Regulated Return Problems

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Okay so I have DI regulated return on my truck for maybe 2 weeks. Ive noticed a strong smell like its leaking fuel that can be smelled from the cab but when I look I dont see anything wet or any pooling. Also, when I turn the truck off and say I start it 5 min later it cranks over a few extra times because its lacking fuel. Is this normal or is their something I can adjust?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Anything leaking to the ground?
Possible that the feed lines to the back of the head are leaking/not torqued properly and fuel is running down back of engine and pooling on trans/inspection plate. Probably wouldn't notice if this was the case unless the pump is running and lines are pressurized while the truck is stationary.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I'd check the lines to the back of the heads. Mechanics mirror with the truck running. Or pull the inspection plate from the bottom of the trans and see if it is wet.
Lines will only leak with the fuel system primed, so it may be leaking to the ground while you are moving and then the system de-pressurizes (yes i realize this isn't actually a word) when the truck is shut off before enough fuel leaks to start dripping from inspection plate.
If you have a manual this becomes more of an issue. Seen quite a few high dollar clutches get ruined by a fuel leak.

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Its an auto but that would make sense because I can smell fuel the most when Im in second gear and just rolling.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Did you happen to wash off the engine after the install? I would try that first, and second pop your hood cycle the key on and watch the guage, it should go up to 60ish or whatever you have your psi at, then turn the key to the off position, the guage should stay there for a while. If you have a leak somewhere it will bleed off psi quickly.

dustinz85

Reaction score
Did you happen to wash off the engine after the install? I would try that first, and second pop your hood cycle the key on and watch the guage, it should go up to 60ish or whatever you have your psi at, then turn the key to the off position, the guage should stay there for a while. If you have a leak somewhere it will bleed off psi quickly.

:whs: the one back fitting i had leaked a little bit, noticed it on the gauge when i cycled the key.

Rupp250

Reaction score
You had a shop do the work? Why don't you take it back and have them take a look. If you smell fuel, it must be coming from somewhere.

Whytry

Reaction score
Have someone rev up the engine and look I had a small leak on mine a while back and it wouldnt leak at idle just when i rev it up. One of my lines was leaking on a fitting installed a clamp and i was good

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Alright so I popped the hood after it ran and the gauge was at 30psi when it was normally at 60 and it was dropping and stopped at about 25. Since I had the shop do it Im not too sure of what fuel lines went where but I believe my stock line is leaking where it connects into the black hose at the very beginning of the system over my hpop. The line is wet but I cant see any holes or anything and Im a lil short staffed to have someone rev it up for me. This weekend I should be able to take a look at it but do you think I can get away with just putting some sorta clamp on it or should I replace the whole line?...I dont know why I ask but I know I should just replace the entire thing.

Lang

Reaction score
If you PAID to have it done I'd bring it back to the shop...............

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
If they installed it, and it's something they touched that is leaking... Then yeah, take it back.

Arisley

Reaction score
Bring it back to the shop...

You had a shop do the work? Why don't you take it back and have them take a look. If you smell fuel, it must be coming from somewhere.

If you PAID to have it done I'd bring it back to the shop...............

If they installed it, and it's something they touched that is leaking... Then yeah, take it back.

2nd that on taking it back to the shop who installed it....

What they all said........................................................

Or just do whatever you want.

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Just called the shop they are trying to not take it but hes a good guy normally and thinks something is lose and that I can tighten it on my own. Im just gunna take it there and try to find someway to get to my classes

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
i did my fuel kit last week. like you, I found a leak. BUT my leak was a crack that came out of the hole that was on the back side of the passenger head. wasn't cracked before the install. now i have to take the whole head off.

what im getting at is that i'm jealous of you for just having a small leak somewhere!

Latest posts

Members online