Red Head Steering Gear.. My Thoughts

Zmann

Reaction score
I tightened mine up 3 years ago after I bought it to the tune of 3 full turns

a little at a time over a week

has been fine since I even made a long arse Allen wrench to make life easier when going in from the side

that and a block to hold the fender well liner up

Zmann

Reaction score
stroker it looks similar to this on top of the steering gear

129_0801_34_z+saginaw_steering_box+adjust_sector_shaft_tension.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i never said it was an end all fix.. just something to consider trying...

first ive heard of a failure from it though.. think ive put 80k on mine after adjustment. can only adjust some thjngs so far if they are that far gone.

live life full throttle

Zmann

Reaction score
probably the high failure rate you have read about is from folks screwing it up ?

the proper procedure is off the truck using a spring style torque wrench at the input shaft

if you take it to far and leave it it's a problem

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont want to give the impression Im saying dont adjust steering boxes or something like that.

Ive adjusted over 150 or more cars and trucks and Ive only had one failure personally. But that failure I think came from over tightening it. Was a manual box with a ton of miles on it. Ive seen 3 other cases of failures from overtightening.

I still adjust them to this day. Im just very careful how much I adjust :) Usually only needs up to 1 to 1 and 1/2 turns. When I started going past 3 full turns on mine I stopped. No way I was going more after what happened to me in the past.

redheads are dead

Reaction score
good luck getting your refund or core refund from Redhead. It's been weeks for me. Never again!!!!

I did another steering gear from AutoZone. It wasn't adjusted properly out of box (rebuilt) but I had no problem loosening it so it works perfectly and with their lifetime warranty and price - you can't beat it. Plus the core refund is instant!!!

Get with it RedHead! (still don't have my refund and calling every day!!!

ToMang07

Reaction score
good luck getting your refund or core refund from Redhead. It's been weeks for me. Never again!!!!

I did another steering gear from AutoZone. It wasn't adjusted properly out of box (rebuilt) but I had no problem loosening it so it works perfectly and with their lifetime warranty and price - you can't beat it. Plus the core refund is instant!!!

Did you really make an account just to bash a product? And then post in a 2+ year old thread?

Get a life or a hobby.

Jomax

Reaction score
I've used red head 3 times. And one just recently. Transaction went perfect. And the box it's perfect.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score

likely because you are a bastard... i've never had a problem with their product or transactions...

n54power

Reaction score
I love mine. My dad has one on his dodge too.
I've collected a.few old.cores for guys to use son the don't have to pay the core fee.

pdumont01

Reaction score
Never heard of redhead, I put a ford reman in and that fixed my slop. I had a half turn of the steering wheel of play, I tried to adjust the preload but all it did was bind when the wheel was at center. I was forced to replace it. Are redheads supposed to be better than ford?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I just put one on a guys 2nd gen dodge and it is awesome. I'm going to be ordering one for my duramax.

sootie

Reaction score
Never heard of redhead, I put a ford reman in and that fixed my slop. I had a half turn of the steering wheel of play, I tried to adjust the preload but all it did was bind when the wheel was at center. I was forced to replace it. Are redheads supposed to be better than ford?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes-way better. They machine out the bushings and install needle bearings.