rear main seal advice...

Mad Max

Reaction score
in, out and all around the matrix you live in
So. I'm fixing to do a rear main seal on my 94.5 powerstroke, never have had to do one before on these trucks so is there anything I need to know about, I e torquing down bolt around the seal ect, or is it pretty straightforward? Thanks

roughstockcowboy

Reaction score
Its easy, if it has been replaced before it will have a journal repair sleeve on the crankshaft journal, the new one if it ie oem will have one.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If its not leaking dont touch it lol.

If it has been done and has the sleeve on the crack you have to remove that as its part of the new seal.

I used the spacer and 3 bolts to run it on with, just have a friend man one ratchet an run them in together. Use nothing but the grey death rtv.

Bugman

Reaction score
The big thing is that if you have a leak make sure of where it is leaking from before you replace the rear main. They don't go bad on these trucks very often.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Valley leaks are often confused as rear main seal leaks. They RARELY go on these trucks.

94TurboDiesel

Reaction score
Make sure it isn't your oil pan gasket leaking first I just finish pulling the motor on mine to put in a new oil pan which I thought at first was the rear main but it ended up being the gasket under the rear main and the pan were cracked

Latest posts

Members online