a bit, and it got worse since i came back from vacation. Is there a special tool to remove the old seal and wear sleeve? Where can one get the tool to install the new one from?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Just use the flex plate spacer. The seal will come with the wear sleeve installed. Apply your rtv and loctite and put three bolts into the crank and turn each one a little at a time till the ring is seated. When you get the seal close to the rear cover you will want to start the bolts that attach the seal so that it guides it into place.

Do not seperate the wear ring from the seal at any time.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Is this a rebuilt motor? reason I ask is that a factory build should not have a wear ring installed. If it does you can grind the old one off. Just be sure that you don't grind it all the way through. Grind it to paper thin and then lightly tap it with a flat blade screw driver on the edge of the wear ring. That will break it at the grind spot and allow you to pull it off.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just use the flex plate spacer. The seal will come with the wear sleeve installed. Apply your rtv and loctite and put three bolts into the crank and turn each one a little at a time till the ring is seated. When you get the seal close to the rear cover you will want to start the bolts that attach the seal so that it guides it into place.

Do not seperate the wear ring from the seal at any time.

Why do you not want to separate the seal and wear ring?

02BigD

Reaction score
Yes, it has been rebuilt. I am asking questions, based upon putting the motor together 4 years ago, and the details have become sketchy at best. Does the seal itself get any kind of sealer or lube prior to installation?

Last edited:

neverkickn

Reaction score
Why do you not want to separate the seal and wear ring?

The instructions say not to. I assume it is to prevent from distorting the seal contact with the wear ring.

Yes, it has been rebuilt. I am asking questions, based upon putting the motor together 4 years ago. Does the seal itself get any kind of sealer or lube prior to installation?

I am guessing you mean the rubber part that contacts the wear ring? in that case, I wouldn't. While I was taught to never install a dry oring/seal, i would tend to do so here to prevent from contaminating the crank side of the wear ring and the seal flange where it contacts the rear cover.

The seal flange should get a small bead of the oil pan rtv and the crank side of the wear ring should get a layer of loctite. I forget the type of loctite you should use.

Cody

Reaction score
That's the same instructions I used.. It's pretty self explanatory once your in there

02BigD

Reaction score
Glad to help.

On the PDF, I see no where that loctite is mentioned, just RTV. Did I miss something? Can't wait to play with RTV, picking my skin off for weeks is fun.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Glad to help.

On the PDF, I see no where that loctite is mentioned, just RTV. Did I miss something? Can't wait to play with RTV, picking my skin off for weeks is fun.

You can do it without getting it all over your hands, lol. Keep a quart of mineral.spirits near and a.rag. Comes right off!

02BigD

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I was more messing than anything. Gloves are definitely my friend, RTV just amazes me with how tough it it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.